Cato's Grammar Grumble

Started by Cato, February 08, 2009, 05:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on February 04, 2017, 04:30:17 AM
Thanks. I suspected that See is actually a contraction of Seat and has got nothing to do with the verb.
It comes from the Latin, sedes.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

I suppose people just may ask that.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

zamyrabyrd

Has anyone seen this monstrosity: "healthyish"?

"Healthy" when meaning "healthful" is bad enough, but who has the nerve to make an adjective into an adverb and even worse, to use it as an adjective?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Florestan

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on February 08, 2017, 09:29:29 PM
"Healthy" when meaning "healthful" is bad enough

What's so wrong about "healthy", I wonder?  ???
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Florestan on February 09, 2017, 01:25:55 AM
What's so wrong about "healthy", I wonder?  ???

When I was in school, there was a distinction made between something health giving (healthful) and a state of health (healthy). I don't know why the first term went out of common use.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

Jo498

Maybe because it is strange to think of health as something residing in the fresh fruit and not in the body?
Multiple meanings for "healthy" are so common in many languages that it has been a standard example for a certain kind of multiple meaning/equivocation/homonymy since Plato and Aristotle!
(I fully agree that "healthyish" sounds and looks monstrous and seems also superfluous.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

zamyrabyrd

By way of precision, I still prefer the distinction made between promoting a state of health and it being already achieved.

Cato

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on February 09, 2017, 02:12:41 AM
By way of precision, I still prefer the distinction made between promoting a state of health and it being already achieved.

Good for you! 0:)

The following is true (sad, but true).  Names have been eliminated to protect the innocent.

A supposed History teacher at a local high school gave a test with the following howlers.  Usually things like this come from the students. ;)

These came from the teacher!

"What was the name given to Hitler's blonde harried Germans?"

(True or False)

"Fascism is more concerned with ones individual rights then the groups concerns." :(

And for general incomprehensibility:

"A major reason for the failures of the League of Nations were no force consequences to disobey orders."  ??? ??? ???

My favorite:

"What was the German name for Hitler's lightening war?"  :o :o :o

And you thought World War II was one of the "heavy" wars!

Not one word about Stalin's pact with Hitler, or the invasion by Stalin of Poland and the Baltic states from the East.

Anyway, I am sure the man is a fine coach!  ;)

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Cato on February 11, 2017, 04:15:48 AM
The following is true (sad, but true).  Names have been eliminated to protect the innocent.
A supposed History teacher at a local high school gave a test with the following howlers.  Usually things like this come from the students. ;)
These came from the teacher!
"What was the name given to Hitler's blonde harried Germans?"
(True or False)
"Fascism is more concerned with ones individual rights then the groups concerns." :(
And for general incomprehensibility:
"A major reason for the failures of the League of Nations were no force consequences to disobey orders."  ??? ??? ???
My favorite:
"What was the German name for Hitler's lightening war?"  :o :o :o
And you thought World War II was one of the "heavy" wars!
Not one word about Stalin's pact with Hitler, or the invasion by Stalin of Poland and the Baltic states from the East.
Anyway, I am sure the man is a fine coach!  ;)

Lighten up a cigarette, right?
Maybe the guy is not a native English speaker?  ::)
My high school English teacher was so devoted, she could not sleep if there were any uncorrected dangling participles in homework she may have missed.
Because of her, I still have a hard time with splitting infinitives.
Saying or writing them still makes me feel guilty, or at least uncomfortable...

ZB

Cato

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on February 11, 2017, 04:45:47 AM
Lighten up a cigarette, right?
Maybe the guy is not a native English speaker?  ::)
My high school English teacher was so devoted, she could not sleep if there were any uncorrected dangling participles in homework she may have missed.
Because of her, I still have a hard time with splitting infinitives.
Saying or writing them still makes me feel guilty, or at least uncomfortable...

ZB

:D

Concerning the teacher:   Unfortunately  ;)  no, he is an American and has no excuse for those errors, and I should mention that there were easily a dozen more in spelling and punctuation!

Teachers are supposed to make students uncomfortable, because they are young, ignorant, and these days are much too proud of themselves. They need to grow up and wise up! 8)

Karl Henning

"Did you misplace this modifier, sir?"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Florestan on February 04, 2017, 08:49:33 AM
Scio:)

Just curious, do you say "Skio" or "Shio"?
Maybe Cato can enlighten us as to the current Latin pronunciation.
So many arguments go back and forth in choirs.
I do prefer the Italian as per my family origin.

ZB

zamyrabyrd

Cato

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on February 11, 2017, 06:22:45 AM
Just curious, do you say "Skio" or "Shio"?
Maybe Cato can enlighten us as to the current Latin pronunciation.
So many arguments go back and forth in choirs.
I do prefer the Italian as per my family origin.

ZB

A classical pronunciation uses a "K" sound for any "c" in a word.  The "ch" pronunciation before certain vowels (as in "chin") is more medieval, as Latin changes into Italian.

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Cato on February 11, 2017, 08:54:14 AM
A classical pronunciation uses a "K" sound for any "c" in a word.  The "ch" pronunciation before certain vowels (as in "chin") is more medieval, as Latin changes into Italian.

But you wouldn't say "s-ch-io" but "sh-io" in Italian pronunciation of Latin? Right, or wrong?

Jo498

There is also a "germanized" pronunciation (one will hear in quite a few recordings of Latin church music by German language choirs) that would have "s-tsio". Basically, the c's (that were all hard "k" in classical Latin) become "ts" before "i", "e" and "ae" and double cc becomes "k-ts"
E.g. "ak-tsendit" instead of "ashendit" where classically it would have been "akkendit" although I admit that I do not know how Latin would have been pronounced in the 4th century AD (when the Nicene Creed was formulated); very probably the classical pronunciation had already yielded to different "local" changes by then. (I recently read that by the 8th/9th century old French had departed sufficiently from late Latin/pre-French that people would not understand priests using the current version of ecclesiastical Latin)
Certainly no church choir would have pronounced Latin classically between the high middle ages and today. They would use local pronunciation (and the French one that can be heard on some recordings of Charpentier and other 17th century composers) sounds quite strange to my ears but I trust that it is the way they did it in French catholic churches). So, if one wants historically accuracy the italianate pronunciation is probably wrong for stuff like Bach's b minor, probably also for Beethoven and Haydn. With so many italian singers around in 18th century Germany and Austria, I am not sure although I very much doubt that German/Austrian church choirs would have used that pronunciation. Latin was the main subject for those choir boys in school and I see no indication why they would have used the italianate way in the choir and the germanized in class. However, as most seem to agree that the italianate way is easier to sing, I don't see a reason why international choirs should try to emulate the germanized way. But neither is there a good reason for germanophone choirs to use the italianate way.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Jo498 on February 12, 2017, 05:01:10 AM
There is also a "germanized" pronunciation (one will hear in quite a few recordings of Latin church music by German language choirs) that would have "s-tsio". Basically, the c's (that were all hard "k" in classical Latin) become "ts" before "i", "e" and "ae" and double cc becomes "k-ts". E.g. "ak-tsendit" instead of "ashendit" where classically it would have been "akkendit"...

"Ak-tsendit" (accendit) is really hard to sing, a tongue twister, as the consonants go from back to front, the top of the palate, then through the lips.
There one German choir conductor who tried to impose hard consonants on locals used to Italian pronunciation and were very loathe to change (an understatement).

ZB

Jo498

As I said, I also think it is nonsense to make a choir that is already used to some pronunciation change it. But I see no problem if germanophone choirs (or maybe also some Dutch or Scandinavian, I have no idea which consonants they's prefer) use the germanized pronunciation. (I admit that I personally dislike the French pronunciation.) Except for some cases, e.g. Verdi's Requiem (and this was also sung with germanized Latin in 1960s Germany/Austria) it is not really a right/wrong question. Why should e.g. an American choir singing for American audiences in 2017 try to mimick the germanized Latin pronunciation only because Bach would probably have been used to it?
I all for trying to pronounce, e.g. German in a Bach cantata as correctly as possible. But doing germanized Latin seems a waste of time.
- Blaise Pascal