Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 05, 2017, 01:52:27 AM
Thank you,Johan. Unfortunately,a message is popping up telling me I need Office for the others!! :(

Which ones? Oh, you mean the doc files. I'll post them as jpg files.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

The first...

It must read 'Allegro assai'... Where did that s go to?!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

The second...

J.Z. Herrenberg

The third...

J.Z. Herrenberg

And the fourth.

cilgwyn

Microsoft Office is in the list of Programs. I think it might just need to be activated. I have to admit I am a bit of a pen and paper man. Pencil and paper for my novel writing attempts!! Although,if I ever get as far as trying to get something published I obviously (hopefully!) won't send it out like that!! I even have a fully functional typewriter here (no web distractions!!). I've had this pc for over a year now and Microsoft Office has been low on my list of priorities. There's still hope,though! I stopped using crayon a few years ago!! ::)

J.Z. Herrenberg

I won't force you to use Office...  0:)

John Whitmore

Quote from: Hattoff on May 04, 2017, 10:42:22 PM
It was me who sent John the Opera Viva double album, I think,...my memory is not what it should have been. John made a very good transcription and there's some good music there.
Thanks!! Can you email me with your full name, please? The Heritage release is some months away, by the way. You can find a link to my email address here:
http://www.lsso.co.uk/

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 04, 2017, 10:59:28 AM
No,this would be Albion,I presume? Do you mean the Lp set of excerpts from rare English operas? Albion posts regularly at the Art Music Forum,if you want to contact him.

I'm going to brave their string section after I've listened to the LSSO recordings,which I will be putting on shortly! I was wondering myself about those strings,and how much they can do to old recordings,besides merely cleaning them up,getting rid of surface noise,etc. I've also heard about missing notes being added to old recordings. I think one was a Mahler Barbirolli (I'll have to find the cd;it's in the booklet) and one that shocked me! Transfers of Lp Recordings that were apparently speeded up,imperceptibly,so the recording would fit on a single cd. But done in such a way that the average listener wouldn't notice. Again,I think this applies to some Barbirolli,or even Klemperer recordings,and the old Chalabala 1960's recordings of Dvorak's Eben tone poems! Is this true?!!  I remember looking at the timings,and comparing,and they did seem different!! This would be emi and Supraphon,if true?!
I also know that they can perform all kinds of marvels with old movies. You get good prints,and then you get studio jobs  on old movies with access to the master prints and they look almost brand new! Some prints positively sparkle,they look so good. If it wasn't for the old cars and costumes I could almost believe they were new (albeit filmed in b& w).

Johan:I've got another hat,I still haven't had the courage to put on. It looks okay on my father,but he's eighty five! I'm waiting for a rainy day. No one will notice then. Or maybe one dark night? I was just posting about Langgaard on the "What are you listening to now" thread (they think I'm listening to that Brian cd!) and it occurred to me that,I seem to remember reading that  Rued used to like taking walks at three in the morning. Maybe that would be a good time? I haven't got any too-short trousers,though!! ::) :( ;D
Maybe a Rued Langgaard appreciation society could be fun?!! ;D
You can clean up the sound, remove clicks and pops from LPs, add reverb, change the bass and treble etc etc. You can also add missing notes if you have a source for the missing note that matches. In the past I've also done pitch corrections (easy) and sometimes used other fiddles. For example. if there is an identical 8 bar phrase in a piece of music and the second appearance of the phrase is scrappy then it's possible to delete the dodgy passage and then paste in the perfect version. 90% of the time it's just about removing surface noise and modifying the soundstage in terms of top, bottom and reverb.

John Whitmore

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 04, 2017, 11:28:30 AM
Fedoras are rather modish now, albeit Havergal's hat is a trifle higher and squarer than current trends. I have a dozen or so, including straw hats (boaters, I think they were called back in the day).  Very useful to wear when baseball caps* are not suitable to the place or outfit.

*What do they call them in Britain? I have caps aplenty for several sports including football, hockey, basketball, and soccer. Manchester United, Chelsea Rangers, and Madrid Real. Two for Chelsea...and I actually know nothing about the teams, just bought then for the look. And two caps not sport related but Boston related (my home town).

So wear that hat and do Havergal proud.
How dare you. I have numerous hats, shirts and scarves that proclaim: "Leicester City 2015/16 Champions of England"

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 04, 2017, 12:03:28 PM
Psalm 23 is quite stirring in places. Not sure it's Brian at his best,though. The LSSO performance of No 22 sweeps you right into his soundworld. I'm going to have to listen to the Naxos performance again,now. The sound on this Heritage set is terrific. I love the sound of the LSSO strings in the Reverie movement of English Suite No 5. It makes you feel a bit sorry for those Hull Youth Players. I wonder what they would have made of it?! ??? :o :o :o ;D
The playing is vastly superior on Naxos but I sort of prefer the thin, clean LSSO record which seems to have a bit more drive and atmosphere. I'm biased of course........

Hattoff

Quote from: John Whitmore on May 05, 2017, 02:50:53 AM
Thanks!! Can you email me with your full name, please? The Heritage release is some months away, by the way. You can find a link to my email address here:
http://www.lsso.co.uk/

Hi John, The link doesn't seem to work for me and I no loinger have your address. 

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 04, 2017, 12:03:28 PM
Psalm 23 is quite stirring in places. Not sure it's Brian at his best,though. The LSSO performance of No 22 sweeps you right into his soundworld. I'm going to have to listen to the Naxos performance again,now. The sound on this Heritage set is terrific. I love the sound of the LSSO strings in the Reverie movement of English Suite No 5. It makes you feel a bit sorry for those Hull Youth Players. I wonder what they would have made of it?! ??? :o :o :o ;D
Don't feel sorry for the Hull players. They did a sterling job and should be applauded for taking Brian on. It would have been a marvellous experience for them. Should the results have been released commercially? That's another issue.

John Whitmore

Quote from: Hattoff on May 05, 2017, 03:11:15 AM

Hi John, The link doesn't seem to work for me and I no loinger have your address. To make it easy my name is Stephen T Reece. I'll leave my name up until you reply.
Cheers. Name saved. As and when Heritage do this I will get you a copy.

Hattoff

Quote from: John Whitmore on May 05, 2017, 03:17:15 AM
Cheers. Name saved. As and when Heritage do this I will get you a copy.
Thanks. I'll look forward to it.

kishnevi

Quote from: John Whitmore on May 05, 2017, 03:03:55 AM
How dare you. I have numerous hats, shirts and scarves that proclaim: "Leicester City 2015/16 Champions of England"

Not my fault. Haven't seen them here.  Apparently you Brits bought the entire production run.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 05, 2017, 10:50:39 AM
Quote from: John Whitmore on May 05, 2017, 03:03:55 AM

Not my fault. Haven't seen them here.  Apparently you Brits bought the entire production run.

I think I saw one last summer in Providence?—no, no, that was the Bruins.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

calyptorhynchus

I was just reading through Johan's excellent sleeve-notes and lit upon this phrase describing the 5th Symphony:

"....one of Brian's most English efforts, austere and coldly lyrical".

Funnily enough "austere and coldly lyrical" is how several people have described me.

:D
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on May 05, 2017, 04:11:59 PM
I was just reading through Johan's excellent sleeve-notes and lit upon this phrase describing the 5th Symphony:

"....one of Brian's most English efforts, austere and coldly lyrical".

Funnily enough "austere and coldly lyrical" is how several people have described me.

:D

From now on, your name will be - Wine of Summer.

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 05, 2017, 01:43:27 AM
Cannot find a file with liner notes for 8 and 14. So I'll attach a jpg.
Brilliant, great notes Johan and agree that 8 is one of the greatest with 10 and 1. My other favourites are 3,6,7,9,16 and 22 getting to like no.2 more as well.
Thanks Johan.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).