Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on April 24, 2019, 09:56:56 PM
I believe it when I see it...  ;)

You're right not to believe me.  The Brisbane Gothic was from 2012 not 2010 so I was in fact incorrect and the event I described never happened.  Well done.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: relm1 on April 25, 2019, 06:45:57 AM
You're right not to believe me.  The Brisbane Gothic was from 2012 not 2010 so I was in fact incorrect and the event I described never happened.  Well done.

But the Brisbane Gothic was in 2010!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Am I the only one here who attended the Ole Schmidt Gothic in London (1980) ?  0:)

On a separate note I received a welcome email today from the HB Society informing me that they had posted (second class) a parcel to me containing the new Naxos CD of symphonies 7 and 16 and the HBS mug. My only concern is that, with the addition of the mug, it may be more difficult to smuggle this item into the house.
>:D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on April 24, 2019, 11:11:28 AM

Ha! Karl! All well. As you know, my novel was published last August. Now in its third printing and well-received by critics and fellow poets and novelists. Life could be worse.

Excellent news!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2019, 10:33:30 AM
Am I the only one here who attended the Ole Schmidt Gothic in London (1980) ?  0:)

On a separate note I received a welcome email today from the HB Society informing me that they had posted (second class) a parcel to me containing the new Naxos CD of symphonies 7 and 16 and the HBS mug. My only concern is that, with the addition of the mug, it may be more difficult to smuggle this item into the house. >:D
Perhaps you could first try this one:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on April 25, 2019, 01:09:26 PM
Perhaps you could first try this one:

I definitely want one of those mugs!
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2019, 10:33:30 AMMy only concern is that, with the addition of the mug, it may be more difficult to smuggle this item into the house.

;D :D ;D ...good luck!

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

'Mugging' gets a whole new meaning now.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2019, 10:33:30 AM

On a separate note I received a welcome email today from the HB Society informing me that they had posted (second class) a parcel to me containing the new Naxos CD of symphonies 7 and 16 and the HBS mug. My only concern is that, with the addition of the mug, it may be more difficult to smuggle this item into the house.
>:D
No offense that is like the zenith of nerdiness, in musical terms of course.

hbswebmaster

I was at the Schmidt 1980 Gothic also. Do you remember the choirboy incident?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: hbswebmaster on April 25, 2019, 10:29:24 PM

That 'you' is vandermolen /Jeffrey, of course. But I know the recording and I remember that curious thud...

vandermolen

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 25, 2019, 03:43:15 PM
No offense that is like the zenith of nerdiness, in musical terms of course.

I agree! :)

vandermolen

I hope that this isn't a trick question to see if I was actually in attendance  ;)
No, but I guess from Johan's comment that he fainted.
I think that it was the first time that I'd heard any Havergal Brian.

hbswebmaster

No trick at all, Jeffrey! 😜 Towards the end of the first choral movement, a choirboy not only fainted, but plummeted into the LSO's percussion section. Schmidt was on the verge of stopping the performance but got a signal that the boy was ok.

Christo

Quote from: hbswebmaster on April 25, 2019, 11:45:08 PM
No trick at all, Jeffrey! 😜 Towards the end of the first choral movement, a choirboy not only fainted, but plummeted into the LSO's percussion section. Schmidt was on the verge of stopping the performance but got a signal that the boy was ok.

A 'choirboy plummeting into the percussion section' sounds more like a prescription for a Fluxus happening.  :-[
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: hbswebmaster on April 25, 2019, 11:45:08 PM

Thanks.

How could I not remember that!?

cilgwyn

It was,very,audible! I remember wondering what it was,when I played back the cassette,I made as a teenager;with my radio,cassette recorder! I listened to the Gothic so much,I remember I'd actually hear that 'bit',when I "played it back",in my head. I think I even "heard" it on the Marco Polo recording,for a while?! (It sounds like a,sort of,soft 'flump',or 'floomph'!)  It reminds me of,one of those Lp's,where the needle (unlike it's laser replacement!) jumped to the next damaged groove. When I got the recording on cd,I'd "hear" that bit,in my head! Gradually,the memory would fade,as I got used to hearing the recording without the,damaged bit! I can't help,being reminded of this,when the laser,on my cd player,discovers some minute scratch,on a s/h cd,I've just bought,and grinds (actually,skips or freezes!) to a halt! ! If only lasers could perform the same 'trick'?!! ::) ;D Although,maybe,some top end machines do? I even have to help my current cd player,to "read" cd's,by opening and shutting the door,several times! Although,It's very good,once it manages to read the b***** thing!  And they,definitely,should have put an,"open the draw" button,on the remote control! I keep having to get out of my chair!! >:( ;D

cilgwyn

By the way? Is there any hope,at all,of a new studio recording of No 3?!! A big favourite of mine! A Dutton recording,with Martyn Brabbins,would be just what the doctor ordered! :)
(Or trip to Honolulu,like Laurel and Hardy,in Sons of the Desert? Some,hope?!! :( ;D).

relm1

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 26, 2019, 04:08:00 AM
By the way? Is there any hope,at all,of a new studio recording of No 3?!! A big favourite of mine! A Dutton recording,with Martyn Brabbins,would be just what the doctor ordered! :)
(Or trip to Honolulu,like Laurel and Hardy,in Sons of the Desert? Some,hope?!! :( ;D).

I thought the No.3 hyperion was quite fine and would prefer a new superior recording of No. 4 instead.