Author Topic: Brexit Negotiations.  (Read 41975 times)

Offline Mr. Minnow

Re: Brexit Negotiations.
« Reply #880 on: February 11, 2019, 04:02:42 PM »
This plan, forging an ad hoc coalition of May loyalists and Remainers, might actually fly:

Back May’s deal, then hold people’s vote: plan to end Brexit deadlock

If you can't agree on content, then at least on procedure....  8)

A 2nd referendum with a choice between the negotiated deal and remaining in the European Union, will offer a clear choice and is likely to settle the issue politically. And both options are realistic and can be implemented immediately, as opposed to the many "pies in the sky"...

But..... what is our Jeremy (Corbyn) going to do?  ::)
Neither option would be in line with his preferred Brexit solution (not in but closely aligned to the internal market), though May's deal could be moved into that direction in further negotiations. But for that to happen, Labour would need to take over government during the transition period.

Q

A referendum in which the choices are remain or May's deal would almost certainly be won by remain, given the unpopularity of May's deal with leavers and remainers alike. The problem is the Brexit ultras regard May's deal as Brexit in name only. That means they'd scream blue murder about such a referendum being an "establishment stitch-up" as it doesn't offer a "proper" Brexit, especially with chancer-in-chief Farage backing a new Brexit party. I'd like to think that if there were another referendum, he and his ilk would be relentlessly pressed by the media to produce a rigorous, detailed plan explaining exactly what they want to do and how they think they can do it. But I wouldn't hold my breath - bullshit populist slogans like "take back control" would probably be allowed to go largely unchallenged all over again.

Meanwhile, there's nothing at all worrying about this:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/theresa-may-no-deal-brexit-fallback-plan_uk_5c617348e4b0910c63f30fc8?fbm&utm_hp_ref=uk-homepage&guccounter=1

If she really is considering going for no deal I wouldn't be at all surprised.

In recent days, May has more than ever bought into the Smith-Lewis argument that party unity has to come first, one source claims.

Yeah, sod the country - as long as the Tory party holds together, that's the important thing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:34:59 PM by Mr. Minnow »

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.