Author Topic: Jazz Purchases  (Read 14304 times)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Re: Jazz Purchases
« Reply #200 on: November 06, 2017, 06:46:19 AM »
Bought a bunch of used discs on Amazon Marketplace:

- Six Pieces of Silver. Horace Silver with Donald Byrd and others
- Charles Mingus Sextet, Cornell 1964
- Gunslinging Birds. Mingus Big Band (post-Mingus, that is)
- Alone with Three Giants. Marcus Roberts
- See You at the Fair. Ben Webster, Hank Jones, etc.
- With Billie in Mind. Teddy Wilson
- Bean Bags. Milt Jackson, Coleman Hawkins
- Ain't But a Few of Us Left. Milt Jackson, Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown, Grady Tate (what a lineup, wow)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #201 on: November 18, 2017, 08:10:48 PM »
Today just found two very interesting Pablo LPs, and will give them a cleaning and spin (and conversion to FLAC) next month when I have time:

- Sarah Vaughan "I Love Brazil!"
- Oscar Peterson & Dizzy Gillsepie

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2017, 07:07:16 PM »
- Oscar Peterson & Dizzy Gillsepie
That's a good one - two showoffs equally matched. But I like the Oscar and Harry Edison album even more.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
  • Currently Listening to:
    all music
« Reply #203 on: November 22, 2017, 04:03:40 AM »
That's a good one - two showoffs equally matched. But I like the Oscar and Harry Edison album even more.

Edison and Eldridge! (Not sure though I've heard th Gillespie ... and definitely haven't - and don't intend to - the Faddis, fourth in that mini series).

Speaking OP an Pablo and duets/meetings, those with Count Basie are wonderful - and I guess OP w/Ella ain't half bad (a change of pace from all the lovely Ella/Pass ones).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #204 on: November 22, 2017, 08:04:36 AM »
Edison and Eldridge! (Not sure though I've heard th Gillespie ... and definitely haven't - and don't intend to - the Faddis, fourth in that mini series).

Speaking OP an Pablo and duets/meetings, those with Count Basie are wonderful - and I guess OP w/Ella ain't half bad (a change of pace from all the lovely Ella/Pass ones).
The Faddis one is bad. I respect his playing, but he has such a shrill, harsh sound - goes for loudness rather than expression - that it's physically difficult for my ears to listen.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #205 on: November 22, 2017, 10:03:28 AM »
The Faddis one is bad. I respect his playing, but he has such a shrill, harsh sound - goes for loudness rather than expression - that it's physically difficult for my ears to listen.

Reading similar reviews and having similar feelings towards him I steered clear of it!

Isn't there actually one with Clark Terry? They collaborated earlier and later, guess that could be nice in just a duo setting, too.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #206 on: November 24, 2017, 04:19:45 PM »
Reading similar reviews and having similar feelings towards him I steered clear of it!

Isn't there actually one with Clark Terry? They collaborated earlier and later, guess that could be nice in just a duo setting, too.
There is a Clark Terry one! I need to buy it! Thanks for the reminder.

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #207 on: December 14, 2017, 04:23:05 PM »
Just found another interesting LP at my local crackhouse book/record store. I have very little Brubeck in my collection, but I really love this cover. A lucky find--stereo and in absolutely mint condition.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 04:26:15 PM by XB-70 Valkyrie »
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Eric Dolphy (1928 - 1964)
    Monk, Miles, Mingus, Dolphy, Ellington, Blakey, Coltrane, Brubeck, Baker, Kenton, Getz, Evans, Peterson, Webster, Hawkins, Dizzy, Cannonball, Rollins
« Reply #208 on: December 24, 2017, 07:26:34 PM »
Just bought:

"When you hear music, after it's over, it's gone in the air. You can never capture it again.” - Eric Dolphy

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
« Reply #209 on: December 25, 2017, 02:46:13 AM »
Just bought:

That Bill Frisell recording is very good, imo.  I haven't heard the Charles Lloyd one you bought, which is odd since I usually listen to everything of his I see (will look for it).  Lloyd's work is always worthwhile and he's released some really fantastic records over the years.  The stuff since he came out of self-induced retirement has been uniformly excellent. 

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Eric Dolphy (1928 - 1964)
    Monk, Miles, Mingus, Dolphy, Ellington, Blakey, Coltrane, Brubeck, Baker, Kenton, Getz, Evans, Peterson, Webster, Hawkins, Dizzy, Cannonball, Rollins
« Reply #210 on: December 25, 2017, 06:31:55 AM »
That Bill Frisell recording is very good, imo.  I haven't heard the Charles Lloyd one you bought, which is odd since I usually listen to everything of his I see (will look for it).  Lloyd's work is always worthwhile and he's released some really fantastic records over the years.  The stuff since he came out of self-induced retirement has been uniformly excellent.

Definitely looking forward to hearing both recordings, David. Love Frisell’s and Lloyd’s work. It’s great seeing two of my musical heroes play together.
"When you hear music, after it's over, it's gone in the air. You can never capture it again.” - Eric Dolphy

Online Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2018, 08:16:01 AM »
Following the five-star review on the Free Jazz Blog:

I have only a couple of Breuker's albums - and have yet to hear either of them (a constant refrain from me, it seems). So I've splurged for this retrospective. A bit pricey (a little over $100 with shipping from the Low Countries), so I hope I like it. :)
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK