Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thanks, cilgwyn! I hadn't checked there yet, so I didn't know... It will be very interesting to compare the new performance of the 'Kelly' Variations with the two we already know (Hager/Luxembourg, Friend/BBC). Good to hear the Preludio Tragico, too.

It seems I'll be in England again next year, as the HBS intends to do something with the 40th anniversary of Brian's death...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 18, 2011, 05:23:44 AM
According to the Havergal Brian website,recordings from Toccata Vol 2 of Brian Orchestral works,will be broadcast on Radio 3,'in the week of' September 19th. I am sure Johan knows & other HB Society members,but others may not! There is a nice (small) photo of the front cover of the Toccata cd there,too.

If I recall correctly, the deal with the BBC was that the cd could not be released until the BBC had broadcast the performances first.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 18, 2011, 03:13:25 PM
If I recall correctly, the deal with the BBC was that the cd could not be released until the BBC had broadcast the performances first.

If memory serves, you are correct, Colin.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

springrite

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 18, 2011, 03:13:25 PM

That may be true, but don't go directly standing in line for the CD right after the broadcast.  ;)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: springrite on September 18, 2011, 03:28:29 PM
That may be true, but don't go directly standing in line for the CD right after the broadcast.  ;)

Words of wisdom.

cilgwyn

I'm looking forward to everything on the cd,but the Faust excerpt is particularly intriguing. I am given to understand that Faust contains some of Brian's most 'awe inspiring music'! The Prologue is certainly some of the best Brian to reach my ears. And the singing was very good too. If only they could have done the rest! :(

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 19, 2011, 02:31:52 AM
I'm looking forward to everything on the cd,but the Faust excerpt is particularly intriguing. I am given to understand that Faust contains some of Brian's most 'awe inspiring music'! The Prologue is certainly some of the best Brian to reach my ears. And the singing was very good too. If only they could have done the rest! :(

Yes, that certainly was a pity. I think that Prologue is among the best things Brian ever did, too. Whenever I read Goethe's Faust Part 1 (in German), I hear Brian's music - it really fits.

cilgwyn

Still,looking on the bright side & trying to be philosophical,this is one major part of Brians ouput that we might actually get to hear one day (unlike Prometheus Unbound) & it will be the more exciting for that. (Hope I'm proved wrong about Prometheus,though).
Regarding,the 'other' opera (not 'included' on the Toccata) I'm sure I used to have a cassette copy of Agamemnon. I seem to remember the sound quality was very murky. I wonder if this was just my copy?

J.Z. Herrenberg

My cassette copy sounded murky, too. But I have it on good authority (himself) that Colin has found 'Agamemnon' in his world-famous reel-to-reel treasure-trove...

In 10 minutes' time - the 'Kelly' Variations on Radio Three.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just listened to the new performance on BBC Radio Three of the 'Kelly' Variations from The Tigers. I heard new details, which is always nice, and the pacing by Gary Walker was good. This bodes well for the rest of the coming CD.

cilgwyn

I taped it,just for the 'record' & the 'intro',for some reason. (Derham's a bit twee,for my tastes,but thank goodness it wasn't the abominable Titchmarsh!) The performance sounded good to me. No problem there,but then I haven't really had time to absorb it yet. KD said the cd would be out soon?!
(Pettersson's Seventh,next. I don't know his music so I think I will press ye olde record button).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Dundonnell

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 19, 2011, 05:21:07 AM
My cassette copy sounded murky, too. But I have it on good authority (himself) that Colin has found 'Agamemnon' in his world-famous reel-to-reel treasure-trove...

In 10 minutes' time - the 'Kelly' Variations on Radio Three.

Regarding 'Agamemnon'...yes, I have!

It is on Tape No.64: Milla Andrew(soprano), Ann Howard(mezzo-soprano), William Macalpine(tenor), John Dobson(tenor), Michael Rippon(bass), Dennis Wicks(bass), the BBC Northern Singers and the BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra(Sir Richard Armstrong) with an Introduction by Malcolm MacDonald.

Johan....you will be intrigued to learn that the next work on that same tape is 'Sea-Drift' by a certain F. Delius :D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 19, 2011, 06:34:04 AM
Johan....you will be intrigued to learn that the next work on that same tape is 'Sea-Drift' by a certain F. Delius :D

Oh, wipe it.

Just joking.  ;D

And now I'm off for a while!

cilgwyn

Look on the bright side,at least the soloist isn't Bryn Terfel (like my copy)!
(It would be a bit early).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 19, 2011, 07:32:22 AM
Look on the bright side,at least the soloist isn't Bryn Terfel (like my copy)!
(It would be a bit early).

I had John Shirley-Quirk with Sir Charles Groves once ( EMI, on tape, which I can't play anymore...) Excellent performance! And one of Delius's best and most moving works.

Dundonnell

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on September 19, 2011, 07:40:24 AM

I had John Shirley-Quirk with Sir Charles Groves once ( EMI, on tape, which I can't play anymore...) Excellent performance! And one of Delius's best and most moving works.

My taped performance is John Noble with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic under the same Sir Charles Groves.

(Also on that tape- Diepenbrock's Overture "The Birds", Janacek's Suite Op.3 "The Serenade", Ginastera's Harp Concerto, Britten's Spring Symphony, Hoddinott's Overture "Jack Straw" and Ian Parrott's Cello Concerto).

Oh...I had good taste ;D ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 19, 2011, 07:51:15 AM
My taped performance is John Noble with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic under the same Sir Charles Groves.

(Also on that tape- Diepenbrock's Overture "The Birds", Janacek's Suite Op.3 "The Serenade", Ginastera's Harp Concerto, Britten's Spring Symphony, Hoddinott's Overture "Jack Straw" and Ian Parrott's Cello Concerto).

Oh...I had good taste ;D ;D

Oh yes! And - it WAS John Noble in Sea-Drift! John Shirley-Quirk sang 'Cynara' on the same tape.  :o

cilgwyn

I'm definately a John Shirley-Quirk man!
Bryn Terfel blusters too much,for me.
Ian Parrott's Cello Concerto,that would be another rarity.
I've got his book on Cyril Scott's piano music,somewhere.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 19, 2011, 08:22:06 AM
I'm definitely a John Shirley-Quirk man!

Me, too. His recording with Jessye Norman and Haitink/RCO of Mahler's Wunderhorn songs is a perennial favourite of mine.