Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 786142 times)

Haffner

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #700 on: November 18, 2007, 11:52:30 AM »
I am reading Haydn A Creative Life in Music written by Karl Geiringer in collaboration with Irene Geiringer.  The oversize paperback (370 pages) is very well written and enjoyable.   

A terrific book! I had a used copy, but I had to get a new one immediately. That is a great reference book on the String Quartets, Symphonies, and choral work as well.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #701 on: November 18, 2007, 11:55:17 AM »

A terrific book! I had a used copy, but I had to get a new one immediately. That is a great reference book on the String Quartets, Symphonies, and choral work as well.

Great book.  Reads like a Dickens' novel at points.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Haffner

« Reply #702 on: November 18, 2007, 12:03:08 PM »
I think the only thing that astounded me about that Haydn book is when the author attempted to portray the Emperor Quartet's "other three movements" as being very average.

There is nothing average about the Emperor Quartet. I never heard a Mozart SQ which topped it, not even k387.

Danny

« Reply #703 on: November 20, 2007, 01:46:31 PM »
Re-reading through the poems of the finest American poet:

Offline Lethevich

• Veteran member
  • I spilled my drink!
  • Currently Listening to:
    Rihm, Bialas, Ballif, Schumann, Schubert
« Reply #704 on: November 20, 2007, 01:52:49 PM »

As neat as ever - more text than pics, thank god :P
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #705 on: November 23, 2007, 09:12:03 AM »

An off-shoot from my recent read of To Kill a Mockingbird.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Papageno

« Reply #706 on: November 26, 2007, 03:02:07 PM »
Ghosts by Ibsen

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
« Reply #707 on: November 26, 2007, 07:46:35 PM »
Along with my Capote read above (bits and pieces seems to be the way to go on this one), about to crack open

Not familiar with this cat's work at all.  Was perusing through a Barnes and Noble bookstore and could not seem to locate something that grabbed me by the shirt.  So I dialed up a friend who has read more than me twothreefold and asked for three suggestions.  This as one of them, even though he is yet to read his.  We'll both start this evening.

Offline 12tone.

« Reply #708 on: November 26, 2007, 10:09:19 PM »
I'm currently reading 'The Diner'.  There are a lot of great characters.  Plot development has been good.  It's a serial that has been going on for apparently a few years now.  Not many people read it apparently. 

Danny

« Reply #709 on: November 27, 2007, 01:53:46 PM »
A Treasury of Russian Verse edited by Avrahm Yarmolinsky.

karlhenning

« Reply #710 on: November 27, 2007, 02:43:03 PM »
I'm alternately reading through Washington Irving's Tales from the Alhambra, and this paperback reissue:

Notice that? When it first came out in hardcover, the title was:  Classical Music in America: A History of Its Rise and Fall.

Now, with the paperback edition, the subtitle is a more chaste and becoming: A History  8)

The Irving is excellent, unfailingly charming.

The Horowitz has its excellent and fascinating facts, and its occasional groan-making interpretations.

Haffner

« Reply #711 on: November 28, 2007, 03:15:12 AM »
I'm alternately reading through Washington Irving's Tales from the Alhambra, and this paperback reissue:

Notice that? When it first came out in hardcover, the title was:  Classical Music in America: A History of Its Rise and Fall.

Now, with the paperback edition, the subtitle is a more chaste and becoming: A History  8)

The Irving is excellent, unfailingly charming.

The Horowitz has its excellent and fascinating facts, and its occasional groan-making interpretations.

Hey, that sounds good!

I'm rereading the Solomon book on Beethoven. I had been really turned off by the dubious nature of the pschoanalytical approach of Solomon, but upon 2nd reading I'm looking past that and liking the book better (except for the psychoanalytical parts  ;)!)

Kullervo

« Reply #712 on: November 28, 2007, 05:07:38 AM »
Finished The Magic Mountain and started this yesterday:

longears

« Reply #713 on: November 28, 2007, 05:54:09 AM »

Problematic but an interesting read.  Hard to discern spiritual truth through the intellect alone--like making love, baking cookies, throwing a pot.

Haffner

« Reply #714 on: November 28, 2007, 06:04:51 AM »
Finished The Magic Mountain and started this yesterday:

This work, (along with the New Testament, Beyond Good and Evil, and Der Antichristlich) is one of my favorites.
Whom did the translation, Corey?

Kullervo

« Reply #715 on: November 28, 2007, 06:08:42 AM »

This work, (along with the New Testament, Beyond Good and Evil, and Der Antichristlich) is one of my favorites.
Whom did the translation, Corey?

This is a recent translation by Walter Kaufmann. The language is not the pseudo-King's English I was half-expecting to encounter. :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 06:14:42 AM by Corey »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #716 on: November 28, 2007, 06:09:08 AM »

That's most intriguing. How do you manage to reconcile Nietzsche with Christ?
I compose music because I must give expression to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts. --- Rachmaninoff

Haffner

« Reply #717 on: November 28, 2007, 06:13:23 AM »
That's most intriguing. How do you manage to reconcile Nietzsche with Christ?

Please re-read, Nietzsche's portrayal of Jesus Christ in Der Antichristlich. It's one of the most beautiful portrayals in the history of literature, and had alot to do with my finally embracing the Catholic faith I was baptised into.

As you probably know, Florestan, the real title of what is called "The Antichrist" is the "Anti-Christian". Nietzsche mostly knew about the Lutheran religion he grew up with (his father was a minister), and that is the sect of Christianity he attacks most in Der Antichristlich.

Haffner

« Reply #718 on: November 28, 2007, 06:15:03 AM »
This is a recent translation by Walter Kaufmann. The language is not the pseudo-King's English I was half-expected to encounter. :)

Corey, I found the R.J. Hollingdale to be a better overall translation. Kaufmann, in my opinion, was better at providing commentary than anything else. Also, if you haven't already checked out Nietzsche's biography, Hollingdale's work in the subject is the best introduction and more.

Kullervo

« Reply #719 on: November 28, 2007, 06:16:45 AM »

Corey, I found the R.J. Hollingdale to be a better overall translation. Kaufmann, in my opinion, was better at providing commentary than anything else. Also, if you haven't already checked out Nietzsche's biography, Hollingdale's work in the subject is the best introduction and more.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I am relatively new to Nietzsche, having only read Beyond Good and Evil before this.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 06:25:33 AM by Corey »