Author Topic: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)  (Read 513635 times)

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
Re: Sound The TRUMPets! A Thread for Presidential Pondering 2016-2020(?)
« Reply #11940 on: August 16, 2018, 10:40:28 AM »

Industrious fire ants reveal surprise secret to success: Selective laziness

I can't believe I'm going to do this. It's not too late to stop.

When excavating a tunnel during the frenzy of nest-building, the tunnel face — the deep end of the tunnel — can get crowded. That can cause traffic jams. What the researchers noted is that some ants turn around and leave the tunnel without doing any work. These reversals limit the potential for clogging up the works.

The team created computer models with simulated ants and found that this system of selective idleness enables the ants to dig deep faster. Their method reduces the chances of clogs. In effect, the ants have solved the eternal problem of too many cooks in the kitchen.

“What the ants have discovered is pretty close to the best way to do it. You need the idleness distribution and the appropriate amount of giving up,” said Daniel Goldman, a Georgia Tech physicist who runs the lab and is the senior author of the new study.

(sigh)

An ant colony is an economy and since there is no one to tell it to be inefficient it won't be. In a human economy we can adopt self-thwarting ideas that have non-economic benefits that belong to the memes and not those who are the repositories for them. When a Mosler or a Kelton comes along and shows how an economy can be efficient and foster more growth and higher purchasing power the objection most often heard is not "it doesn't work that way", it's "it's bad that it works that way" treated as a strong prior assumption.

(runs and hides)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline (poco) Sforzando

• Veteran member
« Reply #11941 on: August 16, 2018, 11:46:30 AM »
Point largely taken.  While there is indeed always stock market volatility, we now have a President whose behavior predictably inspires jitters.

That's certainly true, with the tariffs and other fun stuff. Still, Dow up close to 400 at today's close. Personally, I stay in just a few Vanguard index funds (total stock, total bonds, and total international) and reset to target allocations once a year. Gives me low fees with a piece of everything, and I ignore any fluctuations.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #11942 on: August 16, 2018, 01:12:00 PM »
Personally, I stay in just a few Vanguard index funds (total stock, total bonds, and total international) and reset to target allocations once a year. Gives me low fees with a piece of everything, and I ignore any fluctuations.

My approach is a little different in that my portfolios are my funds and I don't charge myself any money to manage them.

I do have a couple of the Vanguard funds in there. Cutting costs will raise returns by not lowering them, and the same is true of holding on to what you've got.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #11943 on: August 16, 2018, 02:05:41 PM »
Trump lashes out against US news outlets defending press freedom

"The US Senate unanimously adopted a resolution on Thursday affirming support for a free press and declaring that “the press is not the enemy of the people”.

The non-binding resolution approved by voice vote was a rebuke to Trump who for more than 18 months has frequently called reporters “the enemy of the people”.

The resolution “reaffirms the vital and indispensable role that the free press serves to inform the electorate, uncover the truth, act as a check on the inherent power of the government, further national discourse and debate, and otherwise advance the most basic and cherished democratic norms and freedoms of the United States”.

The Globe quoted its local founding father John Adams, who was born and died in Massachusetts and became America’s second president and said: “The liberty of the press is essential to the security of freedom.”

Trump responded by doubling down on his attacks, in a Twitter tirade on Thursday morning.

[...]

"The publications running editorials on Thursday included the New York Times, Chicago Sun-Times, Philadelphia Inquirer and Miami Herald.

The Globe’s editorial page proposed last week that newspapers respond in unison to the escalating attacks.

“This relentless assault on the free press has dangerous consequences,” the Globe wrote in its editorial.

“The greatness of America is dependent on the role of a free press to speak the truth to the powerful.”

A quarter of Americans and nearly half of Republicans now agree with the view that the president should be able to close news outlets for bad behavior, according to a recent poll quoted in the Globe."

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #11944 on: August 16, 2018, 02:28:20 PM »
Trump's military parade is now estimated to cost $92 million – $80 million more than earlier estimate

"Donald Trump's military parade this fall is shaping up to cost $80 million more than initially estimated.
The Department of Defense and its interagency partners have updated their perspective cost estimates for the parade, according to a U.S. defense official with firsthand knowledge of the assessment. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The parade, slated for Nov. 10, is estimated to cost $92 million, the official said. The figure includes $50 million from the Pentagon and $42 million from interagency partners such as the Department of Homeland Security. An initial estimate last month pegged the prospective cost for the parade at $12 million.

A Pentagon spokesman said in an email to CNBC that the Defense Department expects to make an announcement soon, but he would not comment further. The White House referred questions to the Defense Department."

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #11945 on: August 16, 2018, 02:40:26 PM »
Revoke my security clearance, too, Mr. President

William H. McRaven, a retired Navy admiral, was commander of the U.S. Joint Special Operations Command from 2011 to 2014. He oversaw the 2011 Navy SEAL raid in Pakistan that killed al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

"Dear Mr. President:

Former CIA director John Brennan, whose security clearance you revoked on Wednesday, is one of the finest public servants I have ever known. Few Americans have done more to protect this country than John. He is a man of unparalleled integrity, whose honesty and character have never been in question, except by those who don’t know him.

Therefore, I would consider it an honor if you would revoke my security clearance as well, so I can add my name to the list of men and women who have spoken up against your presidency.

Like most Americans, I had hoped that when you became president, you would rise to the occasion and become the leader this great nation needs.

A good leader tries to embody the best qualities of his or her organization. A good leader sets the example for others to follow. A good leader always puts the welfare of others before himself or herself.

Your leadership, however, has shown little of these qualities. Through your actions, you have embarrassed us in the eyes of our children, humiliated us on the world stage and, worst of all, divided us as a nation.

If you think for a moment that your McCarthy-era tactics will suppress the voices of criticism, you are sadly mistaken. The criticism will continue until you become the leader we prayed you would be."

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #11946 on: August 16, 2018, 02:45:51 PM »
Veterans Group Sues to Block VA Shadow Rulers

"A liberal veterans group is suing to block the influence of three outside advisers who have been secretly influencing the Department of Veterans Affairs from Mar-a-Lago, President Donald Trump’s private club in Palm Beach, Florida.

ProPublica reported last week that the advisers — Marvel Entertainment chairman Ike Perlmutter, West Palm Beach doctor Bruce Moskowitz and Washington lawyer Marc Sherman — have been shaping VA personnel and policy decisions despite having no official role or relevant expertise.

The trio, sometimes referred to as the “Mar-a-Lago Crowd,” is failing to disclose its activities as required by federal law, according to a lawsuit filed today in federal court in Washington, D.C., by VoteVets, a liberal activist group that says it represents 500,000 supporters.

The Federal Advisory Committee Act, or FACA, is a Watergate-era sunshine law that requires federal agencies to inform the public when they consult outside experts. VoteVets wants a judge to order the Mar-a-Lago Crowd to disclose records of its activities and cease influencing the VA until it complies with the law. The suit also asks that future meetings of the group be opened to public participation and that minutes of its meetings be kept.

“This group has been operating in the dark,” said Will Fischer, VoteVets’ director of government relations. “Our goal in bringing this lawsuit is to bring these activities to light and make sure our members, veterans and military families are able to see what’s going on with our VA and the people directing the activities of our VA.”

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #11947 on: August 17, 2018, 08:25:49 AM »
Trump's military parade is now estimated to cost $92 million – $80 million more than earlier estimate

"Donald Trump's military parade this fall is shaping up to cost $80 million more than initially estimated.
The Department of Defense and its interagency partners have updated their perspective cost estimates for the parade, according to a U.S. defense official with firsthand knowledge of the assessment. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The parade, slated for Nov. 10, is estimated to cost $92 million, the official said. The figure includes $50 million from the Pentagon and $42 million from interagency partners such as the Department of Homeland Security. An initial estimate last month pegged the prospective cost for the parade at $12 million.

A Pentagon spokesman said in an email to CNBC that the Defense Department expects to make an announcement soon, but he would not comment further. The White House referred questions to the Defense Department."

Hooray! Trump’s parade goes the way of his wall.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline (poco) Sforzando

• Veteran member
« Reply #11948 on: August 17, 2018, 12:50:55 PM »
Hooray! Trump’s parade goes the way of his wall.

Before the parade passes by
Before it goes on, and only I'm left
I've gotta get in step while there's still time left

I'm ready to move out in front
Life without Trump has no reason or rhyme left
With the rest of them, with the best of them

I wanna hold my head up high
I need a goal again, I need a drive again
I wanna feel my heart coming alive again

(from the musical "Hello, Donnie!")
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 01:27:39 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #11950 on: August 17, 2018, 02:18:22 PM »
Not a parody:

Fox News host Tucker Carlson repeatedly claims ‘tacos are American food’ to confused Mexican journalist

"Acevedo said that cultures should share and that Mexicans should share their food and culture with Americans.

“What do you mean, ‘their food?’ It’s American food! It’s American food!” Carlson said. “What do you think, you own tacos now, or something?” I feel like [I own them] they’re an American food and I’m going to keep eating them even though I agree with Jeff Sessions.”

Acevedo was stunned and said again that we should all celebrate each other’s cultures.

“What do you mean each other’s cultures? It’s an American food, it’s an American food—you’re not going to appropriate my culture,” Carlson said. “I’m from San Diego, man. Those are my tacos. Mine!”

Online milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #11951 on: August 17, 2018, 03:04:48 PM »
Not a parody:

Fox News host Tucker Carlson repeatedly claims ‘tacos are American food’ to confused Mexican journalist

"Acevedo said that cultures should share and that Mexicans should share their food and culture with Americans.

“What do you mean, ‘their food?’ It’s American food! It’s American food!” Carlson said. “What do you think, you own tacos now, or something?” I feel like [I own them] they’re an American food and I’m going to keep eating them even though I agree with Jeff Sessions.”

Acevedo was stunned and said again that we should all celebrate each other’s cultures.

“What do you mean each other’s cultures? It’s an American food, it’s an American food—you’re not going to appropriate my culture,” Carlson said. “I’m from San Diego, man. Those are my tacos. Mine!”
This guy never recovered from the thrashing he took From Jon Stewart.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #11952 on: August 17, 2018, 03:57:10 PM »
Trump links Canadian lumber imports to deadly California wildfires

"During a cabinet meeting, Trump and other officials downplayed the role of climate change on wildfires, while discussing the abundance of fallen trees creating a natural accelerant.

“It’s not a global warming thing, it’s a management situation,” said Trump. “And one of the elements that he talked about was the fact that we have fallen trees, and instead of removing those fallen trees, which get to be extremely combustible, instead of removing them, gently removing them, beautifully removing them, we leave them to burn.”

Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke then decried the import of lumber to the U.S. as fallen trees are left to rot on the ground."

edit: and the experts respond:

Everything Donald Trump got wrong linking California wildfires to Canadian lumber imports
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 04:12:44 PM by SimonNZ »