Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 943487 times)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #10080 on: August 13, 2020, 11:48:43 PM »

That's one that I've been wanting to read..particularly after hearing (over radio) a wonderful operatic production years ago.  Tried googling it to see if I could find out who all did it, the production etc.  I happened to come in part way.  It was during the Saturday Met broadcasts but it wasn't from the Met.

PD

A subject worthy of an opera.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline j winter

« Reply #10081 on: August 14, 2020, 08:30:23 AM »
I love Nero Wolfe, but these covers look like penny dreadfuls! And I think the first two are a bit long winded, the Rubber Band and the Red Box much better although the masterpiece among the earlier ones is probably "Some buried Caesar" for me.

I would actually agree with all of that.  I chose the vampy covers because they just amused me... indeed they often bear little to no relation to the actual book... if you recall, in The League of Frightened Men, they're frightened of a male actor, not a platinum blonde.  I'm reading ebooks anyway, so the cover art is a non-issue.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #10082 on: August 14, 2020, 08:57:32 AM »
That cover art is really funny. I wonder how many people bought them for the covers and ended up being disappointed or confused or, perhaps, Nero's new biggest fans.