Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Whitmore

Quote from: John of Clydebank on January 09, 2012, 06:01:49 AM
I agree very much John.  Listening needs open ears and space for the music to project its form.  Headphones are ok for when one is outside or something, but nothing can beat a solid state sound system and a well recorded symphony - and an analogue volume control.   :D

Remember Brian is on @ 00.31 later!
I will give the 00.31 a miss if you don't mind. I will, however, buy the Hyperion Gothic next week now that it's quite clearly superior to the (compressed) broadcast having listened to people on here and seen the general reviews. Can't beat a decent analogue recording set at a decent level through my Linns. I still miss my Tannoy Autographs but getting married put and end to those monsters. Brian 10 through Linns is still acceptable though ;D

mahler10th

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 09, 2012, 08:14:15 AM
I will give the 00.31 a miss if you don't mind. I will, however, buy the Hyperion Gothic next week now that it's quite clearly superior to the (compressed) broadcast having listened to people on here and seen the general reviews. Can't beat a decent analogue recording set at a decent level through my Linns. I still miss my Tannoy Autographs but getting married put and end to those monsters. Brian 10 through Linns is still acceptable though ;D

Yes.  I will negate any recording antics later and buy the Hyperion too.  I have been a bit excited and didn't realise the full blown recording was on issue with Hyperion.  I should read the complete posts before jumping in too excitedly.  I will taste it tonight, and then buy the real deal for a proper listening experience.  Thanks John.

Mirror Image

It's pretty cool there's three John's on this forum. We should form a rock trio and call it "J Cubed," but cubed will actually be the to the third power symbol.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 09, 2012, 10:29:04 AM
It's pretty cool there's three John's on this forum. We should form a rock trio and call it "J Cubed," but cubed will actually be the to the third power symbol.

J3 ;D

It gets even better/worse - I am a Joh(a)n, too.

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 09, 2012, 10:29:04 AM
Amazing. It's not a common name is it either, unlike Havergal?

mahler10th

If anyone gets out of line on this forum, one of the "Johns" will have to step in and sort them out.   >:(
Don't mess with the Johns.   >:(

John Whitmore

Quote from: John of Clydebank on January 09, 2012, 01:29:23 PM
If anyone gets out of line on this forum, one of the "Johns" will have to step in and sort them out.   >:(
Absolutely. No Gothic for me. Early start in the morning. By the way, Clydebank, have you bought those crappy schools orchestra thingies? I haven't really forgiven you yet for being so rude about my old orchestra ;D 

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on January 09, 2012, 10:46:45 AM

J3 ;D

It gets even better/worse - I am a Joh(a)n, too.

Oh, yeah...I forgot you're a "John" too! Well now we're a quartet...8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 09, 2012, 12:16:23 PM
Amazing. It's not a common name is it either, unlike Havergal?

No a common name is something like Schnittke and Delius. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: John of Clydebank on January 09, 2012, 01:29:23 PM

That's right! We'll mess somebody up quick! 8)

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 09, 2012, 02:50:01 PM
That's right! We'll mess somebody up quick! 8)

I hear MN Dave, DaveF, David W, DavidRoss, david johnson, and Daverz are challenging you guys to a rumble.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 09, 2012, 03:03:57 PM
I hear MN Dave, DaveF, David W, DavidRoss, david johnson, and Daverz are challenging you guys to a rumble.

Four against six? Bring it on! I love a good ol' Dave bashin' in the morning.

mahler10th

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 09, 2012, 02:03:56 PM
Absolutely. No Gothic for me. Early start in the morning. By the way, Clydebank, have you bought those crappy schools orchestra thingies? I haven't really forgiven you yet for being so rude about my old orchestra ;D

:'( :'( :'(
Right.  This spat between Johns must be dealt with.   :(
I did not refer to them as 'crappy'.  I know I have a kind of 'tabloid' presentation at the best of times, but the words 'crappy' and 'thingie' are not within the range of my usual lexicon.
I did between the lines suggest them as something which, because of their school origin, may not be of the same performance quality we expect from mainstream Orchestras.  By doing so I have highlighted my ignorance in making an assumption before even listening to the works.  For this I sincerely apologise.  I did not mean it to be rude at all.  I accept it was a pre-judgement without evidence, and probably a poor one at that.  I have not yet purchased the albums, but I WILL do so when I do a planned Classical splurge over the next few days.
I offer you a genuine apology for offending you John, and look forward to hearing the acoustic changes between the originals (which you kindly mailed me links to) and the much improved ones.  When I do my Classical splurge and listen to the Brian works, I will report back with no poorly formed assumptions.
And, please, do not call me Clydebank.   :(
May we shake hands on the matter, or would you rather wait until I post my responses to the improved versions?

mahler10th

Quote from: Brian on January 09, 2012, 03:03:57 PM

Some of us Johns have something to sort out between us.  The Davids will have to wait, because as you know, we Johns are gracious under God, and being so, we must come to an agreement as to who gets hammered first.

Dundonnell

Ha ;D

I sit in splendid isolation 8) 8)

Brian

Quote from: Dundonnell on January 09, 2012, 05:29:50 PM
Ha ;D

I sit in splendid isolation 8) 8)

I don't. They named a composer after me. :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Ha! You wish...

I did see a movie, called 'Brianheart', though... Quite good.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: John of Clydebank on January 09, 2012, 03:28:46 PM
:'( :'( :'(
Right.  This spat between Johns must be dealt with.   :(
I did not refer to them as 'crappy'.  I know I have a kind of 'tabloid' presentation at the best of times, but the words 'crappy' and 'thingie' are not within the range of my usual lexicon.
I did between the lines suggest them as something which, because of their school origin, may not be of the same performance quality we expect from mainstream Orchestras.  By doing so I have highlighted my ignorance in making an assumption before even listening to the works.  For this I sincerely apologise.  I did not mean it to be rude at all.  I accept it was a pre-judgement without evidence, and probably a poor one at that.  I have not yet purchased the albums, but I WILL do so when I do a planned Classical splurge over the next few days.
I offer you a genuine apology for offending you John, and look forward to hearing the acoustic changes between the originals (which you kindly mailed me links to) and the much improved ones.  When I do my Classical splurge and listen to the Brian works, I will report back with no poorly formed assumptions.
And, please, do not call me Clydebank.   :(
May we shake hands on the matter, or would you rather wait until I post my responses to the improved versions?
Let me think about it. Yes. Alright. :D

John Whitmore

Quote from: Brian on January 09, 2012, 05:30:32 PM
I don't. They named a composer after me. :)
Who was that, then?

mahler10th

Quote from: John Whitmore on January 09, 2012, 10:47:10 PM
Let me think about it. Yes. Alright. :D

Thank you John.  I will be cautious as to be so trashy without audio evidence again.  You have taught me a fine lesson.   :-[
I will purchase the Havergal Brian works over the weekend, among other things.  'Twill be interesting and fun for me to compare them, even unto wave forms and audio analysis.

Now.   :D
Don't we Johns need to sort out those damn Daves who are challenging us to a 'rumble'?   >:(  I will devise a flag for the Johns before battle commences if ever they decide to start a carry on.   ;D