Havergal Brian.

Started by Harry, June 09, 2007, 04:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Praise the Lord for roasting sinners!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Albion

Quote from: J. Z. Herrenberg on May 05, 2015, 04:01:52 AM
Praise the Lord for roasting sinners!

Hallelujah, brothers! The lame shall leap, the coffin-dodgers shall cast aside their Zimmer frames and the ears of the deaf shall be opened even unto the glorious welter of fat orchestral noise. For it came to pass in those days that the Lord looked kindly upon the Brianites and provided them with many fine recordings to worship.
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

John Whitmore

Quote from: Albion on May 05, 2015, 08:16:30 AM
Hallelujah, brothers! The lame shall leap, the coffin-dodgers shall cast aside their Zimmer frames and the ears of the deaf shall be opened even unto the glorious welter of fat orchestral noise. For it came to pass in those days that the Lord looked kindly upon the Brianites and provided them with many fine recordings to worship.
Brian isn't the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy.

Augustus

Quote from: John Whitmore on May 05, 2015, 03:59:16 AM
I've changed my mind. It's rubbish.

The Pope will grant absolution.  Stanley, that is.

cilgwyn

Hallelujah! :)

But lo,the Holbrookians were downcast because Dutton had nothing in the r**** pipeline,and Cpo's second volume of his orchestral works was not forthcoming! And so there was much gnashing of teeth and beating of chests amongst the Holbrookians...... .and the outlook was not good!! :( :(

cilgwyn

And yet more gnashing of teeth amongst the Holbrookeans,because I left the 'e' out at the end of Holbrooke!! :o :(  (And I think it looks better without the 'i'!)

cilgwyn

Albion

And lo! the Lord looked down upon the prospect of a Dutton 2nd and 14th and saw that it was good. He smiteth the unbelieving Andrew Clements with sore boils even unto the third and fourth generation: the Lord thy God is a curmudgeonly God and sheweth favour to those who spitteth in the face of the ignorant critic. Esau is an hairy man and Moab's washpot, but we won't hold that against him.

;)
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

J.Z. Herrenberg

That passage from 2 Havergal 8:5-9 never fails to move me.

Albion

Aye, lad, there's rarely a dry leg in the pew.

???

cilgwyn

Quote from: John Whitmore on May 04, 2015, 08:01:05 AM
1) Much better than the earlier Unicorn CD with its dessicated top end.
2) It was Flash NOT Ajax. Please check your facts before posting.  :D
3) Malcolm's bit is exemplary anyway. I'm glad I had some dealings with the legend before he died.
If you think a veil has been lifted on the Unicorn to make it sparkle you better get some sunglasses on for the CBS disc.
I'm listening to the second cd in the set,now. These recordings always sounded a bit dry and thin,in terms of the recording quality. The sound feels as if it has opened up now. It has a warmth to it now and a nice bass response. I have got as far as Psalm 23 (no connection with the previous posts,I might add! ;D) I must admit I haven't bothered with this piece before,but it is enjoyable enough here! I will play the Naxos cd afterwards as a comparison;but I have a feeling that the LSSO performance is still King!! Even to my musically untutored ears it seems to pack more of a punch,as they say!

cilgwyn

This isn't a biblical gag.....I'm leaving those to Albion,now (Holbrookeans 0 Brianites 10) but Brian's Psalm 23 is a nice piece,really! I enoyed it! :)

I didn't know Esau was a hairy man?!! ??? :o ;D

Augustus

Can anyone tell me where did this news about a Dutton 2 & 14 come from?  I can't find anything official about it.  Does someone have inside information from Dutton?

vandermolen

'They shall sow the wind and reap the wind-machine'

8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J.Z. Herrenberg

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Quote from: Augustus on May 05, 2015, 11:06:13 AM
Can anyone tell me where did this news about a Dutton 2 & 14 come from?  I can't find anything official about it.  Does someone have inside information from Dutton?
I wouldn't care to comment on that one,except to say that I spotted the news via a post at the Art Music Forum,and someone there obviously knew (and from reading his posts) he obviously has some kind of connection with Dutton! And some members of this forum are with the HBS.....so.....!! Anyway........I'm looking forward to this one. My favourite Brian symphony after No 3!

And back to cd 1 of the Heritage set. And (to go with the flow) lo there was the sound of a great LSSO wind machine ........but the Naxos No 22,first! :)

cilgwyn

Oh to be an insider!! ::) :(

cilgwyn

Quote from: Augustus on May 05, 2015, 11:06:13 AM
If you click on "New Recordings" at the Art Music Forum, it's mentioned in a post on page 1 of the "Duttons for May/June thread.