Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

You got me!
While preparing (!) my reply I couldn't remember exactly where Brian was born. Of course I remembered then,because of Dresden and the Potteries. It's just funny in a way because it's Dresden,but not in Germany,of course! I knew there was something unusual or striking about the name,it just slipped my mind. Anyway,while on Wikipedia I clicked on the LSSO site & found the 1998 reunion video on 'Youtube'. What a nice suprise. I didn't know they'd got back together. Unfortunately,I don't have much time to watch it now  as I am cooking & I don't want charcoal for supper!
They've got some interesting stuff on their site too. I'll have another look soon.

cilgwyn

Dresden in the Potteries,how could I forget that? As they say in Wales,'Duw! Duw!'
There are some posts from some of the LSSO members on this thread. I'll have a look at them. Which reminds me to look through some of the earlier Brian posts again. There's allot of useful information there & I need to swot up.

cilgwyn

That way I won't slip up!!!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Well, this thread is getting longer and longer. So I'll see you again in a few weeks' time.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Yes,maybe I should have chosen poor old Henry Cowells thread!

J.Z. Herrenberg

cilgwyn

Henry Cowell is a lucky man after all! It sounds like Rebikov needs a commercial. Is he REALLY that boring? Maybe an (ash free) airline could help him?
It sounds like the sort of 'thread' I start.
For some reason his photo on Wikipedia made me laugh. Perhaps a mug shot would help!
(It's quite a nice photo really).
According to 'Wiki' he died a forgotten figure,bitter and disillusioned.Oh dear,that 'thread' doesn't help!!!!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I see what you mean.  :D

cilgwyn

It doesn't help. It reminds me of that sitcom,'Allo! Allo!' But he is Russian and he is actually probably dressed very sensibly for the Russian weather.
Oh well,thinks are looking up for Rebikov. He's now got three more posts.............on the wrong thread.

J.Z. Herrenberg

;D

René's long-lost Russian brother.

cilgwyn

'Read zis very carefully,I shall post zis only once!'

J.Z. Herrenberg

DaveF

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 24, 2011, 06:54:42 AM

I now think 'another performance already under our belt' could also refer to the second Toccata release... A few pages ago I remember giving the recording date of the Naxos. If that isn't behind us yet, the 'rival forum' might well be right.

I understood the performance "under the belt" as meaning "we've already had one recent performance of The Gothic" (the Brisbane one).

DF
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: DaveF on May 25, 2011, 12:59:21 AM
I understood the performance "under the belt" as meaning "we've already had one recent performance of The Gothic" (the Brisbane one).

DF

You might be right... That simple mail is as cryptic as late Brian.  :D

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 24, 2011, 11:28:06 AM
You got me!
While preparing (!) my reply I couldn't remember exactly where Brian was born. Of course I remembered then,because of Dresden and the Potteries. It's just funny in a way because it's Dresden,but not in Germany,of course! I knew there was something unusual or striking about the name,it just slipped my mind. Anyway,while on Wikipedia I clicked on the LSSO site & found the 1998 reunion video on 'Youtube'. What a nice suprise. I didn't know they'd got back together. Unfortunately,I don't have much time to watch it now  as I am cooking & I don't want charcoal for supper!
They've got some interesting stuff on their site too. I'll have another look soon.

I added the LSSO article onto Wiki and also the LSSO part of the Wiki Brian article. The LSSO still exists but isn't at the peak of the 70s and 80s when it had Tippett, Previn. Bliss and Groves conducting. I've been to 4 reunions, the last one being in Bedworth in 2004. The 1998 reunion included players from the 60s, 70s and 80s and there are certainly a few from the 1972 Unicorn session playing in the Brian 10th in 1998 , including 3 of the percussion players (One from the BBCSO and one from the LSO). I took the video. I've uploaded all the LSSO Brian stuff onto my YouTube channels, John1951w and bannan61, not because I'm a Brian fan but just to put as many LSSO clips on line as possible. Eric Pinkett's son, Nigel (cellist with the RPO) has a couple of tapes of the Symphony 22 and Suite No.5 from Brighton and Leicester. These were run throughs for the CBS record in 1974. As I say, I'm no Brian fan but I'm proud of the LSSO's achievemants in this story.
PS I was just pissing by!!

Luke

Quote from: Johnwh51 on May 29, 2011, 08:44:33 AM
PS I was just pissing by!!

You may want to edit this edit! :o

J.Z. Herrenberg

John likes to have wicked fun at us poor Brianites. I think the typo is intentional...  ;D

Lethevich

;D

Edit: this, out of context, at the top of a new page is so ridiculous I just have to leave it as it is.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

"Good moaning, I was jist pissing by the Havergall Brain thread."