Author Topic: Last Movie You Watched  (Read 2628098 times)

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: Last Movie You Watched
« Reply #30560 on: September 22, 2020, 01:40:40 PM »
He was also the magician at the circus in Shadow and Fog!

My favorite Woody Allen film !

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #30561 on: September 22, 2020, 01:46:05 PM »
My favorite Woody Allen film !

It's a beauty!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30562 on: September 22, 2020, 11:40:56 PM »
The Theory of Everything

This film is the story of Stephen Hawking as I am sure you know. It was adapted from his ex-wife’s memoirs. It is an English, as opposed to a Hollywood, presentation and definitely worth a watch if you have not seen it.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • Not so free thinker anymore
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #30563 on: September 23, 2020, 03:10:10 AM »
Spiral (Rasen) (George Iida, 1998)

The bastard offspring of the Ring movie series within the twilight zone between science-fiction and horror. While it tries hard to be faithful to Koji Suzuki's novel, it lacks the impact of the better J-horror movies. Iida's directing feels nervous and disjunct. Music is rather good, but very different in feel from the other Ring movies. This movie looks strangely "western" in many ways. As if Japanese filmmakers tried to make an "American" sci-fi movie with horror elements, but with only 1/20 of the financial resources needed.

The Theory of Everything

This film is the story of Stephen Hawking as I am sure you know. It was adapted from his ex-wife’s memoirs. It is an English, as opposed to a Hollywood, presentation and definitely worth a watch if you have not seen it.

I saw this on TV a year ago or so. The problem with this kind of movies is you have to keep the science minimal/secondary or 99 % of the viewers are completely lost.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Ecclesiastical Secularism"

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30564 on: September 23, 2020, 03:56:59 AM »

I saw this on TV a year ago or so. The problem with this kind of movies is you have to keep the science minimal/secondary or 99 % of the viewers are completely lost.

The ignorance of the masses, eh? I do not disagree but I did specify that it was an English presentation which makes it eminently more acceptable to my eyes.
I do however disagree with the marketing caption "A Beautiful Love Story". Even given his genius, he was quite prepared to dump his family when he felt like it, despite all that his first wife did for him. I remember feeling the same sentiment at the time it happened.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #30565 on: September 24, 2020, 09:44:30 PM »

Second viewing. Highly recommended.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #30566 on: September 25, 2020, 04:31:48 AM »
Saboteur
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30567 on: September 25, 2020, 06:22:33 AM »
Hi Karl - films below the last few days, including Saboteur last night:

Rebecca (1940) w/ Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine, Judith Anderson, and others; Alfred Hitchcock, director - synopsis below - wonderfully restored on bluray by Criterion - comes w/ a second disc of specials - highly recommended.

Rebel Without a Cause (1955) w/ James Dean, Natalie Wood, Sal Mineo, et al; short second synopsis below - Dean's first film in a dramatic overwrought role - I still enjoy but Susan was finding the plot portrayal somewhat dated; well, still recommended, especially if you have never seen a Dean film (he made only three - others East of Eden and Giant).

Saboteur (1942) w/ Robert Cummings, Priscilla Lane, Otto Kruger, and others; Alfred Hitchcock, director - last synopsis below - Cummings and Lane excellent and with the usual Hitchcock-esque ending scene - now, this was made at the beginning of WW II, so try to ignore the obligatory patriotism and enjoy as a 'spy adventure' film.  Dave :)

Romance becomes psychodrama in the elegantly crafted Rebecca, Alfred Hitchcock’s first foray into Hollywood filmmaking. A dreamlike adaptation of Daphne du Maurier’s 1938 novel, the film stars the enchanting Joan Fontaine as a young woman who believes she has found her heart’s desire when she marries the dashing aristocratic widower Maxim de Winter (played by Laurence Olivier). But upon moving to Manderley—her groom’s baroque ancestral mansion—she soon learns that his deceased wife haunts not only the estate but the temperamental, brooding Maxim as well. The start of Hitchcock’s legendary collaboration with producer David O. Selznick, this elegiac gothic vision, captured in stunning black and white by George Barnes, took home the Academy Awards for best picture and best cinematography. (Source)

Rebel Without a Cause is a 1955 American drama film about emotionally confused suburban, middle-class teenagers. Filmed in the then recently introduced CinemaScope format and directed by Nicholas Ray, it offered both social commentary and an alternative to previous films depicting delinquents in urban slum environments. The film stars James Dean, Sal Mineo, and Natalie Wood. The film was a groundbreaking attempt to portray the moral decay of American youth, critique parental style, and explore the differences and conflicts between generations. (Source)

Saboteur is a 1942 American spy thriller film directed by Alfred Hitchcock with a screenplay written by Peter Viertel, Joan Harrison and Dorothy Parker. The film stars Robert Cummings, Priscilla Lane and Norman Lloyd. Aircraft factory worker Barry Kane (Robert Cummings) is accused of starting a fire at the Stewart Aircraft Works in Glendale, California, an act of sabotage that killed his friend Mason (Virgil Summers). Kane believes the real culprit is a man named Fry (Norman Lloyd) who, during their efforts to put out the fire, handed him a fire extinguisher filled with gasoline, which he passed on to Mason. When the investigators find no one named "Fry" on the list of plant workers, they assume Kane is the culprit. (Source)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 11:38:07 AM by SonicMan46 »

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #30568 on: September 25, 2020, 09:18:22 AM »
Hi Karl - films below the last few days, including Saboteur last night:

Rebecca (1940) w/ Laurence Olivier, Joan Fontaine, Judith Anderson, and others; Alfred Hitchcock, director - synopsis below - wonderfully restored on bluray by Criterion - comes w/ a second disc of specials - highly recommended.

Rebel Without a Cause (1955) w/ James Dean, Natalie Wood, Sal Mineo, et al; short second synopsis below - Dean's first film in a dramatic overwrought role - I still enjoy but Susan was finding the plot portrayal somewhat dated; well, still recommended, especially if you have never seen a Dean film (he made only three - others East of Eden and Giant).

Saboteur (1942) w/ Robert Cummings, Priscilla Lane, Otto Kruger, and others; Alfred Hitchcock, director - last synopsis below - Cummings and Lane excellent and with the usual Hitchcock-esque ending scene - now, this was made at the beginning of WW II, so try to ignore the obligatory patriotism and enjoy as a 'spy adventure' film.  Dave :)

Cheers, Dave! Rebecca waxes better still with each viewing.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #30569 on: September 25, 2020, 09:45:46 AM »
Cheers, Dave! Rebecca waxes better still with each viewing.

Hi Karl - I watched two of the specials on the second Criterion disc - one on Hitchcock and another of a number of famous actresses (although Fontaine was the much lesser known) doing 'screen tests' - Olivier wanted Vivian Leigh to play the role, but Joan Fontaine was better showing a vulnerability in her voice and face that fit the role beautifully.  Dave :)

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #30570 on: September 25, 2020, 10:29:21 AM »

Hitchcockian videophiles should know about this box set.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0 Waterfox/56.2.13

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:64.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/64.0

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #30571 on: September 26, 2020, 05:27:00 PM »
Hannah and Her Sisters
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #30572 on: September 26, 2020, 11:34:17 PM »
Went to the cinema for the first time in a long time, and saw The Translators.

Quite fun, consciously styled after Agatha Christie (though it's not about murder but about who is leaking pages from an upcoming bestseller). Totally outlandish plot elements but entertaining and well acted.

Slightly exasperated, though, that a film about translation actually had a mistake in the subtitles throughout. The author of the bestseller, who people talk about a lot because most people have never seen him, is quite clearly named Brach, and yet the English subtitles call him Bach over and over.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #30573 on: Today at 12:58:29 AM »
Breaking The Bank

Some lighthearted English humour and entertainment.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #30574 on: Today at 04:10:40 AM »
The Purple Rose of Cairo.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA