Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

10 has become one of my favourite symphonies of all time. I bet John would love it as well!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 15, 2013, 09:11:36 AM
Aha! 11, 15, 17 and 32, eh? Those four are very different from each other. I like them all, but for different reasons. No. 11 is simply beautiful and dreamlike. No. 15 ceremonial (its bombast is not to be taken wholly seriously). No. 17 is the even more mysterious sister of No. 16 - I love it. And No. 32 ends the whole canon in a very classical way, but on Brian's terms...

As for the Gothic...

Happy listening! And report back!

Excellent notes to go along with my listening. Thanks, Johan.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on December 15, 2013, 09:19:03 AM
10 has become one of my favourite symphonies of all time. I bet John would love it as well!

I've heard it before, but don't remember it. :( I've got Brabbins recording of it floating around my collection somewhere.

Mirror Image

To celebrate my reemergence into the sonic-world of Havergal Brian, I have switched to a commemorative avatar. 8)

Mirror Image

Listening to In Memoriam right now (Leaper/RTE National SO). Very beautiful and lyrical.

Mirror Image

It is astonishing that this composer thread (the longest composer thread on GMG?) has reached this many pages. Wow. Truly outstanding. I doubt I'll be able to go through the whole thing, but I'm sure it contains some viable information.

Mirror Image

One thing I notice right away, even after not listening to Brian for quite some time, is how his music seems to flow quite organically. Also, I've read he paid special attention to the structure of his music --- shaping, molding it into something cohesive. This was also quite apparent from even the very first measures of In Memoriam.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Formally, Brian is his own man. You have to learn his language. Once you understand, you can enjoy (even more). And you never get to the bottom of his special form of magic...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Mirror Image

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 15, 2013, 10:03:51 AM
Formally, Brian is his own man. You have to learn his language. Once you understand, you can enjoy (even more). And you never get to the bottom of his special form of magic...

I'll have no problem understanding the musical language. I mean it's pretty much all there in the Gothic. If a person doesn't like the Gothic, then, in my own view, they won't care much for anything that came after. I realize that each symphony has it's own story, but the language of Brian is a unique one and one that is very apparent in his early music.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 15, 2013, 09:53:45 AM
It is astonishing that this composer thread (the longest composer thread on GMG?) has reached this many pages. Wow. Truly outstanding. I doubt I'll be able to go through the whole thing, but I'm sure it contains some viable information.

Second longest, actually. But still an impressive accomplishment that shows the dedication of the fans of his music. Plenty of others out there are merely dabbled at, but Brian is in it for the long run, and more power to him.   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 15, 2013, 10:08:38 AM
Second longest, actually. But still an impressive accomplishment that shows the dedication of the fans of his music. Plenty of others out there are merely dabbled at, but Brian is in it for the long run, and more power to him.   :)

8)

+1 :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Haydn and Brian rule the roost - HB.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

springrite

Love the Brian avatar!

The Brian photo with a pipe reminded me of this: Two days ago at the photo shoot for Die Zeit magazine, they asked if I had a pipe so they could take a photo with me and a pipe! But I didn't have it so a cigar was used. Hehee... 

J.Z. Herrenberg

You'll feature in Die Zeit? Which issue?

springrite

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on December 15, 2013, 10:29:46 AM
You'll feature in Die Zeit? Which issue?
Was to be Jan 7. But now may be rescheduled for April. I will let you guys know. I need a translation as well since my German is only sufficient for reading CD liner notes!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on December 15, 2013, 10:27:22 AM
Love the Brian avatar!

The Brian photo with a pipe reminded me of this: Two days ago at the photo shoot for Die Zeit magazine, they asked if I had a pipe so they could take a photo with me and a pipe! But I didn't have it so a cigar was used. Hehee...

Cool, Paul! 8)

Mirror Image

Went ahead and bought that Heritage 2-CD set for $24 via Presto Classical. Audio samples sounded fantastic.

Mirror Image

What does everyone make of this film?

http://www.youtube.com/v/3UtPTwHggO0

Has anyone seen the full film or is it even available yet? I'd love to see it.

Mirror Image

I wish Bridcut and the BBC would make a documentary film about Brian like they did RVW, Delius, and more recently Britten. That would be incredible!