Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 2128992 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #29080 on: Today at 08:08:52 AM »
Susan & I just returned from a 4-night stay at the Homestead Resort (last 2 pics below) in the Virginia Mountains (just a 4-hr drive) for our 49th Anniversary - probably our 4th+ visit there since the mid-80s - watched a few films just before our departure and one for me off Amazon last night:

Fugitive (1993) w/ Harrison Ford, Tommy Lee Jones, et al - watched w/ Susan and cannot believe the film has been around for a quarter of a century!  But, we still enjoy both main stars - of course, unbelievable escapes from the Federal Marshall service - excellent Roger Ebert Review for those not familiar w/ the story and the TV series years ago w/ David Janssen - recommended.

John Wick (2014) and John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017) w/ Keanu Reeves as the super assassin John Wick - synopsis of the the first film below - both streamed from Amazon for just me - these are ACTION films w/ Wick killing dozens (and dozens!) of 'villains' after him, and using all sorts of deadly methods, including pencils - of course, these are fantasy films but I did enjoy both and plan to also stream the new third one out in the theaters now, when available - however, will not be purchases for me - BUT, Reeves somewhat limited acting style (IMO - although I loved the first Matrix film) fits nicely into this role.  Recommended if a fan of this genre - read the reviews if unsure.  Dave :)

Happy anniversary!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #29081 on: Today at 08:20:53 AM »
Happy anniversary!

Thanks Karl - at our age, we had a relaxing time (no long strenuous mountain trails anymore), good eats (especially in the Village of Hot Springs), and even signed up for a Falconry introduction (couple pics of Linda, the falconer and a combo of us holding a Harris Hawk) - when we return will likely do an intermediary session w/ the birds (plenty of YouTube videos on the topic w/ some from the Homestead Resort).  Dave

P.S. the bird shown is a Harris Hawk and not a Falcon - my mistake (not a pro!) - seem similar but the falcons have more slender and pointed wings - some info HERE, for those interested - Harris Hawks are native to the southwest USA (and other countries) - Linda had 3 falcons, two hawks, and an amazing looking owl.

« Last Edit: Today at 11:27:28 AM by SonicMan46 »

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #29082 on: Today at 10:59:22 AM »
Kieslowski: Dekalog, Part 3

This is a very absorbing film with a very simple and direct story line. The plot unfolds at a steady pace and the characters are very believable. There are some very fine and picturesque portraits of the main female protagonist included.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #29083 on: Today at 11:01:38 AM »
Thanks Karl - at our age, we had a relaxing time (no long strenuous mountain trails anymore), good eats (especially in the Village of Hot Springs), and even signed up for a Falconry introduction (couple pics of Linda, the falconer and a combo of us holding a Harris Falcon) - when we return will likely do an intermediary session w/ the birds (plenty of YouTube videos on the topic w/ some from the Homestead Resort).  Dave

Nice idea Dave. I would like to give that a try sometime.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #29084 on: Today at 11:12:56 AM »
Falcons make wonderful instruments of revenge. Just sayin'.

TD The Apartment

A very good Blu ray restoration. It holds up very well, even if the premise is (to pick an odd word that fits) obsolete. Wilder's last really outstanding movie, but I do have a real soft spot for The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #29085 on: Today at 11:19:05 AM »
Falcons make wonderful instruments of revenge. Just sayin'.

TD The Apartment

A very good Blu ray restoration. It holds up very well, even if the premise is (to pick an odd word that fits) obsolete. Wilder's last really outstanding movie, but I do have a real soft spot for The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes.

I need to watch that one; in high school, I played in the pit for Promises, Promises, which I understand was an adaptation.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Hey Bert!
« Reply #29086 on: Today at 04:55:48 PM »
Did the falcons have large talons?

(little movie humor)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure