Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 08, 2011, 02:00:15 AM
I'm afraid I won't make it. When the concert was initially announced (unofficially) my chronic condition had improved to the point I thought I could make the trip (and survive two hours sitting in one position). But it's worsened in recent months. I have no way to predict how I'll feel in July. Booking plane tickets, buying the concert tickets....too risky...at least Mrs. Rock doesn't want to risk it (we've already missed concerts, and lost money). It was almost a relief to read how quickly it sold out--at least I have that excuse to somewhat alleviate the pain of missing what would have been undoubtedly a once in a lifetime experience. Life sucks sometimes.

Sarge

Very sorry to hear this.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Klaatu

Like others, I logged onto the RAH site shortly after it opened, was informed the "waiting room" was already full and eventually flagged up at about number 4,900.

Needless to say, I didn't get a ticket!

The bloody thing sold out faster than the Led Zeppelin reunion!!

The only good thing that might possibly happen is for The Gothic to become known as a sure-fire sell-out, which may encourage other festivals to perform it. That's happened to Mahler 8 so there's no reason why it shouldn't happen to Brian 1 !

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Klaatu on May 08, 2011, 12:19:33 PM
Like others, I logged onto the RAH site shortly after it opened, was informed the "waiting room" was already full and eventually flagged up at about number 4,900.

Needless to say, I didn't get a ticket!

The bloody thing sold out faster than the Led Zeppelin reunion!!

The only good thing that might possibly happen is for The Gothic to become known as a sure-fire sell-out, which may encourage other festivals to perform it. That's happened to Mahler 8 so there's no reason why it shouldn't happen to Brian 1 !

Pity!

Let's hope so!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Luke

Quote from: Klaatu on May 08, 2011, 12:19:33 PM

What a fabulous piece of positive thinking - fingers crossed that you are correct.

I imagine that there is a possibility - a small one, but even so - that the BBC may choose to broadcast the concert on BBC 4 television as well. That would be one to record!

To close a few circles - when I was young, and a member of that most Brianic of orchestras the Leicestershire Schools Symphony Orchestra (of blessed repute), Mr Brabbins came to conduct us in John Woolrich's The Barber's Timepiece and Giya Kancheli's fabulous Vom Winde beweint - the UK premiere. (Afterwards he became principal guest conductor or something). Brabbins admitted during rehearsal that he'd never heard a recording of the Kancheli - but I, an 18 year old in the cello section, had, in fact, and lent him my much-loved CD (the ECM one with the Schnitkke, played by Kim Kashkashian). I don't think I ever got it back (thankfully the Bashmet recordings with which I replaced both pieces are even better!) - he's a busy man, of course. But still, if he's reading this, perhaps he could bring it along on the 17th of July and fling it out in the auditorium in my general direction  ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Haha!

By the way - Martyn Brabbins has conducted several pieces by John Pickard. Both have connections with the brass band world, and John Pickard is a Brian enthusiast I corresponded with in the 1980s, when he studied with Louis Andriessen in The Hague. I met him in Birmingham in 1987, at an amateur performance of Brian's Third Symphony, where he helped out with the percussion... Just to tie up some other loose ends.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Having spoken to my brother about the 17th July I reckon that we'll attempt to prom at the Gothic Symphony. Having walked the 300 miles of the Pennine Way together many years ago I reckon that we can attempt a similar feat of epic endurance.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on May 08, 2011, 01:22:33 PM
Having spoken to my brother about the 17th July I reckon that we'll attempt to prom at the Gothic Symphony. Having walked the 300 miles of the Pennine Way together many years ago I reckon that we can attempt a similar feat of epic endurance.

Excellent! And when the going = standing still gets tough, just lean on your brother.  ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 08, 2011, 01:24:11 PM

Excellent! And when the going = standing still gets tough, just lean on your brother.  ;D

Excellent advice - but could be the other way round  :D

DaveF

All,

I was a regular-ish Proms season-ticket holder in the 80s and 90s, but had limited experience of actually queueing for big events.  Does anyone have a recommendation as to what time on July 17th (or July 16th plus sleeping-bag) one should aim to join the queue to be sure of an arena spot?  (Sorry if this has already been asked - looked back a page or two and couldn't see it.)

Thanks,
DF
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

cilgwyn

The Guardian newspaper editorial today is,wait for it............"In Praise of Havergal Brian"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cilgwyn

87,000 tickets sold in the first 12 hours and it's not worth putting on tv!

cilgwyn

Read the last three lines. The BBC need their heads examined!

J.Z. Herrenberg

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: DaveF on May 09, 2011, 02:43:31 AM
All,

I was a regular-ish Proms season-ticket holder in the 80s and 90s, but had limited experience of actually queueing for big events.  Does anyone have a recommendation as to what time on July 17th (or July 16th plus sleeping-bag) one should aim to join the queue to be sure of an arena spot?  (Sorry if this has already been asked - looked back a page or two and couldn't see it.)

Thanks,
DF

Try getting a Promming Ticket, if they're still there. Or save up quickly for some tickets here (and you may add 30- 40 pounds in handling fees and delivery costs...)

http://www.getmein.com/tickets/prom-4-brian-the-gothic-symphony-tickets/london-202377.html

cilgwyn

The number of 'comments' left on the Guardian site have grown even since I last looked. Some negative ones,but that's a healthy sign. But not too many! I see yours there allready. I think what you say is true. The first time I heard it I just wallowed in the sounds. The second time it seemed almost like an amorphous mass & I remember being incredibly intrigued a little disappointed. Then after a few more listens I began to map the colossal edifice out in my head. After a couple of weeks of listening I could practically 'sing' it all the way through (I think it is sometimes known as 'mouth music'!). Vast and incredibly complex it may be,but,strangely enough, it's also,in it's own way, one of the most tuneful pieces of music I have ever heard!
  As to the concert itself. I honestly would go,but for reasons of health combined with the issues I mentioned in my 'message' I'm afraid this is unlikely to happen. So I will probably be kicking myself for a very long time. In  fact,I don't wish to appear morbid,but the inscription on my grave my grave may very well read:

" The Fool missed the Gothic!"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Mine could well read: 'The Fool died at the Gothic'! Paul Rapoport, a Brian expert, wrote on Facebook that the Gothic was the only piece during which he all but fainted...

Scarpia

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 09, 2011, 09:13:05 AM
Mine could well read: 'The Fool died at the Gothic'! Paul Rapoport, a Brian expert, wrote on Facebook that the Gothic was the only piece during which he all but fainted...

There is a fine line between fainting and dozing off.   ;D 
(Sorry, couldn't help myself)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Haha!

There are a few passages that could wake the dead, so I think anyone's sleep will be fitful at best...

cilgwyn

Mind you,a Prom performance of the 'Gothic' might be a good venue to (if you'll pardon the expression JZH) to 'pop my clogs. Preferably during the 'Te Deum'. With all the crowd & the volume of all those massed performances I doubt if my demise would spoil the fun.
Funnily enough,that last observation reminded me. I seem to remember that there was a 'blooper' on one of those old performances of the 'Gothic'. I can't remember whether it was the Boult or Schmidt performance,but there was a noise like a faint 'thud' (?) in one place during the performance. I remember reading somewhere that it was the sound of a choirboy fainting. Is this true or just the Brian equivalent of an 'urban legend'? There definately was a noise at one point. It could have been something faling,but it could get hot in a crowd of people like that.
I remember being at a performance of Rossini's 'La Cerentola' many years ago. Very enjoyable it was too,even if I'm not especially 'into' Rossini. At one point one of the soloists fainted & the audience watched with great amusement as he was dragged off the stage,head first,from behind the curtain,still unconscious!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Yes, you're right. It's in the Schmidt 'Gothic', during the Te deum laudamus, at a point just before 'Christe, Christe'. If I remember correctly... No, it's later, before the coda. After a descending euphonium (?)