Past Purchases (CLOSED)

Started by Harry, April 06, 2007, 03:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renfield

Quote from: Bogey on August 10, 2011, 06:04:59 AM
Arrives Friday.

Excellent choice!

Though I've hardly given RVW the attention he deserves, compared to certain other turn-of-the-century symphonists (;D), that cycle's always struck me as an undeniable example of great material rendered with the most earnest musicianship.

(Possibly because Vaughan Williams attended proceedings, and also because this was Adrian Boult. Enough said!)

Edit: In fact, so much do I care for this cycle, that I still haven't attempted to approach the Haitink (which I've had for years).

Brahmsian

Won't get it for awhile as it's on backorder - but looking forward to it!   :)

[asin]B003MB9SF2[/asin]

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 10, 2011, 05:56:22 PM
Won't get it for awhile as it's on backorder - but looking forward to it!   :)

[asin]B003MB9SF2[/asin]

Dear Ray, who is the pianist on this recording, and clearly its not complete.!

The new erato

Slightly hard to read, but a variety it seems:

Quote from: The new erato on August 10, 2011, 11:24:14 PM
Slightly hard to read, but a variety it seems:

Thank you dear friend, that looks like some interesting additions to my collection.

Very interesting composer.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Harry on August 10, 2011, 11:21:35 PM
Dear Ray, who is the pianist on this recording, and clearly its not complete.!

You are both right (Harry and Erato).  It isn't all of Schumann's piano music, and it is a variety of pianists.  EMI released a bunch of different Schumann 200th anniversary boxsets last year.  One of them is for Lieder, one for Piano Music, and I believe there may be ones for orchestral and for chamber music also, although I haven't actually seen these.

Que

Quote from: PaulSC on August 11, 2011, 10:09:58 AM
Even more early keyboard music!

Wonderfull!  :) I already saw part of it on the French Baroque thread.

Do you buy in MP3? :)

Q

Papy Oli

A couple ordered tonight :

[asin]B00000417B[/asin][asin]B000001GYC[/asin]
Olivier

PaulSC

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on August 11, 2011, 12:56:34 PM
Wonderfull!  :) I already saw part of it on the French Baroque thread.

Do you buy in MP3? :)

Q
I do often buy in MP3 format. I'm happy with the sound quality, and I have physical disabilities that make it harder for me to handle CDs and other physical media. When I buy downloads, the whole process of shopping, buying, and listening is something I can do without needing the help of an assistant.

I gave about half of the Baumont/Chambonnières a first listen earlier today and am very pleased. There's a lot of compositional variety — pieces with long, spun-out phrases; pseudo-imitative textures; low-register writing that suggests a gamba consort... Baumont's ornamentation is graceful and well controlled.
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Papy Oli on August 11, 2011, 02:41:46 PM
A couple ordered tonight :

[asin]B00000417B[/asin]

A favorite of mine, a wonderful Trio No. 2, D929.
Good purchase, hope you enjoy it.

kishnevi

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 11, 2011, 05:22:25 AM
You are both right (Harry and Erato).  It isn't all of Schumann's piano music, and it is a variety of pianists.  EMI released a bunch of different Schumann 200th anniversary boxsets last year.  One of them is for Lieder, one for Piano Music, and I believe there may be ones for orchestral and for chamber music also, although I haven't actually seen these.

You're correct--a total of four sets in all.  All of them can be characterized as being incomplete, by diverse artists, but probably with a large swathe of his important works.  The most incomplete is probably the Piano Music box.   The Lieder box has enough in it to satisfy my Schumann lieder needs for quite some time, and has the added benefit of containing the Scenes from Faust, although the recording chosen is probably not the best available.  (In fact, for many of the works included, that caveat could probably apply.)

I'll keep my thread duty for a different post.

kishnevi

Several orders arrived yesterday, and I paid a visit to the used CD store this morning to walk away with another pile, so I've got a bit to report on--too many, unfortunately, for me to chase down the cover images.

The most notable thing is that with all these arriving yesterday, I now have nothing on order or in transit for the first time since (I think) May.   I guess I'll now have a chance to catch up with all the listening.

* means I've already listened to it today.

From the used CD store

Mahler: Symphony No. 2  Blomstedt SFO*

Haydn:  Symphonies 70-72  Goodman Hanover Band

Mendelssohn: The Concertos for Two Pianos Coombs/Munro, pianos Maksymiuk BBC Scottish SO (Hyperion Romatic Piano Concerto 3)

Shubert: Wanderer Fantasie/ Schumann Fantasie Op. 17   Pollini

Bridge: String Sextet in E flat major/Lament for Two Violas/String Quintet in E minor  Raphael Ensemble

Haydn: Early Symphonies (No. 4, 6, 9, and 13) Hashimoto Ensemble for Eighteenth Century Music (Centaur label)

F. Devienne: Three Quartets Op. 73 for bassoon, violin, viola and violincello  The performers are listed as a group named "island"--no capitalization (Centaur label)

Szymanowski: Songs with Orchestra [Love Songs of Hafiz/Songs of the Infatuated Muezzin/Songs of a Fairy Tale Princess/Roxana's Song from King Roger/Three Songs after a poem by Jan Kasprowicz] K. Stryja/Polish State Philharmonic State Orchestra (Katowice) with vocalists

Szymanowski: String Quartets [No. 1 in C major, Op. 37/No. 2, Op. 56]/Webern: Langsamer Satz  Carmina Quartet

Lehar: The Merry Widow  Studer/Skovhus/Bonney et al. Gardiner VPO Monteverdi Choir

from Barnes and Noble online:

Bach: English Suites/French Suites/Klavierbuchlein fur WFB Christophe Rousset harpsichord (the Ambroisie box set)

from Arkivmusic:
Bach: Goldberg Variations*/Italian Concerto/Overture in the French Style/Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue/4 Duetti from Clavier Ubung III/6 Partitas Christophe Rousset harpsichord (the Decca (ex L'Ouiseau Lyre) box set)--this was the incredibly cheap one ($15.99)

Bach Art of Fugue Lionel Rogg, organ 2 CD set filled out by three concertos after Vivaldi and one after the Duke of Weimar

Mahler: Piano Songs Fischer-Dieskau/Barenboim recording of a 14 September 1971 Berlin recital issued by Audite

Beethoven: Christus am Olberge Rilling Gachinger Kantorei Bach-Collegium Stuttgart*

Boccherini: String Quintets Opp. 18, 25 and 39 La Magnifica Comunita  volumes 4, 6 and 8 of the Brilliant series. 

from Amazon Marketplace

Bach Art of Fugue Fretwork viols*

Bach Art of Fugue Helmut Walcha organ 2 CD set filled out by two trio sonatas, Toccata and Fugue in d minor, and two others*

already received from the same order: Bach Art of Fugue Gustav Leonhardt, harpsichord (the Vanguard recording)*

Beyond the Bach, Lehar and Mahler, all of these will be totally new to me--even the Beethoven and the Haydn symphonies

Mirror Image

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: PaulSC on August 11, 2011, 02:57:49 PM
I do often buy in MP3 format. I'm happy with the sound quality, and I have physical disabilities that make it harder for me to handle CDs and other physical media. When I buy downloads, the whole process of shopping, buying, and listening is something I can do without needing the help of an assistant.

I had never thought on this favorable aspect of digital downloadings. Thanks for sharing your experience.  :)

BTW, I was listening to some samples of that AoF and it sounds enticing. I was immediately captivated for the idea of this cosmic music played on this essentially domestic keyboard. 

kishnevi

Well, my state of not having any orders on tap lasted a whole thirty six hours.  Arkiv is offering some good discounts on some good stuff (as well on some of the usual compilations that appeal to the Andre Rieu crowd), so I ordered

Wagner Lohengrin (Solti cond.)
Verdi Macbeth (Sinopoli cond.)
Verdi Simon Boccanegra (Abbado cond.)
Bach: Dialogue Cantatas (Quasthoff, Roschmann, et al)
Mahler: Symphony No. 1 (CSO/Solti)
Vivaldi: Oboe Concertos (Ensembe La Follia)

The latter is actually part of their Hanssler sale that I had pending on my wishlist.

Que

Quote from: PaulSC on August 11, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

I can imagine how much more convenient it must be for you! :)
Are the Amazon mp3's up to scratch? It seems in my experience that especially harpsichord music is rather sensitive to compression.

Quote from: toñito on August 11, 2011, 07:27:21 PM
I had never thought on this favorable aspect of digital downloadings. Thanks for sharing your experience.  :)

BTW, I was listening to some samples of that AoF and it sounds enticing. I was immediately captivated for the idea of this cosmic music played on this essentially domestic keyboard. 

Could you give me link? That recording is rather elusive! :)

Q

Sergeant Rock

Arrived in today's mail: Brahms First/Haydn Variations conducted by Ivan Fischer, a CD that was enthusiastically recommended by Brian. The Hurwitzer loves it too; his 10/10 review ended with "Even if you have a hundred recordings of this music, let this disc be your hundred and first."

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 12, 2011, 03:16:11 AM
Arrived in today's mail: Brahms First/Haydn Variations conducted by Ivan Fischer, a CD that was enthusiastically recommended by Brian. The Hurwitzer loves it too; his 10/10 review ended with "Even if you have a hundred recordings of this music, let this disc be your hundred and first."

The Hurwitzer got me curious and the Rice University library provided. :)
Hope it refreshes your feelings toward the symphony!