Author Topic: Karl Weigl (1881-1949)  (Read 1805 times)

Popov

Karl Weigl (1881-1949)
« on: June 17, 2010, 03:49:30 PM »
Today I listened to these two CDs:

When the CD with Symphony No. 5 was released around 2002 I read a review in Gramophone (a translation was edited here for a while) saying there was this striking gesture of radicalism of beginning with the orchestra tuning but otherwise it was disappointingly mild for an "apocalyptic symphony". Nothing spectacular indeed, but the Adagio is beautiful and overall it's an enjoyable ride, though I liked better No. 6; I found it more powerful, concentrated and absorbing. Old Vienna was a lot of fun and considering its personal and historic circumstances its nostalgia is touching, but my favorite of all four works was the extremely enjoyable, sparkling Fantastic Intermezzo. It makes me eager to listen more of his music back in Vienna, so I think I will fo gor this:

What do you think of Weigl's music?

snyprrr

Re: Karl Weigl (1881-1949)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 08:45:09 PM »
I think I will fo gor this:

What do you think of Weigl's music?

Please do let me know if I'll like them! ;D

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 02:31:48 AM »
I have No 5 which I quire enjoyed but tend to agree that after the fun opening it is less apocalyptic than expected. Please can you tell me a bit more about Symphony no 6.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline CaramelJones

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 03:20:35 AM »
Please do let me know if I'll like them! ;D

What do you like? :P

Weigl is very much in that Viennese style of Zemlinsky, Berg, Webern etc.

The Artis Quartet are superb.  These renditions are the best I've heard.

I wouldn't say it was indispensible music.  Interesting, yes.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 08:23:08 PM »
I remember really enjoying Sym 5.  Time for a followup.

cilgwyn

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 05:04:56 AM »
I have the cd of the String Quartets. I'll have a listen to it as soon as possible. I actually bought it,at the time,because I was looking for lesser known,ambitious and very long,String Quartets. It seemed to fit the bill. I found it intriguing;but I would need another listen.