Author Topic: Pierné's prosit  (Read 2649 times)

Offline madaboutmahler

• Veteran member
  • MAHLER: THE GREATEST!!!!
    • Daniel Hogan - Composer
  • Currently Listening to:
    Mahler, Elgar, Ravel, Chopin, Schnittke, Dvorak, Vaughan Williams, Schmitt, Karlowicz, R.Strauss, Prokofiev, Shostakovich....
Re: Pierné's prosit
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 08:56:08 AM »
After our good friend John Rich, introduced me to Pierne through the 3rd movement of the L'An Mil, I found myself intreged to hear more from this composer. So please give me some suggestions for some pieces and recordings!

Thank you,
Best Wishes
Daniel
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 09:01:46 AM »
I have to say - I listened to L'an mil a second time and was a good deal less impressed with the first movement. Perhaps that's my typical aversion to crashing cymbals coming through? The second movement still strikes me as absolutely wonderful, but the baritone solo just left me more confused than ever. Final movement terrific. Perhaps not a piece to listen to twice in two days, is all...

After our good friend John Rich, introduced me to Pierne through the 3rd movement of the L'An Mil, I found myself intreged to hear more from this composer. So please give me some suggestions for some pieces and recordings!

You've got to hear the Luxembourg Philharmonic recording of Cydalise!

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2018, 08:21:28 AM »
Heard Pierné’s Ramuntcho Suite no. 1 on the radio today and found it really delightful. Must investigate more by this composer.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2018, 08:53:04 AM »
If you heard it on the radio, that means it’s not in your collection, then? Here’s the perfect remedy, adding one of Pierné’s best scores, the piano concerto:

There are other performances of the concerto, on Chandos among others. And of course do get the complete Cydalise !

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2018, 12:29:50 PM »
I agree with André about the Piano Concerto, one of his best compositions. The Ramuntcho Suites are unknown to me, so I'll listen to them in due course.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2018, 07:20:36 AM »
Thanks, guys! Looking forward to hearing more of Pierné’s music.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff