Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Re Faust Fund, last time I looked they're almost there. As for non-symphonic favourites, that's a hard one. I love the Third English Suite very much. That might be my favourite. Though I love the concertos, symphonic poems and many songs just as much... And the Prologue to Faust is among the best things Brian ever did. I am with you regarding Prometheus Unbound.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

After being offline for around five months (life is still possible,believe it,or nor?!) after my pc packed up;I'm finally back,with the cheapest one in the store! Good points,so far. It was very small & easy to carry home;and the quietest one I've owned so far! How long it will last is another matter!
But the important bit,now! While I was offline I still couldn't resist the urge to spend some money on cd's. Well,I just couldn't resist the recent cd of Symphonies 8,21 & 26,anymore! Luckily for me :),but not for my bank balance :(,there was still one chap (or chap-ess?) who sends out paper lists :o :o :o and accepts cheques! :) Anyway,to cut a long (continues until page 94! ;D) .........I was very impressed by the performances. Obviously the sound quality is an advance. The opening of the eighth seems a tad quicker than on the Groves recording. I was a bit surprised by it,after the Groves! Overall,I thought it was a very satisfying interpretation. The twenty first aroused considerable interest,because it was,as it was for many others,one of the first (third,in my case;after Schmidt's Gothic) Brian symphonies I ever heard. Also,the fact that it was a schools orchestra;which made for a particularly interesting comparison.  It was wonderful to hear it in such excellent sound. The clarity of the sound,the gossamer textures in the more playful moments. That said,I am sure John will be pleased to hear that I do feel that the LSSO performance has more of that gossamer playfulness and fleet footed-ness. In fact,if the LSSO had been able to enjoy the technical quality of this recording,I think their's would still be my favourite recording of this symphony......and possibly,still is? The Russian orchestra seem to take a less nimble footed approach. That said,they are both very good;and a fine complement to one another. Isn't it wonderful to be able to enjoy the luxury of these comparisons?!I am delighted to hear that the Seventh is going to receive a new recording,as it is one of my favourites. As to the twenty sixth. I have to say,I have left it till least,because it is not one of my favourites. That said,I am obviously very pleased that it has received a commercial recording. I am going to have to listen to it again. Maybe,I will crack it one day. For me,the next Brian symphony I enjoy after No 21,or even 22 (?) is No 30.

Wait a minute! Did someone say that the Faust fund has nearly reached it's target?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course,I did 'disappear' a bit before my pc konked out..........being rather embarassed about not ordering,or buying the cd. I think I justified it by telling myself,repeatedly,that I was quite happy with Groves eighth and the LSSO twenty-first;and didn't really like the twenty-sixth that much! Well,you've got to have an excuse!! ::) :-[

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 23, 2018, 08:16:46 AM
After being offline for around five months

Welcome back!

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on March 23, 2018, 12:23:37 PM
+1

:)

+2

(I think that the final movement of No. 21 really is better in the Naxos, btw.)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

cilgwyn

Thanks! It's nice to be back here! You may well be right about the final movement of No 21,and probably are. I have no problem with the performances,however. I think they are both very fine interpretations. Each having an entirely valid perspective. To be honest the Vivace is where the LSSO still seem to score for me (looking it up,this time,instead of trying to rely on memory! ::)). Apart from that,I think I prefer the Russian performance. The sound quality,the strings. It really does make a difference. Although,I think the collection on the Heritage 2 cd set will still provide pleasurable,and insightful, listening to HB fans for years to come. I can see the set reaching high prices too,s/h,when it is finally deleted from the catalogue. I think their recording of the tenth still reigns supreme,though! A Brian classic,imho. (I am always keeping a look out for a s/h copy of the Forlane set. I have the recordings and liner notes;but one of the cd's,in the s/h set I bought,had a fault!! :() It will be interesting to see what they do with No 7. I'm glad they are going to record it. I think the Mackerras recording was very good;but Newstone was even better. However, if it came to the crunch,the third would be top of my list on the,"needs a new recording list";as the Hyperion recording wasn't one of their best. I suppose it's more expensive to record,though? No matter though,like most here,I've got the excellent Klassic Haus restoration of the Pope third. I wonder if a studio recording of Das Siegeslied will,eventually,emerge,too? I keep hoping Testament will come up trumps (for example?). And I would love an "official" release of the Ole Schmidt Gothic. Still my favourite,because it's the first one (like many other people) I ever heard. The sound of that fainting choirboy,too......preserved for posterity! ??? ;D

Jumping the gun a bit,of course,here.........................as usual!! ::) ;D

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 23, 2018, 08:16:46 AM
After being offline for around five months (life is still possible,believe it,or nor?!) after my pc packed up;I'm finally back,with the cheapest one in the store! Good points,so far. It was very small & easy to carry home;and the quietest one I've owned so far! How long it will last is another matter!
But the important bit,now! While I was offline I still couldn't resist the urge to spend some money on cd's. Well,I just couldn't resist the recent cd of Symphonies 8,21 & 26,anymore! Luckily for me :),but not for my bank balance :(,there was still one chap (or chap-ess?) who sends out paper lists :o :o :o and accepts cheques! :) Anyway,to cut a long (continues until page 94! ;D) .........I was very impressed by the performances. Obviously the sound quality is an advance. The opening of the eighth seems a tad quicker than on the Groves recording. I was a bit surprised by it,after the Groves! Overall,I thought it was a very satisfying interpretation. The twenty first aroused considerable interest,because it was,as it was for many others,one of the first (third,in my case;after Schmidt's Gothic) Brian symphonies I ever heard. Also,the fact that it was a schools orchestra;which made for a particularly interesting comparison.  It was wonderful to hear it in such excellent sound. The clarity of the sound,the gossamer textures in the more playful moments. That said,I am sure John will be pleased to hear that I do feel that the LSSO performance has more of that gossamer playfulness and fleet footed-ness. In fact,if the LSSO had been able to enjoy the technical quality of this recording,I think their's would still be my favourite recording of this symphony......and possibly,still is? The Russian orchestra seem to take a less nimble footed approach. That said,they are both very good;and a fine complement to one another. Isn't it wonderful to be able to enjoy the luxury of these comparisons?!I am delighted to hear that the Seventh is going to receive a new recording,as it is one of my favourites. As to the twenty sixth. I have to say,I have left it till least,because it is not one of my favourites. That said,I am obviously very pleased that it has received a commercial recording. I am going to have to listen to it again. Maybe,I will crack it one day. For me,the next Brian symphony I enjoy after No 21,or even 22 (?) is No 30.

Wait a minute! Did someone say that the Faust fund has nearly reached it's target?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course,I did 'disappear' a bit before my pc konked out..........being rather embarassed about not ordering,or buying the cd. I think I justified it by telling myself,repeatedly,that I was quite happy with Groves eighth and the LSSO twenty-first;and didn't really like the twenty-sixth that much! Well,you've got to have an excuse!! ::) :-[

Very kind. However, symphony 10 is relatively easy to play but 21 is more of a stretch for kids - exposed passages, harder string parts etc. 21 was never going to be as good as 10 on the Unicorn LP. Impossible. I've not heard the Naxos 21 but if it doesn't run rings around the Unicorn performance the orchestra should hang their collective heads in shame. I must get it, I like the piece.

relm1

What is your favorite CD of Havergal Brian's music?  For me, I think it might be this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Havergal-Brian-Orchestral-Pieces-Tigers/dp/B001UK51FS

It is just such a gorgeous disc.  Though I might have works of his I like more, this disc is one I am constantly amazed by its depth, range, and beauty.  It is just such a gorgeous disc.  Though I might have works of his I like more, this disc is one I am constantly amazed by its depth, lyricism, range, and beauty.  Gargoyles for example, so beautiful!  This seems like an hour long symphony.

John Whitmore

This was reissued by Heritage. A nice CD well recorded but the orchestral playing is not premier league. Still worth buying though.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphonic-Movements-Tigers-Havergal-Brian/dp/B00K1LJRAM

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on April 27, 2018, 04:30:26 PM
What is your favorite CD of Havergal Brian's music?  For me, I think it might be this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Havergal-Brian-Orchestral-Pieces-Tigers/dp/B001UK51FS

It is just such a gorgeous disc.  Though I might have works of his I like more, this disc is one I am constantly amazed by its depth, range, and beauty.  It is just such a gorgeous disc.  Though I might have works of his I like more, this disc is one I am constantly amazed by its depth, lyricism, range, and beauty.  Gargoyles for example, so beautiful!  This seems like an hour long symphony.
Groves's LP/CD of symphonies 8 and 9 is my favourite plus the LSSO Unicorn/Heritage version of Symphony 10.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

That Tigers disc is a testament to Brian's incredible range. Yes, it's certainly one of my favourite recordings. I concur with vandermolen on LSSO 10 and Groves 8 & 9. Among newer recordings I thoroughly enjoy the Brabbins disc with 10, 30, Concerto for Orchestra and Third English Suite.

P.S. The closing pages of the Concerto really have the 'roof-raising' quality which Malcolm MacDonald ascribes to the ending of Symphony No. 20, wrongly, in my opinion. Brian is a tad too concise there for that sensation really to materialise inside this listener.

Daverz

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on April 28, 2018, 02:46:34 AM
That Tigers disc is a testament to Brian's incredible range. Yes, it's certainly one of my favourite recordings. I concur with vandermolen on LSSO 10 and Groves 8 & 9.

The new Alexander Walker recording of 8 sounds hugely different from the Groves, much punchier, yet I really like them both.

Augustus

Does anyone know a release date for the Dutton disc of "The Vision of Cleopatra"?  It seems to have been sitting in the Dutton vaults for an uncharacteristically long time?

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on April 28, 2018, 03:29:24 AM
The new Alexander Walker recording of 8 sounds hugely different from the Groves, much punchier, yet I really like them both.
Me too

Biffo

The Heritage issue of The Tigers disc can be had from Presto Classical at less than a half of Amazon.co.uk's price. It is also available on Spotify.

SymphonicAddict

Recently I've played In Memoriam from this recording:

Wow! This is astounding. I fell in love with it instantly. The kind of works that appeals to me hugely. A true tribute to some friend that passed away or a solemn event (it's not completely specified).

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 02, 2018, 09:25:52 AM
Recently I've played In Memoriam from this recording:

Wow! This is astounding. I fell in love with it instantly. The kind of works that appeals to me hugely. A true tribute to some friend that passed away or a solemn event (it's not completely specified).
A great work and a great disc IMHO.

SymphonicAddict

Hattoff

Quote from: Augustus on May 02, 2018, 01:51:12 AM
Does anyone know a release date for the Dutton disc of "The Vision of Cleopatra"?  It seems to have been sitting in the Dutton vaults for an uncharacteristically long time?

According to the latest HB society newsletter it should be out in June.