Author Topic: Mahler Mania, Rebooted  (Read 500109 times)

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
Re: Mahler Mania, Rebooted
« Reply #4680 on: May 28, 2020, 03:40:31 AM »
Hurwitz is a funny man...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/UBvECavsdog" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/UBvECavsdog</a>

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #4681 on: May 28, 2020, 11:34:45 AM »
Hurwitz is a funny man...

While I can't debate any of his criticisms of Svetlanov's cycle (Hurwitz is actually spot on), I still enjoy its eccentricities (the extremely broad tempos in particular). I just wish the sonics weren't so unbalanced especially the vocal contributions.

I've been enjoying the Hurwitzer's YouTube series...maybe because he so often mirrors my own taste. His top Schubert Ninth (Szell/Cleveland) is mine. He mentions Chailly, Solti and Bernstein in his review of the Mahler Sixth,, all my favorites too. And Maazel and Chailly along with Lenny, are among those chosen for the Mahler Fourth. I couldn't agree more.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Dowder

• Currently Listening to:
    Primarily Germans and Russians
« Reply #4682 on: May 28, 2020, 01:12:02 PM »
Certain works you can love so much it seems that no conductor can ruin it absolutely.
”But what is government but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”~~James Madison, Federalist 51

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #4683 on: May 28, 2020, 01:51:03 PM »
While I can't debate any of his criticisms of Svetlanov's cycle (Hurwitz is actually spot on)...

What's the saying about a stopped watch being right twice a day?