Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: John Whitmore on May 04, 2017, 10:23:03 AM
Their Bantock is better than the Brian but the distant wishy washy acoustic covers a multitude of sins. No plans to release this either. The string playing simply isn't acceptable.
Pity about that. Thought the Performance had a great atmosphere to it but maybe I'm prejudiced as it was the first time I heard that fine score.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on May 05, 2017, 11:25:05 PM
Brilliant, great notes Johan and agree that 8 is one of the greatest with 10 and 1. My other favourites are 3,6,7,9,16 and 22 getting to like no.2 more as well.
Thanks Johan.

Thanks, Jeffrey. It was fun writing them. It is clear, though, that the late and much-lamented Malcolm MacDonald will never be excelled...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 05, 2017, 11:51:19 PM

Thanks, Jeffrey. It was fun writing them. It is clear, though, that the late and much-lamented Malcolm MacDonald will never be excelled...
Your take on HB is just as valid Johan and you are a writer as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

ahinton

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 05, 2017, 11:51:19 PMIt is clear, though, that the late and much-lamented Malcolm MacDonald will never be excelled...
Indeed so!

cilgwyn

Thank you for posting these,Johan. I will read your notes today. Unfortunately,a migraine meant pc monitors were a no-go area!  I don't think Brian's music (or the LSSO) was to blame?!! ;D But I must admit,the more strenuous writing of No 23 didn't help!! The election results may also have been a factor?!! ::) Migraine sufferers may be interested to know that  holding my head under the cold tap for 1' 30" and a further 2 mins and a bit,until the coldness actually 'hurt' actually relieved the symptoms. Two ibuprofens and a quarter of a paracetamol tablet and to my astonishment the pain and throbbing that came with it had gone!!! It sounds nutty,but apparently some people think migraine pain has something to do with the blood vessels. Apply cold water,or ice,and it affects the blood vessels. It usually alleviates the pain for a while;but can get rid of the d*** thing on occasion. I should point out that Taking any dosage of paracetamol or any painkiller above the recommended dosage is inadvisable and not recommended. This relates to a Guardian article which suggested that taking an extra pain killer in addition to the recommended dosage could get rid of a migraine! I have only ever gone as far as taking a quarter of one (broken into pieces) as I really don't think that's a good idea!! But neither is banging your head against a brick wall! Even if I had one!!  For the blissfully uninformed: despite the blurbs on the packets,chain store type pain killers don't always work on migraines,and in my case,usually don't! Hope this helps!! Either way,the pile of Brian cd-r's I had lined up had to be put back in the box!!

Other tips to alleviate a migraine : Don't listen to the Hull Youth SO and definitely avoid Das Siegeslied! ::) ??? :o!
                                                       Jon Leifs. Well,what can I say?!! ::) ??? :o :o :o :(

After the migraine had gone,after reading the posts on the "What are you listening to now" thread,I just couldn't resist putting on Denmark's own answer to Havergal Brian. The Chandos cd of symphonies 4,5 & 6. Off topic,I know (along with Migraine relief advice) but I totally agree with the comments on the WAYLTN thread;this really is quite extraordinary music. I'm still listening now!

Hope no one here has a throbbing head. Although you might after reading this!! ;D

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 05, 2017, 09:02:14 PM

From now on, your name will be - Wine of Summer.
To my ears it's more like Whine of Summer

John Whitmore

Quote from: vandermolen on May 05, 2017, 11:27:33 PM
Pity about that. Thought the Performance had a great atmosphere to it but maybe I'm prejudiced as it was the first time I heard that fine score.
I agree but it was an atmosphere produced by a distant orchestra recorded in a swimming pool. I have a copy if you would like it. Just buy the RPO Hyperion set. Superb. You can contact me by email if you go to http://www.lsso.co.uk and let me have your address.

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 06, 2017, 01:51:00 AM
Thank you for posting these,Johan. I will read your notes today. Unfortunately,a migraine meant pc monitors were a no-go area!  I don't think Brian's music (or the LSSO) was to blame?!! ;D But I must admit,the more strenuous writing of No 23 didn't help!! The election results may also have been a factor?!! ::) Migraine sufferers may be interested to know that  holding my head under the cold tap for 1' 30" and a further 2 mins and a bit,until the coldness actually 'hurt' actually relieved the symptoms. Two ibuprofens and a quarter of a paracetamol tablet and to my astonishment the pain and throbbing that came with it had gone!!! It sounds nutty,but apparently some people think migraine pain has something to do with the blood vessels. Apply cold water,or ice,and it affects the blood vessels. It usually alleviates the pain for a while;but can get rid of the d*** thing on occasion. I should point out that Taking any dosage of paracetamol or any painkiller above the recommended dosage is inadvisable and not recommended. This relates to a Guardian article which suggested that taking an extra pain killer in addition to the recommended dosage could get rid of a migraine! I have only ever gone as far as taking a quarter of one (broken into pieces) as I really don't think that's a good idea!! But neither is banging your head against a brick wall! Even if I had one!!  For the blissfully uninformed: despite the blurbs on the packets,chain store type pain killers don't always work on migraines,and in my case,usually don't! Hope this helps!! Either way,the pile of Brian cd-r's I had lined up had to be put back in the box!!

Other tips to alleviate a migraine : Don't listen to the Hull Youth SO and definitely avoid Das Siegeslied! ::) ??? :o!
                                                       Jon Leifs. Well,what can I say?!! ::) ??? :o :o :o :(

After the migraine had gone,after reading the posts on the "What are you listening to now" thread,I just couldn't resist putting on Denmark's own answer to Havergal Brian. The Chandos cd of symphonies 4,5 & 6. Off topic,I know (along with Migraine relief advice) but I totally agree with the comments on the WAYLTN thread;this really is quite extraordinary music. I'm still listening now!

Hope no one here has a throbbing head. Although you might after reading this!! ;D
I've sent this to Diane "maths genius" Abbott. She will be most grateful provided that she doesn't misread your 2 minutes as 2,000 minutes or 80 million minutes.  :D

cilgwyn

:D This could be the most helpful.......polite advice she's had!! ::) ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: ahinton on May 06, 2017, 12:21:56 AM
Indeed so!

Nice to be in agreement with the Sorabji expert.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Quote from: John Whitmore on May 06, 2017, 02:00:28 AM
I agree but it was an atmosphere produced by a distant orchestra recorded in a swimming pool. I have a copy if you would like it. Just buy the RPO Hyperion set. Superb. You can contact me by email if you go to http://www.lsso.co.uk and let me have your address.
Did they really record this in a swimming pool,John? I can't swim,and the water looks pretty rough in there!! ??? :o ;D

I just looked this up. I hadn't seen this before. I'm sure I read somewhere that it was a planned,or never released Lp of Holbrooke that finally sank the HYSO/Cameo project!

Memo: It would be Holbrooke?!! >:( ;D

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 06, 2017, 03:42:50 AM
Did they really record this in a swimming pool,John? I can't swim,and the water looks pretty rough in there!! ??? :o ;D

I just looked this up. I hadn't seen this before. I'm sure I read somewhere that it was a planned,or never released Lp of Holbrooke that finally sank the HYSO/Cameo project!

Just playing it now. Certainly sounds like it. Recording a piece such as this from what sounds the back of the stalls using a stereo mic (crossed pair I assume) may not have been the best of ideas.To be fair at least the sound has some bloom, the Naxos version is terrible. The orchestra has a fair old crack at the piece and they should be proud of their efforts. For youth players to get involved in playing unusual repertoire such as this simply has to be applauded. I just don't think that it's up to commercial standards. The Holbrooke coupling is a bit of a shocker. I also have a transfer that I made of Hull playing German's 2nd symphony. It's quite decent.

cilgwyn

I can see your point. Fun and educational for them to play and probably for family members and maybe even a fun  night out for the local community;string section notwithstanding & possibly part of the fun?!!! ;D) but to play over and over again in the homes of strangers?!! An enterprising initiative on the part of those behind it,though. Using a youth orchestra to disseminate off the beaten track scores,that would otherwise remain unrecorded;and presumably at a relatively low cost,in contrast to using a professional orchestra. It must have seemed like a much better idea on paper and at discussion level!! Still,it wasn't a complete waste of time. I enjoyed Festal Dance and In Memoriam,even if it made me wonder whether the younger Brian really did compose music for his string section which was always slightly out of tune,and,if so,why?!! ::) ;D Johan enjoyed the Fantastic Variations amongst other early scores,which he wouldn't have been able to hear otherwise;and vandermolen enjoyed their recording of the Hebridean Symphony. A thought occurs to me here. At this point in time,when this Lp came out,had vandermolen heard any other recordings of this work?  And if I was one of those Hull musicians I would have been thrilled that my efforts were being released on an Lp!!! So,I think it was a worthwhile project in some ways! Unfortunately,the problems you point to,inevitably,leading to it's untimely demise!
The photo chosen for the sleeve of the Edward German Symphony is rather nice,I might add!

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 06, 2017, 08:10:51 AM
I can see your point. Fun and educational for them to play and probably for family members and maybe even a fun  night out for the local community;string section notwithstanding & possibly part of the fun?!!! ;D) but to play over and over again in the homes of strangers?!! An enterprising initiative on the part of those behind it,though. Using a youth orchestra to disseminate off the beaten track scores,that would otherwise remain unrecorded;and presumably at a relatively low cost,in contrast to using a professional orchestra. It must have seemed like a much better idea on paper and at discussion level!! Still,it wasn't a complete waste of time. I enjoyed Festal Dance and In Memoriam,even if it made me wonder whether the younger Brian really did compose music for his string section which was always slightly out of tune,and,if so,why?!! ::) ;D Johan enjoyed the Fantastic Variations amongst other early scores,which he wouldn't have been able to hear otherwise;and vandermolen enjoyed their recording of the Hebridean Symphony. A thought occurs to me here. At this point in time,when this Lp came out,had vandermolen heard any other recordings of this work?  And if I was one of those Hull musicians I would have been thrilled that my efforts were being released on an Lp!!! So,I think it was a worthwhile project in some ways! Unfortunately,the problems you point to,inevitably,leading to it's untimely demise!
The photo chosen for the sleeve of the Edward German Symphony is rather nice,I might add!
Brian wrote tonal music. It's out of tune because it's not played properly. Ditto many passages in the LSSO recordings. It's amateurs vs pros at the end of the day.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 06, 2017, 03:42:50 AM

cilgwyn,
Great to see the cover again - thank you.

John,
Thanks for your kind offer - I will be in touch.
I enjoyed your Diane Abbott comment too!
Jeffrey

J.Z. Herrenberg

I wonder what would come out if you asked Diane Abbott: 'How many symphonies did Havergal Brian compose?'

vandermolen

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on May 06, 2017, 11:56:05 PM
I wonder what would come out if you asked Diane Abbott: 'How many symphonies did Havergal Brian compose?'
:)

vandermolen

Quote from: John Whitmore on May 06, 2017, 02:00:28 AM
OT

I have the great Hyperion set, the Marco Polo/Naxos and an interesting Boult version on Intaglio possibly a bootleg. Downes's Pagan Symphony on BBC Radio Classics is also very good I think.

John Whitmore

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on May 06, 2017, 11:56:05 PM
DA: At the time of this interview it was 6.
Interviewer: It's actually more than 30
DA: Last time I looked it was 25
Interviewer: Why did you say 6 then?
DA: I misspoke
;D

Christo

Quote from: John Whitmore on May 07, 2017, 12:50:21 AMDA: At the time of this interview it was 6.
Interviewer: It's actually more than 30
DA: Last time I looked it was 25
Interviewer: Why did you say 6 then?
DA: I misspoke
;D 
;D :D ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948