Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountain Goat

Great to see my favourite obscure composer has such an active thread on here! I've been a bit of a Brian nut ever since hearing the Gothic Symphony at the proms last year.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned somewhere in the 200+ pages of this thread, but the 27th symphony is being performed in Birmingham on Monday - anyone on here going?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Welcome, Mountain Goat! This giant thread is beloved and infamous in equal measure... I know about the performance coming Monday. Unfortunately I live too far away (in the Netherlands), though that didn't deter me from attending the 'Gothic' last year. I hope some Brianites can make it.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

J.Z. Herrenberg

At Unsung Composers Albion, who is active on this forum too, just made a nice list of the Brian recordings their archive now contains:

http://www.unsungcomposers.com/forum/index.php/topic,1169.msg36752.html#msg36752
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Quote from: Mountain Goat on June 21, 2012, 06:23:23 AM
Great to see my favourite obscure composer has such an active thread on here! I've been a bit of a Brian nut ever since hearing the Gothic Symphony at the proms last year.

I don't know if this has already been mentioned somewhere in the 200+ pages of this thread, but the 27th symphony is being performed in Birmingham on Monday - anyone on here going?
'Brian nut!' I love it! ;D
You've go to be a 'nut' to like Brian! :( ;D
Any Schubert Nut's,out there?
You've got to be a nut to like Schubert! :)
And what about a Rott Nut?
Or even a Villa Lobos,nut?
Which could mean you're a bit of a Brazil nut!
I listened to a few Holbrooke cds last week & I confess to liking some of his music.
That could make me a fully fledged Holbrooke nut!
And the cap somehow fits,because,although I'm not inferring anything,he did annoy allot of people & he did behave in a way that some people would describe as nutty!
I also listened to a pile of Faure cds,recently. Does that make me a Faure nut?
Or what about the organist/composer,Norman Cocker (1889-1953). If I enjoy his music,does that mean I'm a cocker nut?!!! :o ;D

Anyway,that's enough nuts,for now. I don't even like them at Christmas! I just ate a banana ten minutes ago. I like eating something I don't need a locksmith & a jemmy to open.
Monkeys are a pretty savvy bunch,when you think about it! :)

cilgwyn

Oh,and (my manners! :o) Welcome to the Havergal Brian thread,Mountain Goat!

cilgwyn

I've managed to get Holbrooke & Bantock at the top. Got to get HB up there,as well! ;D

calyptorhynchus

Hey Guys

Just a thought: we are indebted to the personal recordings off the BBC of various kind people who have shared them, especially for the HB symphonies not yet recorded/not available: 5, 13, 14, 19, 23, 24, 26, 27, 28, 29.

Does the BBC still hold archives of the broadcast concerts that it has commissioned over the years? If so, mightn't there be so way of getting the BBC to produce mp3s of significant broadcasts not otherwise available (like the above mentioned HB symphonies)?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

J.Z. Herrenberg

Your question reminds me of the first time I ever visited Britain. That was because of... Brian. August 1986. There was a concert in London, at the British Music Information Centre, off Oxford Street. Raymond Clarke performed a selection of Brian's piano music. A few days later I met up with an HBS member in Haywards Heath. He showed me the Sussex Downs (the Weald). And he mentioned to me that he knew someone at the BBc, who had told him that it held all the master tapes of the HB broadcasts, but that there were no plans to issue (some of) them commercially...

Albion

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on June 24, 2012, 02:43:23 PMmightn't there be [some] way of getting the BBC to produce mp3s of significant broadcasts not otherwise available

:o ??? :o ??? :o

Based on the current self-evident levels of ignorance, apathy and philistinism, no.

A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Albion on Today at 00:52:38
:o ??? :o ??? :o

Based on the current self-evident levels of ignorance, apathy and philistinism, no.

Grim, but true.

cilgwyn

:( Indeed! The Beeb are notoriously tight fisted with their archives & this includes their tv output,as well (thank goodness for companies,like Network! Although,they're output is mostly ITV!)) The idea of Brian Mp3's is a nice one,but I'd be truly amazed,if this happened. With their schedules as dull as ditch water,these days,the BBC is,sadly,way past it's sell by date,as far as I'm concerned;let alone thinking up innovative ways of opening up their archives.

Come on 'Auntie'....amaze me (us!) ;D

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 24, 2012, 03:54:28 PM
:( Indeed! The Beeb are notoriously tight fisted with their archives & this includes their tv output,as well (thank goodness for companies,like Network! Although,they're output is mostly ITV!)) The idea of Brian Mp3's is a nice one,but I'd be truly amazed,if this happened. With their schedules as dull as ditch water,these days,the BBC is,sadly,way past it's sell by date,as far as I'm concerned;let alone thinking up innovative ways of opening up their archives.
Come on 'Auntie'....amaze me (us!) ;D
Does anybody have the telephone number of the SAS? They are pretty good.

J.Z. Herrenberg

cilgwyn

No sign of the SAS,yet,John? This could be the Spaghetti House siege,all over again! The first thing the Beeb would know about it would be a ransome note. Enough for professional recordings of everything Brian ever wrote! I'm putting on my balaclava,now..........

Wait a minute........I've put it on back to front! :o :(

John Whitmore

Quote from: cilgwyn on June 25, 2012, 11:39:25 AM
No sign of the SAS,yet,John? This could be the Spaghetti House siege,all over again! The first thing the Beeb would know about it would be a ransome note. Enough for professional recordings of everything Brian ever wrote! I'm putting on my balaclava,now..........

Wait a minute........I've put it on back to front! :o :(
They are currently on another top secret but essential mission - destroying the Khachaturian and Bruckner archives. I hope they are successful with minimal casualties. Holmes fiddle concerto now days away. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like.

John Whitmore

J.Z. Herrenberg

Look past the 'analize' on the Payloadz page, ladies and gents.  ;)

calyptorhynchus

Downloading now, the symphony 28 is a bonus. How exciting!
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

John Whitmore

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on June 28, 2012, 12:48:23 AM
Look past the 'analize' on the Payloadz page, ladies and gents.  ;)
Worry not. Your English is better than most of the people that live in England. You should take up writing ;)

J.Z. Herrenberg