Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Todd on February 06, 2012, 06:51:32 AM
Finished the third season of TPB.  Good, good stuff.

Told ya!  $:)
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Todd

Quote from: George on February 06, 2012, 07:55:59 AMTold ya!

I'm just glad I bought the cheeseburger locker edition so I can watch at my leisure.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Sergeant Rock

Despite its 7.0 rating at IMDB this is a bad film. No expense was wasted on a script. The main character, played by Chris Mitchum, son of Robert Mitchum, has about six lines of dialogue total even though he's in 90% of the scenes. The film begins with a six-year-old blond boy witnessing a murder and is immediately followed by a scene in which a twenty-six-year-old blond man commits two murders. No explanation of the characters or their motivations. Eventually we're told, and expected to believe, that this man is on a revenge spree, hunting down the crime bosses who killed his father. How he manages to do that (killing and kidnapping people in New York, Spain, Portugal and France) defies belief. In point of fact, he fails in the end...which is rather refreshing  ;D

The film does have one very good reason to watch it...and even re-watch it: Olivia Hussey:

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Cato

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 06, 2012, 08:57:44 AM

Sarge

For those too young here to know it, Olivia Hussey was Juliet in Franco Zeffirelli's movie version of Shakespeare's play.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

DavidW

Quote from: Cato on February 06, 2012, 09:12:13 AM
For those too young here to know it, Olivia Hussey was Juliet in Franco Zeffirelli's movie version of Shakespeare's play.

I immediately recognized her from that role from the pic Sarge posted even though I saw Romeo and Juliet in 9th grade! :D  It had this one classic scene...  ;D

Cato

Quote from: DavidW on February 06, 2012, 03:59:00 PM
I immediately recognized her from that role from the pic Sarge posted even though I saw Romeo and Juliet in 9th grade! :D  It had this one classic scene...  ;D

I discovered that Olivia Hussey is an Argentinian!

One last comment on the movie Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: director Spike Lee has complained about a plot device in recent years which he calls the "Magic Negro," wherein an Afro-American (e.g. Morgan Freeman) plays some sort of mystical spirit guide who helps a white character find fulfillment.

Let us simply say that Mr. Lee would not like Extremely Loud at all!

lisa needs braces

And to think, she was only 15 at the time!

ibanezmonster

Me, too, in my 9th grade English class. That scene, or at least those few seconds, were the best part of the movie... well, the only part I was interested in, at least.

Lethevich

Quote from: Cato on February 06, 2012, 09:12:13 AM

The only time a film with boobs in would ever be considered acceptable for playing to high school English students :P
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Cato

Quote from: Lethevich on February 06, 2012, 10:07:19 PM
The only time a film with boobs in would ever be considered acceptable for playing to high school English students :P

There are many boobs in any high-school English class!  0:)    Eventually they - in general - do become somewhat brighter.

Todd

Modestly entertaining.  Corey Stoll as Ernest Hemingway was the best part.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

drogulus

Quote from: Todd on February 07, 2012, 07:03:42 AM

My reaction was a bit mixed. Woody Allen has the worst case of art cult snobbery ever to appear in mass audience films, yet he has the sense to make fun of the trait in his characters (Michael Sheen). Basically I'm through with Allen. He panders to his audience with cheap uplift. A real industrial strength snob like me doesn't think a thin application of art knowledge is good for you, or even that art is good for you. Children benefit from it because it opens channels of the mind and mental performance improves.  The funny thing is that Allen is a genuine practitioner with the attitudes of a cultural tourist getting his art ticket punched. I'm sick of it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

DavidW

Quote from: Cato on February 06, 2012, 05:15:08 PM
One last comment on the movie Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close: director Spike Lee has complained about a plot device in recent years which he calls the "Magic Negro," wherein an Afro-American (e.g. Morgan Freeman) plays some sort of mystical spirit guide who helps a white character find fulfillment.

Yeah they're either magic, wise, comic relief or token. :-[

val

FRITZ LANG:         Die Nibelungen:  Kriemhilds Rache

This 2nd part impressed me even more than the first. In fact, it impressed me very deeply, more than any Tragedy I saw in cinema. Except perhaps Kurosawa's "Ran".

Karl Henning

Quote from: drogulus on February 07, 2012, 01:06:02 PM
. . . The funny thing is that Allen is a genuine practitioner with the attitudes of a cultural tourist getting his art ticket punched.

Nicely turned phrase, BTW.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Cato on February 06, 2012, 06:17:29 AM
Now there is a classic for the ages!   ;D  Great fun stuff!

Last night, aye, some more Upsidaisium on Rocky & Bullwinkle.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

Quote from: Cato on February 07, 2012, 03:56:53 AM
Eventually they - in general - do become somewhat brighter.

Wishful thinking! ;D

Cato

Quote from: Cato on February 07, 2012, 03:56:53 AM
There are many boobs in any high-school English class!  0:)    Eventually they - in general - do become somewhat brighter.

Quote from: DavidW on February 08, 2012, 05:25:35 AM
Wishful thinking! ;D

Well, note all the careful hedging in that statement!   :D

Sometimes I quote the restaurant manager in Ferris Bueller: "I weep for the future!"  0:)

Bulldog

Quote from: Todd on February 07, 2012, 07:03:42 AM

I'll agree with that.  For me, Owen Wilson was a very weak link in the movie. 

drogulus

Quote from: Bulldog on February 08, 2012, 09:58:46 AM
I'll agree with that.  For me, Owen Wilson was a very weak link in the movie. 

I thought he was a fine Woody surrogate. Like the Wood Man himself, he has a surface shallowness that obscures a deeper shallowness. If only we knew.....

Nah, that's unfair to Wilson. He did play a shallow character with hidden depths in The Minus Man.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0