Author Topic: What game are you playing?  (Read 158032 times)

Offline Elgarian Redux

Re: What game are you playing?
« Reply #1500 on: April 30, 2019, 11:31:59 PM »

So you probably already went over this in detail already, but... if you stop the storyline and just explore, wouldn't you get to a point where you've seen everything? Then what?

Well, to a great extent, it's the kind of game where that question isn't relevant. It's like saying, when you've done all the country walks in your local neighbourhood, once, then what?

As a matter of fact I did decide recently to let the game narrative progress just a little, so the gang was able to move camp to a spot by a great lake. I could then buy a boat, and also this meant it was much easier to go fishing, and provided a really nice change of local scenery, a new set of local townsfolk and shops nearby, in the town of Rhodes, and a different gang of rival outlaws (the Lemoyne Raiders) to deal with. I shall stick with this for some time now.

'Then what?' is a long way off yet.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 11:48:32 PM by Elgarian Redux »

Offline greg

« Reply #1501 on: May 02, 2019, 06:08:41 AM »
Well, to a great extent, it's the kind of game where that question isn't relevant. It's like saying, when you've done all the country walks in your local neighbourhood, once, then what?

As a matter of fact I did decide recently to let the game narrative progress just a little, so the gang was able to move camp to a spot by a great lake. I could then buy a boat, and also this meant it was much easier to go fishing, and provided a really nice change of local scenery, a new set of local townsfolk and shops nearby, in the town of Rhodes, and a different gang of rival outlaws (the Lemoyne Raiders) to deal with. I shall stick with this for some time now.

'Then what?' is a long way off yet.
Haha, then it sounds like it isn't 100% open world. Probably just 99%.  ;D

It's a scale... the other end of the scale is Final Fantasy 13, which was like a long hallway through the first ~70% of the game, which really pissed off fans.  :D

The PS1 era JRPG's and older Final Fantasies were the best... strong narrative focus in the beginning, and was linear but didn't feel like it... then later in the game you get an airship and it becomes purely open world. A tension and release sort of thing.

It's like saying, when you've done all the country walks in your local neighbourhood, once, then what?
Great question. Everyone is different here.
Very few things I like to repeat. There was a old arcade/bar downtown that I meant to revisit, but never did... I have to really enjoy something to do it again.

Also, concerning open world games. Guild Wars 2 has the best, most ridiculously amazing game world that I've ever experienced, by far. It took me literally 3 months just to get the achievement that you get by exploring all the zones (and they added more). And all these zones are absurdly detailed.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Offline Elgarian Redux

« Reply #1502 on: May 02, 2019, 09:14:30 AM »
Very few things I like to repeat. There was a old arcade/bar downtown that I meant to revisit, but never did... I have to really enjoy something to do it again.

That's a difference, certainly. If I'm attracted to something, I want to get to know it really well (in real life, I like revisiting favourite places many times, for instance). I have favourite areas in RDR2 where I like to hang out: see which fish are biting today; which horses are roaming wild among the trees; how nasty the bears are. That sort of thing.

Incidentally, when I let the game narrative progress a little, that only changed the location of the camp and the circumstances: various triggers are tripped, so new characters and new events come into play. The locations themselves were already 'open', though fewer things happened in them.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 09:16:47 AM by Elgarian Redux »

Offline Elgarian Redux

« Reply #1503 on: May 05, 2019, 11:07:39 PM »
Here's a couple of Red Dead Redemption 2 curiosities.

By playing Arthur Morgan as an honourable character (in the sense that he only robs rival gangs), I have gradually built up a personal fortune of $22,000. Most of this has been acquired by by treasure hunting, hunting, fishing, and of course raiding other gang hideouts. For example, if you send a day fishing (nice relaxing music, exquisite weather changes, endless locations to try, a wide variety of fish to try to catch) you can catch enough fish to sell to a butcher for more than $100. One year of fishing:  $36,500. Enough for the members of the gang to retire somewhere nice. It all makes the business of robbing trains and banks seem unnecessary! So there is a sort of flaw in the game logic somewhere.

Second weird thing. Why are the game controls so clunky? Most of the controls are fine, but the simple act of picking up an object in a restricted space can prove infuriating, and even sometimes impossible. Is this a gaming problem in general, or just a Rockstar thing? I'd have thought something so elementary would have been sorted out by now.

Offline greg

« Reply #1504 on: May 06, 2019, 05:11:48 AM »
Second weird thing. Why are the game controls so clunky? Most of the controls are fine, but the simple act of picking up an object in a restricted space can prove infuriating, and even sometimes impossible. Is this a gaming problem in general, or just a Rockstar thing? I'd have thought something so elementary would have been sorted out by now.
I experienced the same thing with Final Fantasy 15 back when it first came out and wondered the same thing...

Offline Elgarian Redux

« Reply #1505 on: May 06, 2019, 12:10:39 PM »
I experienced the same thing with Final Fantasy 15 back when it first came out and wondered the same thing...
It seems especially odd because they achieved a near-miracle in creating this game, yet gave it a control system that made it almost impossible to pick up a pack of cigarettes on the table beside Arthur Morgan's bed.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Foxtrotting through a Czech village upon a Magic Night
« Reply #1506 on: May 06, 2019, 01:07:05 PM »
I’m taking a bit of a break from Horizon Zero Dawn at the moment and have been playing Spider-Man. Hugely enjoyable game so far!
"Music must be beautiful or it wouldn't be worth the effort.” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline PaulR

• Veteran member
« Reply #1507 on: May 07, 2019, 02:12:00 PM »
I’m taking a bit of a break from Horizon Zero Dawn at the moment and have been playing Spider-Man. Hugely enjoyable game so far!
Maybe I should try Horizon Zero Dawn again, but I just couldn't get into it.  :\

Loved Spiderman though

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    Foxtrotting through a Czech village upon a Magic Night
« Reply #1508 on: May 07, 2019, 04:52:01 PM »
Maybe I should try Horizon Zero Dawn again, but I just couldn't get into it.  :\

Loved Spiderman though

Hey Paul! Long-time no see! Good to see you around. It takes awhile to get into Horizon Zero Dawn and I’ll freely admit that the first few hours or so were slow going for me. But when Aloy finally grew up and started hunting on her own, I started to get pretty excited about the game.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:15:49 PM by Mirror Image »
"Music must be beautiful or it wouldn't be worth the effort.” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline Elgarian Redux

« Reply #1509 on: October 21, 2019, 02:26:58 AM »
There's been a gap of severl months since my last, so I thought I'd add an update. I am still playing Red Dead Redemption 2  with deep satisfaction. I completed the story long ago, and indeed all the by-the-way quests have been completed too, but it doesn't seem to matter. I'm treating the game as if it were a kind of holiday theme-park, which allows me to create the sequence of events. There's no great impetus to pursue any goal, now, including money - I must be the richest ex-outlaw there ever was, and can afford to buy anything available in the game-world. But no matter: the beauty of the thing is inexhaustible. The horses alone form one of the best reasons for playing - the beauty of their movements is a delight to control and watch, and they seem to have real character once you get to know them well.

Wherever I go in the game world, I'm conscious of a history - much as one experiences when pottering about anywhere in England in real life. Here in a forest in the far north-east is the clearing where I first met Charlotte Balfour and taught her how to hunt rabbits, and there in the west is the burnt-out shack where Evelyn Miller wrote his final book. Rockstar seem to have been aware of the game's potential in this regard, and if I revisit places where the gang once camped, ghostly remembered conversations of the gang members, or snatches of campfire singing, can be heard for a few moments.

In a lifetime of searching for the most rewarding works of art produced by humankind, I do not think I have ever found anything so engrossing, satisfying, and breathtakingly beautiful, as this. It has been the primary art-related activity in my daily life for nearly a year now, and I can't think of anything - any single work of art of any kind- that has been able to sustain that intensity, for so long.

Offline Iota

« Reply #1510 on: October 21, 2019, 11:10:39 AM »
Very interesting reading, ER, you make a very compelling case for it! A kind of virtual Mahler symphony perhaps. If I ever take up computer gaming (unlikely, but who knows) I'll be certain to remember your inspiring advocacy!

Offline greg

« Reply #1511 on: October 21, 2019, 06:18:26 PM »
Now that's the enthusiasm I like to hear.  :)

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1512 on: October 22, 2019, 08:16:31 AM »
Sudoku puzzles, and Wordscapes, as cognitive therapy, really.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #1513 on: October 22, 2019, 09:16:18 AM »
     I imported Windows 7 Mahjong Titans into Windows 10. Every time a major update occurs it's removed and I put it back.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0