New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Que on May 04, 2024, 08:03:36 AMInteresting. Nice Alsacian organ: Dominique Thomas-Orgel Église protestante Saint-Jean de Wissembourg.

https://organindex.de/index.php?title=Wissembourg,_Saint-Jean

Thomas organs are always interesting even if this one is tuned equally - not the best choice for Böhm..
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Que

Quote from: prémont on May 04, 2024, 09:32:46 AMhttps://organindex.de/index.php?title=Wissembourg,_Saint-Jean

Thomas organs are always interesting even if this one is tuned equally - not the best choice for Böhm..

Oops... I assumed it would be an historical organ...  ::)

That thing looks scary. :o

prémont

Quote from: Que on May 04, 2024, 12:39:37 PMOops... I assumed it would be an historical organ...  ::)

That thing looks scary. :o

.........Gehäuse als moderne Form nach Arp Schnitger (sehr ähnlich der Ludgerikirche Norden): Hamburger Prospekt mit nur einem Pedalturm in der Emporenbrüstung, Besonderheit: verschiedenfarbig selbstleuchtende Plexiglaslamellen horizontal über dem gesamten Prospekt (ein ,,Markenzeichen" der Orgeln aus dem Haus Dominique Thomas)

Yes, sigh.

The disposition strictly follows Schnitger when you look at the names of the stops. However, the names do not always reflect the actual sound, but Thomas organs are usually reliable in this regard.

Brian

Spotted on Presto:

Tarantelle styrienne
Arabesques
Nocturne in D flat
Pour le piano
Estampes
Images, Books I and II
L'isle joyeuse
83'

82' and on "period instruments" (so they're all only 100 years old?)

CPE Bach - Symphony in D, Wq 183 No 1
CPE Bach - Concerto for Harpsichord and Fortepiano
Mozart - Divertimento in F, K 138
Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 17, K 453

(Mozart was 28 when he wrote that last piece, so I'm not sure why it's on there...but Melnikov takes solo duties)

Todd

Quote from: Brian on May 04, 2024, 03:21:20 PM

82' and on "period instruments" (so they're all only 100 years old?)

Period instrument Mahler?  Hell, let's go for period instrument Schoenberg (Verklarte Nacht and Pelleas und Melisande) and Webern (Im Sommerwind and Passacaglia). 

That Debussy disc looks intriguing.  Do a separate disc with the Preludes, and all the best stuff is there on a twofer. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Madiel

I don't think whether or not 28 is young depends on the age at which you died.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

DavidW

Quote from: Brian on May 04, 2024, 03:21:20 PM

CPE Bach - Symphony in D, Wq 183 No 1
CPE Bach - Concerto for Harpsichord and Fortepiano
Mozart - Divertimento in F, K 138
Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 17, K 453

(Mozart was 28 when he wrote that last piece, so I'm not sure why it's on there...but Melnikov takes solo duties)

Nothing quite says young and foolish like calmly setting at a desk and composing a long, complex classical work! :laugh:

Florestan

Quote from: DavidW on May 05, 2024, 10:06:12 AMNothing quite says young and foolish like calming setting at a desk and composing a long, complex classical work! :laugh:

Mozart and CPE Bach young, alright.

M and CPEB foolish, hardly.

Damn and fuck marketing tricks!

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Atriod

Track listing of Bertrand Chamayou's Cage^2.

1.Mysterious Adventure
2.The Unavailable Memory Of
3.Primitive
4.Part I
5.Part II
6.No. 1
7.No. 2
8.No. 3
9.No. 4
10.No. 5
11.No. 6
12.Root of an Unfocus
13.Daughters of the Lonesome Isle
14.Movement I
15.Movement II
16.Movement III
17.Tossed As It Is Untroubled
18.Bacchanale
19.Our Spring Will Come
20.And the Earth Shall Bear Again

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on May 05, 2024, 10:24:34 AMMozart and CPE Bach young, alright.

We don't even know what it's a reference to. Who says it's a marketing trick? It could be a direct quote (and we don't actually know whether it's referring to the composers).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

JBS

[Somewhat offtopic]
Checking to see how K453 might have some young and foolish associations...I didn't see any, but I did find out about Mozart's starling
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozart%27s_starling

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mandryka

Quote from: Florestan on May 05, 2024, 10:24:34 AMMozart and CPE Bach young, alright.

L'alternance des écritures et des formes entretient de nombreux contrastes qui nous troublent et nous émeuvent jusqu'à nous interroger :: « le jeune est-il vraiment le plus insensé ? »

https://human-music.eu/project/young-and-foolish-avec-alexander-melnikov/
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Florestan

Quote from: Mandryka on May 06, 2024, 03:56:08 AML'alternance des écritures et des formes entretient de nombreux contrastes qui nous troublent et nous émeuvent jusqu'à nous interroger :: « le jeune est-il vraiment le plus insensé ? »

https://human-music.eu/project/young-and-foolish-avec-alexander-melnikov/

Unconvincing and far-fetched, methinks.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Brian

Arabeske
Davidsbundlertanze
Valses nobles et sentimentales
Three Movements from Petrushka

-

also, this will become a complete symphony cycle:

Atriod

I haven't heard any of the performances from Dima Slobodeniouk, anything I should hear from him/them? I have his Kalevi Aho albums in my to hear doc.

Brian

Quote from: Atriod on May 09, 2024, 03:05:29 AMI haven't heard any of the performances from Dima Slobodeniouk, anything I should hear from him/them? I have his Kalevi Aho albums in my to hear doc.
There is a disc of Prokofiev ballet suites (The Gambler and Tale of the Stone Flower) that I enjoy and might provide some insight into how he will approach other Russian rep. Nothing with the Spanish orchestra, however. EDIT: Not true! See below

akebergv

Quote from: Atriod on May 09, 2024, 03:05:29 AMI haven't heard any of the performances from Dima Slobodeniouk, anything I should hear from him/them? I have his Kalevi Aho albums in my to hear doc.

He is conducting Stravinsky's Violin Concerto with the Orquesta Sinfónica de Galicia on an excellent BIS recording with mainly Stravinsky pieces for violin and piano (played by Gringolts and Laul).

Atriod

Coming from Eloquence Australia:

Rafael Orozco - Complete Philips Recordings
Rudolf Firkušný Edition

No further details on which Universal owned labels the Firkušný box will contain, hopefully all of them. His Sony box is one of my most played Sony piano boxes. Orozco will be an easy purchase as well based off his Rach Concerti, Iberia, Chopin Preludes, and Brahms.

Todd

Don't know contents.  Don't care.  Must hear.

Scarlatti and fierce bangs.

Like it or lump it, more and more Clara Schumann PC recordings keep popping up.

DoReMi are cranking out the Lupu.

Quite the mixed twofer.

Torelli.  I love this cover.

Great glamour shot front cover; great glamour shot back cover
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

prémont

Quote from: Todd on May 10, 2024, 11:06:32 AM

It appears to be a Steinway or something, thus not an extension of his fortepiano series for EMI.