Author Topic: What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?  (Read 274778 times)

Offline Fëanor

• Veteran member
  • Shostie fan
Re: What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?
« Reply #1520 on: July 11, 2019, 07:31:02 AM »
Interesting discussion. My own observations:

Lots of classical music listeners are not interested in collecting recordings. I run into people who listen on the radio, go to concerts, say "I love X composer," but their collection might run to 5-10 CDs.

Musicians I've known are usually not audiophiles. Whether because they spend so much time around live music that they don't care enough about home listening to invest in it, or they don't think it's worth the expense.

Conversely, audiophiles I've known often are more interested in sound than music. One audiophile I knew said the only reason he went to concerts was "to get the reference for great stereo sound." (They seem to use the word "reference" a lot.)

That is a problem. I can rarely justify going to them nowadays, unless I can get some kind of discount, or it's free in the first place.

As I explained above, I'd like to go to more concerts by am constrain there by both inconvenience and cost.  So I'm closer to the audiophile type you describe than any others

I do have a least a middle-sized collection, though.  My collection is constrained by the price of SD/SACDs and by the fact that I buy want to listen to and don't just collect for the sake of collecting.

A lot of audiophiles I know, (most of whom are music lovers though not so much of Classical), are into high-resolution streaming services such as 'Tidal' or 'Qobuz'.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #1521 on: July 11, 2019, 08:11:40 AM »
Right well, I love classical music, I am heavily into high end equipment, which I have, because I do not want to approach how it sounds in any given concert hall, but I want to treat my ears to the best sound possible. I do not collect music for collecting sake, but I buy what I want to hear.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
  • there's something wrong with my brain
« Reply #1522 on: July 11, 2019, 08:55:31 AM »
Interesting discussion. Personally I don't think recorded music ever 1) equals the rounded out sound picture of a live concert, with the overtones and all the stuff a microphone just doesn't capture 2) the visual effect of being able to see who does what, which makes one hear better what's going on in the composition 3) the excitement of never knowing for sure what's going to happen, or rather how it's going to happen, which makes the listener somehow more a part of the music than when he's listening to the same cd he or she's heard fifty times before.

I don't think I have ever listened to a full 75 minute cd in my life. Probably I just have a vinyl-one-side attention span. At home one just gets up and starts doing something and next thing I know the music has been switched off (by me). This never happens during a concert, and not just because one isn't supposed to get up and go to the john during a symphony, but also because one is more interested.

That being said, I agree with Mandryka that concerts have become too expensive, particularly first rate orchestral concerts  -  which probably means that my income hasn't grown at the same rate as bankers' incomes and lawyers'. On the other hand, I still like to go to chamber music concerts, that have not grown as expensive and (is there a correlation?) I like the audience better, relaxed, casual and engaged with the music.

The pros of listening to recorded music are obvious. You can stay at home, and the recorded reertoire is vast, massive and unlimited. I don't think I have ever encountered a Martinu string quartet in live performance, for instance.

As long as I can remember I have had a pretty nice Naim set, which is slowly deteriorating (I'm guessing), and sometimes I wonder what I'll do when I start noticing. (See the part above about the bankers and lawyers.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:02:56 AM by Herman »

Offline Archaic Torso of Apollo

• Veteran member
« Reply #1523 on: July 11, 2019, 10:34:44 AM »
Interesting discussion. Personally I don't think recorded music ever 1) equals the rounded out sound picture of a live concert, with the overtones and all the stuff a microphone just doesn't capture 2) the visual effect of being able to see who does what, which makes one hear better what's going on in the composition 3) the excitement of never knowing for sure what's going to happen, or rather how it's going to happen, which makes the listener somehow more a part of the music than when he's listening to the same cd he or she's heard fifty times before.

This is why predictions about recorded music replacing live, film replacing theatre etc. were so inaccurate and naïve. They're different kinds of experiences altogether. Live music is essentially being created right in front of you, regardless of whether it's already written down on paper or not.

The virtual never completely drives out the real, it just squeezes it a bit.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1524 on: July 11, 2019, 11:45:14 PM »
As long as I can remember I have had a pretty nice Naim set, which is slowly deteriorating (I'm guessing),

Not necessarily, and if it does present problems you'll easily find someone to repair it I would have thought.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #1525 on: July 12, 2019, 10:15:01 PM »
Perhaps I'm lucky in that sense (or desentitized) but I've been to so many concerts, I (think/seem to) hear fewer and fewer differences between reproduction and the real thing. It's as if my brain just filled in the rest. Only when I'm back at a particularly powerful concert does my brain go: "Bing! Oh, this is different, innit!?"

Offline staxomega

« Reply #1526 on: July 13, 2019, 04:20:33 AM »

I think "constant directivity" is a valid concept, though.

I think it really works well for music that needs neutrality and uncolored sound, ie music that is acoustic in nature and doesn't need additional help.

Toole's presentation on them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrpUDuUtxPM

After reading his book, various AES papers then hearing these style of speakers at owner's homes it really changed my perception of great sound.

Edit: he uses Revel Salon Ultima 2 speakers and is nearly entirely a classical music listener.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 04:23:32 AM by staxomega »

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1527 on: July 13, 2019, 04:22:22 PM »
I don't think I have ever listened to a full 75 minute cd in my life.

Wow. Listening to full 70-80 minute CDs is nothing for me. If I can watch 2 hour movies on Blu-ray, CDs are easy.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
« Reply #1528 on: July 14, 2019, 02:26:58 AM »
Wow. Listening to full 70-80 minute CDs is nothing for me. If I can watch 2 hour movies on Blu-ray, CDs are easy.

Different blokes. I'm primarily a book reader. Watching movies on DVD has the advantage I can watch them in thirty-minute instalments.

But yeah, I'm bad. When I recently listened to something as basic as LvB 9 I break it down in Mvt 1 and later Mvts2, 3 and 4.

Offline Fëanor

• Veteran member
  • Shostie fan
« Reply #1529 on: July 14, 2019, 09:32:25 AM »
I think it really works well for music that needs neutrality and uncolored sound, ie music that is acoustic in nature and doesn't need additional help.

Toole's presentation on them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrpUDuUtxPM

After reading his book, various AES papers then hearing these style of speakers at owner's homes it really changed my perception of great sound.

Edit: he uses Revel Salon Ultima 2 speakers and is nearly entirely a classical music listener.

Floyd Toole is famous for his scientific research on what makes good loudspeaker design.  Loudspeakers designed to closely adhere to his principles typically sound great.  Revel speakers are an example.

Revel Audio is a brand of Harman International, (which is owned today by Samsung), for which Toole was a senior consultant for a time.  Harmon owns many brands including speaker brands Infinity, JBL, and Revel.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #1530 on: July 15, 2019, 07:07:14 AM »
Ah, finally got a picture of part of my system now, with the two new babies - - the DAC and the blu-Ray player.

The stone on the DAC is just that, a stone. A memory of a trip. It does zero to the depth of the soundstage, it does not slightly enhance the bass and it does not make the upper range a little more crisp.  :P

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
« Reply #1531 on: July 15, 2019, 10:59:42 PM »
The stone on the DAC is just that, a stone. A memory of a trip. It does zero to the depth of the soundstage, it does not slightly enhance the bass and it does not make the upper range a little more crisp.  :P

You clearly have cloth ears...  ;)

I sense immediate depth increase...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 11:01:22 PM by Herman »

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1532 on: July 16, 2019, 02:42:23 AM »
Different blokes. I'm primarily a book reader. Watching movies on DVD has the advantage I can watch them in thirty-minute instalments.

But yeah, I'm bad. When I recently listened to something as basic as LvB 9 I break it down in Mvt 1 and later Mvts2, 3 and 4.

You really lack attention span. I can do for hours things I enjoy. If it's something repulsive (work) then I need have breaks every 30 minutes or so. How long can you read a book in one go?

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline Herman

• Veteran member
« Reply #1533 on: July 17, 2019, 09:53:10 AM »
You really lack attention span.

Maybe I do. On the other hand, listening to music via hifi is inherently artificial, which is why I find it hard to sit there for eighty minutes.

In my view classical music is intended to be enjoyed live, and I have no problem listening to three string quartets in a program, live.