Author Topic: What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?  (Read 358635 times)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: What audio system do you have, or plan on getting?
« Reply #1700 on: September 18, 2020, 12:44:54 AM »
I just bought a Schlitt Mani for my Thorens TD 318 turntable, which I've just set back up.

I will begin by using a pair of Edifier powered speakers for now.

Nice. Good to see the rejuvenation of another TT.
Do you still hold a stock of old vinyl; smoky jazz or raw roots music?
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline Old San Antone

« Reply #1701 on: September 18, 2020, 03:56:45 AM »
Nice. Good to see the rejuvenation of another TT.
Do you still hold a stock of old vinyl; smoky jazz or raw roots music?

I do, not a whole lot, but some jazz, blues and classical (at one time I transferred it all to CD-Rs but some of those, don't know how man y, no longer play).  It is in storage so I will need to go through the boxes/crates and retrieve some favorites.  But I am also buying new 180 gram vinyl of some classics, like Kind of Blue and a few others.  And some artists are releasing their new recordings in vinyl.  I just ordered Bill Frisell's latest, Valentine

I am looking forward to listening once I have all the components set up and contributing to the vinyl thread here.

8)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #1702 on: September 18, 2020, 04:05:34 AM »
I do, not a whole lot, but some jazz, blues and classical (at one time I transferred it all to CD-Rs but some of those, don't know how man y, no longer play).  It is in storage so I will need to go through the boxes/crates and retrieve some favorites.  But I am also buying new 180 gram vinyl of some classics, like Kind of Blue and a few others.  And some artists are releasing their new recordings in vinyl.  I just ordered Bill Frisell's latest, Valentine

I am looking forward to listening once I have all the components set up and contributing to the vinyl thread here.

8)

That's great and wonderful to read. Enjoy the journey and have a little love and patience when setting up the old analogue system; it will reward you well  ;D
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #1703 on: September 18, 2020, 01:19:37 PM »
I just ordered Bill Frisell's latest, Valentine

8)

Here's to Bill Frisell!; I'm not quite *yet* ready for Vinyl again, but I'm always ready for Frisell -- and he'd be someone I'd be willing to bring out the old DUAL again and revive it. :-)

Offline André Le Nôtre

« Reply #1704 on: October 14, 2020, 03:17:22 PM »
Question about cables. In my main system, I have mixture of Audioquest, Cardas, and MIT, but I am looking for something cost-effective (cheaper) for my desktop/PC system.

For this I have a pair of AudioEngine A2+ powered speakers, which have good quality five-way binding posts. I recently bought a new PC, which greatly improved my sound quality. I am looking at upgrading my cables from the cheapo plastic-coated copper wire that came with the speakers.

I need probably a 1.5M pair, with good EMI, RFI shielding. I am likely to go with spade lugs, but banana plugs are an option too. (Any differences in sound quality?) The low-end Audioquest in this range start at about 150$, but I wonder whether this is overkill for 250$ speakers. I will also likely add the subwoofer as well.

Any suggestions for this application? I don't think everything necessarily needs to be audiophile approved, but I know that quality cable and terminations are not cheap. What brands to you prefer?   
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 03:21:47 PM by André Le Nôtre »

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #1705 on: October 14, 2020, 06:13:16 PM »
Question about cables. In my main system, I have mixture of Audioquest, Cardas, and MIT, but I am looking for something cost-effective (cheaper) for my desktop/PC system.

The wire won't make a difference.  I suggest spending the money on something else.

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #1706 on: October 14, 2020, 06:19:04 PM »

For this I have a pair of AudioEngine A2+ powered speakers, which have good quality five-way binding posts. I recently bought a new PC, which greatly improved my sound quality. I am looking at upgrading my cables from the cheapo plastic-coated copper wire that came with the speakers.

I need probably a 1.5M pair, with good EMI, RFI shielding. I am likely to go with spade lugs, but banana plugs are an option too. (Any differences in sound quality?) The low-end Audioquest in this range start at about 150$, but I wonder whether this is overkill for 250$ speakers. I will also likely add the subwoofer as well.

Any suggestions for this application? I don't think everything necessarily needs to be audiophile approved, but I know that quality cable and terminations are not cheap. What brands to you prefer?

For speakers this size this is definitely overkill - I'd be amazed if you could actually hear a difference worth 60% of the cost of the speakers. In fact you will probably hear no difference at all.

The subs are a really good idea. The A2+ has it's own TI DAC but might benefit from a better separate model. This article may be useful

theabsolutesound.com/articles/audioengine-a2-desktop-speakers-and-d3-dac/

Cheers

Holden

Offline André Le Nôtre

« Reply #1707 on: October 14, 2020, 06:49:44 PM »
Thanks, gents. The reason I ask about the cables is that I have a lot of other wires and an ATT 1 gigabit Fiber Gateway near the speakers. Recently, I had a lot of issues with audio interference/noise until I moved the powered speaker away from the gateway. I swapped the two speakers on my computer desk, and the noise is gone (passive speaker now next to gateway), but now I need to find a way to switch L <-> R channels in Windows 10!

Powered speaker does not like being next to the gateway, although the ATT guy told me there would be no issues with wi-fi/gateway in this configuration. Indeed we have excellent wi-fi now (vastly better than that Charter cable garbage).

I had intermittent interference/noise with the A2+s prior to this new setup, but they always seemed to stay below my threshold of annoyance. In any case, I am not thinking that expensive wire will transport me to audio nirvana--I think even the greatest speakers in the world are mediocre from a distance of three feet!--I just want something shielded with good connectors. But again, you're right 60% of the speaker price is nuts, esp. for a desktop system.

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #1708 on: October 14, 2020, 09:36:34 PM »
Thanks, gents. The reason I ask about the cables is that I have a lot of other wires and an ATT 1 gigabit Fiber Gateway near the speakers. Recently, I had a lot of issues with audio interference/noise until I moved the powered speaker away from the gateway. I swapped the two speakers on my computer desk, and the noise is gone (passive speaker now next to gateway), but now I need to find a way to switch L <-> R channels in Windows 10!

Powered speaker does not like being next to the gateway, although the ATT guy told me there would be no issues with wi-fi/gateway in this configuration. Indeed we have excellent wi-fi now (vastly better than that Charter cable garbage).

I had intermittent interference/noise with the A2+s prior to this new setup, but they always seemed to stay below my threshold of annoyance. In any case, I am not thinking that expensive wire will transport me to audio nirvana--I think even the greatest speakers in the world are mediocre from a distance of three feet!--I just want something shielded with good connectors. But again, you're right 60% of the speaker price is nuts, esp. for a desktop system.

A2+s are wireless I believe so I'd think they have their own desktop app. If so, can channel reversal be done via the Audioengine app?
Cheers

Holden

Offline André Le Nôtre

« Reply #1709 on: October 14, 2020, 09:42:37 PM »
I guess they have bluetooth capability, but I have 'em wired up. Speaker cables and 3.5 mm plug. I will check into the app. Thanks.

Also, while I have you on the line, can I ask what software you use for screencast lectures? I need something that will allow me easy editing of audio alongside video (slides) so that they are sync-ed up. I also need export to MP4. I have been using Camtasia, but I am increasingly annoyed by the many bugs in this program--that many others have noted! Thanks!

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #1710 on: October 15, 2020, 02:11:17 PM »
We use Screencast-O-Matic here at the school and it works well.
Cheers

Holden

Offline Fëanor

• Veteran member
  • Shostie fan
« Reply #1711 on: October 17, 2020, 01:23:00 PM »
In the mail for me at the moment is a VTA Amplifier Purfi 1ET400A module-based stereo amp with a Hypex buffer and power supply.  This is the red-hot latest class D amplifier option.

Purfi 1ET400A-based amp are also available from Nord, Apollon, March Audio, Audiophonics, and probably some other providers.  I choose VTV Amplifier as my source because it was (a) the least expensive and (b) located relatively short distance away in Ohio from my home in southwestern Ontario.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 01:25:35 PM by Fëanor »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1712 on: October 17, 2020, 11:29:19 PM »
In the mail for me at the moment is a VTA Amplifier Purfi 1ET400A module-based stereo amp with a Hypex buffer and power supply.  This is the red-hot latest class D amplifier option.

Purfi 1ET400A-based amp are also available from Nord, Apollon, March Audio, Audiophonics, and probably some other providers.  I choose VTV Amplifier as my source because it was (a) the least expensive and (b) located relatively short distance away in Ohio from my home in southwestern Ontario.

When you get it, will you post to say whether it runs hot? It’s interesting how class D has started to encroach on the serious audio market, not so long ago they were just fit for subwoofers. One potential problem for expensive ones is serviceability - if the manufacturer goes bust or won’t provide parts.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #1713 on: October 18, 2020, 12:13:07 AM »
Which raises a point for me. What's better - Class A or Class D? What's the difference between them? I might have to replace my venerable McLaren A150B soon and am looking at something good but affordable.

NB: My Burson Play DAC/Amp is pure class A and sounds amazing because it has the power to drive virtually any headphone without sounding stressed.
Cheers

Holden

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1714 on: October 18, 2020, 12:21:16 AM »
Which raises a point for me. What's better - Class A or Class D? What's the difference between them? I might have to replace my venerable McLaren A150B soon and am looking at something good but affordable.

Until recently Class D were considered grunt amps, fit only for providing some welly to subwoofers and the lowerst fi active speakers but with no refinement or truthfulness in the midrange and treble. Things have changed though and now some top companies are offering Class D amplification. Whatever it sounds like, you need to remember that serviceability may be a problem as I said above, and price is also a factor. If you buy a class D amp with poor components, designed by accountants rather than audio engineers, it may well have a short life expectancy.  I don’t have any class D amps, at some point I will though, because I want to investigate active speakers.

Class A runs hot and is not at all green. Class A is expensive not least because the components are expensive. But designers tell me that it’s much easier to design an excellent class A amp than an excellent class A B amp. The best transistor amp I have ever owned is pure class A.

One option to consider is “impure class A” that’s to say, Class A for the first watt or two and then class B. I have one of those and I’m glad to have it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:24:13 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #1715 on: October 18, 2020, 12:21:59 AM »
Better in what regard? Electricity bill will certainly be better with class D, and if you need high power output I think this rules out class A unless you are prepared to pay a rather hefty price. Class A requires significantly more space and is less user friendly than most class D systems. If you ignore all that and have the money, I should think most audiophiles would prefer class A. I've heard som Devialets that have impressed me, class D certainly arent't second grade soundwise any more. The Japanese SPEC class D amps are very well regarded by some discerninng audiophiles I know.

Size and usability are key priorities of mine, and the two class D suppliers above would be high on my list if I were to replace any amps I own (A Hegel 200 A/B system in the living room and a mixed system with a CJ MF 2500 A class A/B in the listening room). Never had any regrets with the sound of those either, the Hegel supporting a Sonus Faber Ellipsa, and the CJ supporting alternatively a Dali Euphonia MS 5 and a Vienna Beethoven set in the listening room.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 12:34:00 AM by The new erato »