Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 25, 2016, 10:02:39 AM
:o ;D Sarge will be playing that now!!

Yes, John's review had me eagerly listening to 14 (and 2) again. I suppose "The Wart" has little structural logic, but, oh my, does it make a glorious Havergalian noise  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

I'm trying to visualise a wart's structural logic right now,Sarge! ??? But I see your point! Up the wart,I say!! :o ;D

Augustus

I've found that this new recording of 14 has transformed the way I think of this symphony.  From the Downes recording I had the feeling that it was something like "six or seven disparate ways to start a symphony", but Brabbins has succeeded in placing it firmly in the category of "yet another satisfying Brian symphony, if rather different from the rest".
So, it might well still be HB's weakest construction, but it takes its place in the whole oeuvre as another symphony I love to listen to.  When it comes down to it, there's not one of the 32 I'd willingly give up.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Augustus on September 25, 2016, 12:56:45 PM
I've found that this new recording of 14 has transformed the way I think of this symphony.  From the Downes recording I had the feeling that it was something like "six or seven disparate ways to start a symphony", but Brabbins has succeeded in placing it firmly in the category of "yet another satisfying Brian symphony, if rather different from the rest".
So, it might well still be HB's weakest construction, but it takes its place in the whole oeuvre as another symphony I love to listen to.  When it comes down to it, there's not one of the 32 I'd willingly give up.

Yes.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Augustus

Did anyone attend the Maida Vale studio recording of Symphony 6 yesterday and know when it might be broadcast?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Augustus on October 12, 2016, 01:08:58 AM
Did anyone attend the Maida Vale studio recording of Symphony 6 yesterday and know when it might be broadcast?

http://www.havergalbrian.org/news.php?id=14
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

nathanb

Why are there so many pages here and why do I care?

calyptorhynchus

The best page is 229, closely followed by 307 and 96.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just checked - yes, page 229 stands out.

cilgwyn

springrite

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 13, 2016, 12:08:14 AM
Yes,page 229 stands out! :)

Now I have to re-check 229! You people are evil!!!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

cilgwyn

And 307......and 96! Oh,and don't forget Page 1,where it all began. (Harry never came back,though?!)
If you had the ink and the paper (and time) you could even print it all out and publish it in book form!!

Maybe I should get out more and support Leicester?!!

springrite

Quote from: cilgwyn on October 13, 2016, 01:12:48 AM

Maybe I should get out more and support Leicester?!!

Oh, that was just a one off...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Maestro267

It's great that there is enough of a community of (mainly) appreciators of Brian's music here to make this thread be as big as it is.

John Whitmore

Quote from: springrite on October 13, 2016, 02:19:26 AM
Oh, that was just a one off...
Come on Leicester. Settle down and start performing. Shaky at the back, midfield not creating enough. Vardy off the pace. It's as shoddy as Brian's 5th at the moment.

cilgwyn

ComposerOfAvantGarde

This forum is full of Brian Nutters

Mirror Image