Author Topic: Vitezslaw Novak (1870-1949)  (Read 28337 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
Re: Vitezslaw Novak (1870-1949)
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2018, 11:02:56 PM »
There is a lot of great Novak.  This disc is excellent too:
https://www.amazon.com/Lady-Godiva-Profundis-Toman-Nymph/dp/B00004TD53

Following our discussion I fished this CD out to play yesterday and totally agree. I wish that Chandos had recorded some more Novak, not least 'The Storm'. As for the above CD it's great to have a modern recording of 'De Profundis', written under Nazi occupation - a defiantly moving work.

I also like this powerful historic recording - an excellent disc as well.

I prefer the South Bohemian Suite, another assertion of Czech independence at a difficult time, to the more famous Slovak Suite.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:18:20 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Irons

« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2018, 07:34:29 AM »
Checking out vandermolen's list of works for orchestra pretty much sums up the Novak on my shelves. Only one to add is a "Dramatic Overture, Marsa". I have a few chamber works including this one which has a good image of Novak on the cover. He looks a bit like a mad professor. ;D

And behind the slime and the croaking there was , sure enough, like an old master beneath a layer of dirt, the noble outline of that divine music. - Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2018, 09:53:11 AM »
Checking out vandermolen's list of works for orchestra pretty much sums up the Novak on my shelves. Only one to add is a "Dramatic Overture, Marsa". I have a few chamber works including this one which has a good image of Novak on the cover. He looks a bit like a mad professor. ;D

Yes, it's a great photo!

The Piano Quintet gets the thumbs up from me too. Must investigate 'Marsa' which I don't recall.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #123 on: September 08, 2019, 03:44:02 PM »

The only recording I know of the 3rd String Quartet is on this CD and it's spellbinding. As in his 2nd SQ, it's in 2 broad movements widely contrasted in moods. The 1st movement is based on or related to folk music of his native land, jolly almost festive at times, while the 2nd is a deep lament with profoundity enough to grip anyone. All the Novák's late-period mastery is displayed. Easily a masterpiece.

The Cello Sonata is very nice for both instruments. Again, the distinctive more-serious taste of his late period is perceived and always with energy enough.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2019, 10:44:17 AM »

The only recording I know of the 3rd String Quartet is on this CD and it's spellbinding. As in his 2nd SQ, it's in 2 broad movements widely contrasted in moods. The 1st movement is based on or related to folk music of his native land, jolly almost festive at times, while the 2nd is a deep lament with profoundity enough to grip anyone. All the Novák's late-period mastery is displayed. Easily a masterpiece.

The Cello Sonata is very nice for both instruments. Again, the distinctive more-serious taste of his late period is perceived and always with energy enough.

Looks like a must-have CD Cesar. Thanks for alerting us to it.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2019, 11:25:23 AM »
Looks like a must-have CD Cesar. Thanks for alerting us to it.

You're welcome! Just for the SQ 3 is worth getting.