Author Topic: Boris Papandopulo (1906. - 1991.)  (Read 1867 times)

Offline bob_cart

• Currently Listening to:
    Bach, Moreno Torroba, Varese
Boris Papandopulo (1906. - 1991.)
« on: August 01, 2015, 09:55:42 AM »
Boris Papandopulo was a Croatian composer born in Bad Honnef in Germany. He was the son of a Greek nobleman and a Croatian opera singer. He studied conducting in Vienna (Austria) and before that composition in Zagreb (Croatia) where he spent most of his life.

I thought I'd share a Croatian composer here on the forums in order to give the Croatian music scene some publicity. He is considered, and probably was Croatia's best composer. He wrote around 440 pieces, but the number of recordings is sadly, very small. I'd personally recommend listening to his xylophone concerto for starters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSOgHxtmSBE If you like it just a little bit I recommend looking up some of his other works. I'd love to hear some praise and/or critique. Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:10:29 AM by bob_cart »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Boris Papandopulo (1906. - 1991.)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 12:43:18 AM »
This is most enjoyable and just released.
Last movement of PC 3 v much in the Gershwin/populist Bernstein mould. Busoni's PC came to mind at the start and admirers of Rachmaninov/Prokofiev (especially Prokofiev I think) may well enjoy this epic work. Beautifully recorded and performed.

I think that it's very magnanimous of me to be promoting this music in view of England's recent World Cup experience.
 8)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 01:15:08 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 03:58:47 AM »
I've enjoyed the PC #3 many times already. 

According to Wikipedia: "counting cca 460 works"(!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Papandopulo

There's also a disc with the PC #2:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:05:05 AM by Daverz »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 05:18:48 AM »
I've enjoyed the PC #3 many times already. 

According to Wikipedia: "counting cca 460 works"(!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Papandopulo

There's also a disc with the PC #2:

I've just received it. The middle movement sounds glorious in the sample I heard on Amazon. Hope to report back later.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).