Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke

J.Z. Herrenberg

Oh, one interesting tidbit of information - I don't know WHAT they are recording, but a new Brian CD is being recorded now. John Grimshaw revealed it yesterday, but remained tantalisingly cagey... It could be the second Toccata CD.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Quote from: Luke on August 26, 2011, 04:00:47 AM
Ravel? Dreary? Fie and shame! 

:)

Knew I could count on Luke to step in ahead of me here!

cilgwyn

Believe me,I HAVE tried!
(More good news from Johan).

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 26, 2011, 03:59:14 AM
Good point Karl. I've never heard a score by Milhaud that didn't sound utterly banal. At the same time I find Ravel dreary and unappealing despite the fact that he's obviously a master. Terrible of me,eh?
By the way,what are you're favourite Brian scores,if any,John?
Love the 10th. The best 10th in the business. It's high up in the list of my top 50 favourite works. I now also like 21 a lot having revisited it after 30 years and played it to death on my hols fror 3 weeks. Psalm 23 is beautiful in an old fashioned English sort of way. Love the 1st and 3rd movements of the Gothic but not so sure about the rest of it (thus far!!). Some sections of the fiddle concerto are admirable. The Tigers Suite is very attractive indeed ditto In Memorium (very moving). I've just listened to the 8th twice through and I'm warming to it. Indeed I like more of Brian's music than I do of several other composers so I'm partly converted. Ravel - to me Mother Goose is one of the most wonderful orchestral scores ever put on paper, especially the concluding pages. Masterful orchestration and amazing, soulful, inspired music. Just superb. By the way, having listened to HB 8 twice through, it whet my appetite so I watched the DVD of The Unknown Warrior, just about the most touching portrait of a composer to have been put out on TV. I still await my pro transfer of the LSSO/CBS LP but watch this space. I will share the files when available.

John Whitmore

In an earlier post Johan refers to the liking I have for the 8 symphonies of Benjamin Frankel. He has a very clear unclutterd style which I personally find very appealing. Others won't feel the same. If anyone is interested in listening to this composer's work here is a link to my Mediafire account:

http://www.mediafire.com/?aq78i8vx47ccb

cilgwyn

Interesting choice. I find you're criticism interesting,because unlike some of Brian's critics,you obviously have really put some effort into listening to the music itself,instead of the 'hype' (if that's the right word?!!!).
Regarding,Mother Goose. Come to think of it,that is a score I DO like.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 26, 2011, 04:39:21 AM
Interesting choice. I find you're criticism interesting,because unlike some of Brian's critics,you obviously have really put some effort into listening to the music itself,instead of the 'hype' (if that's the right word?!!!).

I can vouch for that. John and I have been in contact for years now, and he started out liking the 10th. Nothing more. So that's quite a journey...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

John is living proof that people who like Brian aren't all misguided cranks who think every single piece of music Brian wrote is a work of shattering,epoch making genius.
Well,we don't........do we?!!!!!!!!

cilgwyn

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 26, 2011, 04:39:21 AM
Regarding,Mother Goose. Come to think of it,that is a score I DO like.

Mother Goose, I should think so too!!! What about Daphnis? Surely........ By the way, maybe hype isn't the right word to use. With Brian it's Antihype if such a word exists. I can't abide the ignorant, sneering, snobbish dismissal of music that is viewed as "unfashionable" by the critics. The same people that mock Brian are the ones who faun over Birtwistle and his like. George Lloyd has suffered a similar fate and although his music is tonal, old fashioned and uneven it has its moments of inspiration and beauty. Bob Simpson rated Brian and Nielsen. I value his judgment and, indeed, his own superb music. If it's OK for Bob then who am I to disagree.

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 26, 2011, 04:46:48 AM
John is living proof that people who like Brian aren't all misguided cranks who think every single piece of music Brian wrote is a work of shattering,epoch making genius.
Well,we don't........do we?!!!!!!!!

Lovely post but there's one huge error. I am, actually, a misguided crank.

cilgwyn

Daphnis? I'm crumbling now! I've got the RCA living stereo recording of the Munch in a box. MUST get it out.

cilgwyn

My apologies John.
But you still hate Bruckner? Not even the fifth?

karlhenning

Quote from: John Whitmore on August 26, 2011, 04:53:49 AM
Mother Goose, I should think so too!!! What about Daphnis? Surely........

At the risk of utter derailment . . . and how anyone could not adore the Sonata for violin and cello, and the a minor Piano Trio, is beyond me!

All right . . . my penance will be to break out some Brian for a fresh listen, I think I've actually brought some back home from the office . . . .

cilgwyn

Okay! Okay! You've got me.
But do I HAVE to like Bolero?!!!

Dundonnell

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on August 26, 2011, 04:04:49 AM
Oh, one interesting tidbit of information - I don't know WHAT they are recording, but a new Brian CD is being recorded now. John Grimshaw revealed it yesterday, but remained tantalisingly cagey... It could be the second Toccata CD.

If you do actually mean recording then it can't mean the second Toccata cd since that was recorded a year ago.

karlhenning

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 26, 2011, 05:02:51 AM
Okay! Okay! You've got me.
But do I HAVE to like Bolero?!!!

No, of course not.

Though I do, meself.

cilgwyn

I was thinking that. But what would I know?
The 'Wine of Summer'? Pleeeeeease!
The lack of a recording (on cd) of WOS. Now that is mind boggling!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: cilgwyn on August 26, 2011, 05:05:07 AM
I was thinking that. But what would I know?
The 'Wine of Summer'? Pleeeeeease!
Whine of Summer?!?!? :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!