Author Topic: What are you eating?  (Read 473548 times)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
Re: What are you eating?
« Reply #4160 on: August 29, 2019, 11:35:51 AM »
Yes. with butter or obatzder, please.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #4161 on: August 30, 2019, 03:53:56 AM »
Yes. with butter or obatzder, please.

or Spundekäs  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #4162 on: August 30, 2019, 06:27:27 AM »
Mostly depending if one is in Wine country or Beer country, I guess it's the former for you and the latter for me (although I quit  beer mostly for health reasons, not that I ever drank excessively). Or to be more precise: ALL of Germany is Beer country anyway, so it's rather Beer AND Wine for some regions.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Online dissily Mordentroge

« Reply #4163 on: November 19, 2019, 09:35:01 PM »
Caught two decent sized rainbow trout this morning. Stuffed with fresh tarragon on a bed of finely julienned carrot, celery and shallots with a few glasses of white whine in a covered casserole dish. When cooked I’ll drain the wine into a seperate pan and thicken with egg yolk and cream to be poured back onto the fish & served with baby broad-beans and buttered spaghetti squash from the garden with a red onion and tomato salad on the side.
Stefano Lubiana Tasmanian Brut Reserve Champagne (but don’t tell the French I called it that.)
Home made vanilla bean ice-cream drenched in home made quince liquor with fresh nectarines for afters.
The Human Race is Insane

Offline 2dogs

• Currently Listening to:
    20th Century
« Reply #4164 on: November 20, 2019, 09:46:43 AM »
Caught two decent sized rainbow trout this morning. Stuffed with fresh tarragon on a bed of finely julienned carrot, celery and shallots with a few glasses of white whine in a covered casserole dish. When cooked I’ll drain the wine into a seperate pan and thicken with egg yolk and cream to be poured back onto the fish & served with baby broad-beans and buttered spaghetti squash from the garden with a red onion and tomato salad on the side.
Stefano Lubiana Tasmanian Brut Reserve Champagne (but don’t tell the French I called it that.)
Home made vanilla bean ice-cream drenched in home made quince liquor with fresh nectarines for afters.

That sounds lovely. I’ve just had avocado, sardines, pork pie, Cheshire cheese, tomatoes and olives. And am now drinking Rooibos tea.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #4165 on: November 20, 2019, 12:40:13 PM »
Ha! I bought a smoked rainbow trout last week, been eating it mostly as a creamy spaghetti dish, tarragon, carrot & onion all involved.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 12:42:03 PM by North Star »
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #4166 on: November 20, 2019, 01:07:50 PM »
Caught two decent sized rainbow trout this morning. Stuffed with fresh tarragon...

Great. I love trout but haven't had a whole one in quite some time. I'll need to rectify that soon.

This evening I cooked a German meal including fried Pfälzer Saumagen (sow's belly), Bavarian Weisswurst, red cabbage, and potato salad. Drank a 2018 dry Saar Riesling: an Ayler Kupp from the Bischofliche winery in Trier.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

« Reply #4167 on: November 22, 2019, 02:10:40 AM »
Ha! I bought a smoked rainbow trout last week, been eating it mostly as a creamy spaghetti dish, tarragon, carrot & onion all involved.
A local eel farm (sadly now closed) once sold wonderful very lightly smoke eel, still pink . I tried any number of ways preparing this but my favourite was a method I’d learnt when a young chef. Having removed the skin puree half the eel with a few capers, lemon juice, salt & pepper then fold in an equal quantity of whipped cream. Spread this over six inch fillets of the other half of the eel and roll up into spirals affixing them with toothpicks. Place in the fridge overnight.
Make a sauce of pureed fresh watercress with one third mayonnaise and spoon over the serving plate.Remove toothpicks from the rolled eel and slice into into rounds  placing atop the watercress sauce.
The hardest part of this is finding lightly smoked eel. Anything with even a hint of brown from the smoking doesn’t work.
The Human Race is Insane

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #4168 on: November 22, 2019, 03:08:30 AM »
A local eel farm (sadly now closed) once sold wonderful very lightly smoke eel, still pink . I tried any number of ways preparing this but my favourite was a method I’d learnt when a young chef. Having removed the skin puree half the eel with a few capers, lemon juice, salt & pepper then fold in an equal quantity of whipped cream. Spread this over six inch fillets of the other half of the eel and roll up into spirals affixing them with toothpicks. Place in the fridge overnight.
Make a sauce of pureed fresh watercress with one third mayonnaise and spoon over the serving plate.Remove toothpicks from the rolled eel and slice into into rounds  placing atop the watercress sauce.
The hardest part of this is finding lightly smoked eel. Anything with even a hint of brown from the smoking doesn’t work.
Sounds good..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

« Reply #4169 on: November 25, 2019, 04:35:29 PM »
I served a platter of these at a party once. Everyone thought they were fabulous until one curious guest asked ‘What kind of fish is this?” When I told her it was smoked eel a number of those who’d enjoyed eating it immediately put down their serve with comments such as ‘Yuk’.  On woman even spat hers out. Go figure.
At the resturant where I learnt to make these we sold huge amounts with never a complaint. But then again it was a very up market quisine nouvelle establishment that attracted the more ‘adventurous'.
The Human Race is Insane

« Reply #4170 on: November 28, 2019, 02:21:05 PM »
Maybe having posted a few gourmet tit bits here this will come across as somewhat hypocritical but I’m finding the developed world’s obsession with food, especially the esoteric and complex kind, seriously annoying. With so many on planet earth living on starvation diets I’m finding things like 24 hour food channels on free-to-view TV nothing less than nauseating. Then there’s the staggering pretentiousness abroad in the restaurant world today of combining ill suited ingredients in a desperate attempt to be original. And don’t get me started on food reviews couched in obscure ‘creative' language simply to prove the writer suffered  through 3 years of Literature 101.

"Pass me the foie grass and aloe juice Maude."

« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 02:27:31 PM by dissily Mordentroge »
The Human Race is Insane

Offline Carlo Gesualdo

classical, skronk-jazz, blues, experimental etc
My eggplant|zuchinnis steamed fries is stuff of legend
« Reply #4171 on: November 29, 2019, 04:39:14 PM »
Any dark green veggie or purple good old eggplant family is good for your metabolism, including spinach, Bruxelles kraut, real good stuff you toss whit onion in a pan and flour and voila, a bit of salt and pepper your cook them, start at maximum to start the extra virgin olive oil for 5 minute then at 7 for 10 minutes on each side at 4 slow steam fries taste the best
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 06:26:55 PM by Carlo Gesualdo »

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
Re: My eggplant|zuchinnis steamed fries is stuff of legend
« Reply #4172 on: November 30, 2019, 01:25:28 AM »
Please could you not start a thread for every thought thst comes through your mind. Please get familiar with the GMG surroundings and main threads, then find the appropriate one :

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,88.0.html
Olivier

« Reply #4173 on: December 07, 2019, 10:43:25 PM »
That sounds lovely. I’ve just had avocado, sardines, pork pie, Cheshire cheese, tomatoes and olives. And am now drinking Rooibos tea.
I was hooked on Rooibos tea until the exploding demand triggered all Sth African producers I had access to adulterated their product with inferior substances. To my pallete this tasted somewhat like alfalfa hay. Went back to peppermint tea and coffee.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 12:40:30 AM by dissily Mordentroge »
The Human Race is Insane

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #4174 on: December 08, 2019, 07:53:16 AM »
On the topic of tea. I especially like Jasmine pearls. These are hand rolled little balls of tea leaves. You use very few, and can infuse them several times. Water around 170 or so.
And bottom draining tea pots are wonderful for any kind of loose tea.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.