Author Topic: Headphones  (Read 146473 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: Headphones
« Reply #920 on: December 07, 2019, 06:39:25 AM »
I decided to skip the Rupert Neve Designs unit for now and instead went for both new Schiit Magnis.  Schiit is offering a 30 day money back offer for buyers of both so they can keep the one they like better and ship the other back with no restocking fee.  I'll keep both.  That'll show 'em!  I'm gonna do a shootout of the three different Magni 3s to see what, if anything, the differences are, and then I may give away the two I like least.  My son has already volunteered to take one, the selfless fellow.  If all models sound identical, I'll keep the Heresy model since it looks cooler.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #921 on: December 15, 2019, 01:48:11 PM »
Did some comparisons of the two new Magni models.  The Heresy is much better than the Magni 3+, which in turn is better than the Magni 3.  The Heresy is so clean and extended that it is hard to believe that it's only a hundred bucks.  The soundstage is basically flat, but the precision is startling.  It's nearly as good as the Schiit Jotunheim.  The TI (Burr-Brown) op amps are simply magnificent little devices.

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #922 on: December 16, 2019, 12:12:47 AM »
Did some comparisons of the two new Magni models.  The Heresy is much better than the Magni 3+, which in turn is better than the Magni 3.  The Heresy is so clean and extended that it is hard to believe that it's only a hundred bucks.  The soundstage is basically flat, but the precision is startling.  It's nearly as good as the Schiit Jotunheim.  The TI (Burr-Brown) op amps are simply magnificent little devices.

What DAC are you pairing that with
Cheers

Holden

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #923 on: December 16, 2019, 12:59:13 AM »
What amp is the Topping paired with?

Sorry, missed your question.  It's a Schiit Magni 3 (not one of the newer models mentioned by Todd), and the 'phones are Senn HD650s.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #924 on: December 21, 2019, 07:13:25 AM »
What DAC are you pairing that with

For the comparisons, I used a Schiit Yggdrasil.  The Heresy is now in its permanent home in the bedroom system with a Schiit Bifrost Multibit.  It's a better pairing, less revealing, though even so, it is deafeningly obvious through this set up when watching movies and TV when overdubbing is used - it's clear when the voices are in different acoustic spaces than what one sees, for instance - and how heavy-handed some Foley artists are.  Music reproduction is outstanding. 

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...mist floating above the water...
« Reply #925 on: January 08, 2020, 05:36:42 PM »
I had acquired a Schiit Heresy last week and was rather unimpressed with the sound quality, so I sent that headphone amplifier back for a refund and bought this one, which I received today:

FiiO K5 Pro -

This headphone amplifier sounds amazing. Incredibly clear, superb soundstage, no noise, and all of the extra ‘bells and whistles’ made it a worthwhile purchase.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 10:17:06 PM by Mirror Image »
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #926 on: January 09, 2020, 05:41:05 AM »
Surprised you didn't like the Heresy, MI, it got really good measurements at ASR. 

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-magni-3-and-heresy-headphone-amp-reviews.10311/

My Topping D10 DAC was making popping noises, particularly during playback of hi-res files.  I think this might be related to the USB connection, which also supplies power, being loose and flaky.  Power being delivered by the Raspberry Pi USB bus might also be an issue. 

So I decided to to replace my D10  + Magni 3 stack with a single device, a ... Topping D3xpro DAC/headphone amp. Yeah, a real quality control crap shoot, but I could always send it back if it's another flaky Topping device.   This version also has the latest bluetooth codec (LDAC).  The only thing I don't like is the 3.5 mm headphone jack.

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #927 on: January 09, 2020, 06:28:20 AM »
My daughter was delighted with the Sennheiser noise-reducing headphones that I gave her for Christmas. Thanks to all here who gave advice.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...mist floating above the water...
« Reply #928 on: January 09, 2020, 07:30:45 AM »
Surprised you didn't like the Heresy, MI, it got really good measurements at ASR. 

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-magni-3-and-heresy-headphone-amp-reviews.10311/

Well, I was rather surprised I didn’t like it, but it just didn’t excite my ears plus it doesn’t have the digital ins like the FiiO has, which I may need at some point. Basically, I was looking for an upgrade to my SMSL sAp II and I finally found one I’d like to keep. :)
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #929 on: March 24, 2020, 12:00:17 AM »
Advice please.
My wife is a sign-language interpreter and although, during the current corona virus crisis she counts as a key worker as her work is sometimes in hospitals, police stations, courts etc, she is now, for obvious reasons, increasingly working from home via video link. She needs a pair of wireless, noise reducing headphones. These are for speech and not for music. Any advice welcome.
 :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).