Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on November 18, 2011, 02:03:33 PM
.....but ANYWAY....surely the Guardian review MUST be accurate??

It is a good, liberal, intellectual newspaper isn't it?   Not like the right-wing claptrap you get in the newspapers I buy ;D ;D

Every newspaper has its fair share of stupid contributions, The Guardian not excepted.  8)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Lethevich

It is a good, liberal, intellectual newspaper isn't it?   Not like the right-wing claptrap you get in the newspapers I buy ;D ;D

I think that nowadays arts coverage in newspapers is a case of keeping up appearances. Most readers will never be able to tell whether the emperor is wearing no clothes :(
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevna Pettersson on November 18, 2011, 02:12:51 PM
I think that nowadays arts coverage in newspapers is a case of keeping up appearances. Most readers will never be able to tell whether the emperor is wearing no clothes :(

True that.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Let's just remember 'The Guardian' granted an entire editorial to the 'Gothic'!
Fair play! ;D

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 18, 2011, 02:14:50 PM
Let's just remember 'The Guardian' granted an entire editorial to the 'Gothic'!
Fair play! ;D

That was before Clements panned it.  ;)

cilgwyn

I'll (frying) pan HIM! >:(

Can't believe I was actually threatening to hit Andrew Clements on the head with a frying pan!
Fair play,the dreaded (dreadful?) Hurwitz has never made me feel like that! Not even that infamous review about Brian admirers having goitre,poxes,hare lips & Benjamin Franklin style hair (like Michael Foot?):

http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=8010

I haven't even got a frying pan. As if to add insult to injury,I'd actually have to buy one to hit him with! :o

J.Z. Herrenberg

John Whitmore

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevna Pettersson on November 18, 2011, 02:12:51 PM
I can't find a review in The Sun.

John Whitmore

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on November 18, 2011, 12:08:30 PM
A 'review' of the second Toccata CD:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/nov/17/brian-music-from-operas-review
This is a disc of orchestral music so the stuff about opera is of no use to people who might be interested in buying the CD. I find Brian very hit and miss but at least I try to explain why this is my view. I don't dismiss him. I just have doubts about some of the music's quality. I have similar doubts about many composers, not just Brian. I don't criticise out of spite, malice or say things without actually listening to the music. It's just what I feel. The reviewer here doesn't attempt to tell the public what the music sounds like, what the general style is, what the recording quality sounds like (close, multi mic, concert hall etc) or give any sort of detail about the standard of orchestral playing. It isn't really a review so it's rather pointless. Why couldn't he at least say that the Kelly variations are great fun, melodic and interesting? That would at least add some worth to the "review".

cilgwyn

Andrew Clements review COULD have been SO MUCH worse! :o

NB: He liked THE music (when he remembered it)!

Albion

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 18, 2011, 02:20:56 PMto hit Andrew Clements on the head with a frying pan [...] I'd actually have to buy one :o

I've set up a charity account so members can gift-aid their contributions - all in a good cause!

;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

cilgwyn

A teflon pan would be kinder.It won't stick! ;D
But will they be able to raise enough money to cure my pox,hare lip and goitre? :o

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 19, 2011, 02:22:33 AM
Andrew Clements review COULD have been SO MUCH worse! :o

NB: He liked THE music (when he remembered it)!

Ah, the (in)famous Hurwitz review. I don't think I fit the profile.

Albion

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 19, 2011, 02:31:31 AMBut will they be able to raise enough money to cure my pox,hare lip and goitre? :o

Sorry, we all have our crosses to bear.

;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

cilgwyn

Brian

I'm a loyal Guardian reader! Can we campaign to get me their music critic job?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Brian on November 19, 2011, 11:07:07 AM

You get my vote!

Lethevich

I think that being unable to adhere to their evident schedule of 1 CD review per 30 mins may be your downfall in this mission ;) Perhaps PaulB could give it a shot...?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Dundonnell

If you get the job I shall promise to switch newspapers and start buying the G********* ;D ;D

Brian

Quote from: Lethe Dmitriyevna Pettersson on November 19, 2011, 11:14:27 AM
I think that being unable to adhere to their evident schedule of 1 CD review per 30 mins may be your downfall in this mission ;) Perhaps PaulB could give it a shot...?

Alas, my current average for MW is about 1 per week. On the other hand, my word count is about 5 times that guy's... heck, the upcoming Hyperion Gothic review is already at 3,038 words, but you just know Clements is going to give it 3 paragraphs and 3 stars. (Another reason I don't write for Hurwitz. ;) )

Colin: that bad, eh!?  ;D ;D