Author Topic: Bach Six Partitas  (Read 45014 times)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Bach Six Partitas
« Reply #200 on: September 01, 2020, 07:42:20 PM »
What's so terribly wrong with Pascal Dubreuil?

And what’s so terribly wrong with Leonhardt’s first recording? Even more intense than Dubreuil and a different way of phrasing, less cantabile, which I prefer.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 07:44:56 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline bioluminescentsquid

« Reply #201 on: September 01, 2020, 11:10:01 PM »
And what’s so terribly wrong with Leonhardt’s first recording? Even more intense than Dubreuil and a different way of phrasing, less cantabile, which I prefer.

Did I ever talk bad about Leonhardt? I don't think it was me.

His DHM recordings are fascinating in general, he plays in a very strict manner, not unlike his contemporary "sewing machine Baroque" musicians. But then, he articulates and adds almost imperceptible agogics just enough to put this sewing machine in the uncanny valley. Very difficult recordings, but also very rewarding.

I'm more familiar with his later Virgin partitas, which are also great. His playing has freed up considerably by then.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #202 on: September 01, 2020, 11:59:55 PM »

I'm more familiar with his later Virgin partitas, which are also great. His playing has freed up considerably by then.

I’m not sure what the difference between the two sets are in those terms, I find that the first has a sort of visionary passion which is special. But the second is also exceptional. And Dubreuil is also exceptional!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 12:03:09 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Dry Brett Kavanaugh

• Currently Listening to:
    Eric Dolphy, Persian music, Sorabji, Scriabin, Sex Pistols
« Reply #203 on: September 02, 2020, 01:15:08 PM »
Here I post my preferences in Partitas. These preferences are rather old (~2012-14) but I think they are worth to publish here. From that time I've discovered many of new interpretations (some of them are new only for me and recorded before that noted timemark). But they are not so carefully and inspectfully listened as those in this good old list. Later I'll try to post some of new findings (of them are real beauties as I seen at first quick and partial listening).

Lists are ordered (top is more suitable for me).

Harpsichord

Masaaki Suzuki (2001)
Edward Parmentier (1991)
Nicholas Parle (2002)
Trevor Pinnock (1998-99)
Scott Ross (1988)
Christophe Rousset (1992)
Kenneth Gilbert (1984-85)
Pascal Dubreuil (2007)

Piano

Gianluca Luisi (2005-07)
Andras Schiff (1983)
Craig Sheppard (2005)
Sergey Schepkin (1995)
Angela Hewitt (1996-97)
Wolfgang Rubsam (1992)
Ramin Bahrami (2005)
Andras Schiff (2007)
Vladimir Ashkenazy (2009)
Irma Issakadze (2010)
Zhu Xiao-Mei (1999)

//

I like the Schepkin disc too though I am not sure that’s the way Bach is “supposed” to be played. Anyway, it’s piano.
While I like both the two recordings of Pinnock, somehow I prefer the old recording and cover art.

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #204 on: September 02, 2020, 02:00:57 PM »
After doing a bit of A/B contrast stuff I think I've decided on Leonhardt/Virgin over Pinnock/Hänssler. Both sound great but Leonhardt is a bit more to my taste. I don't have any Bach Partitas on harpsichord.

« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2020, 06:41:04 AM »
Piotr Anderszweski’s recordings are unique and interesting.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #206 on: September 04, 2020, 08:53:42 AM »
I have not re-listened to the live c minor but when I listened to Anderszewski's disc with 1,3,6 I was rather disappointed, in any case I didn't like it very much and certainly far less than I had remembered. I can still agree with "unique and (at least intermittently) interesting". ;)
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

« Reply #207 on: September 04, 2020, 05:57:59 PM »
I have not re-listened to the live c minor but when I listened to Anderszewski's disc with 1,3,6 I was rather disappointed, in any case I didn't like it very much and certainly far less than I had remembered. I can still agree with "unique and (at least intermittently) interesting". ;)

It is a different approach and different atmosphere.
I don’t know if it is a good, or successful, performance.
Anyway it’s an interesting recording.

« Reply #208 on: September 04, 2020, 11:14:10 PM »
I'm trying to muster up all my love for this but I can't. Absolutely stunning instrument, the 1740 3-manual Hass harpsichord, but the playing is so extremely soulless and boring. I know Puyana is an "old master" (said ironically) but even his Pleyel monsterchord recordings are much better than this. So can someone tell me something to redeem this in my mind? I take no as an answer.

I guess this is a cautionary tale about harpsichord playing. There is no hiding, even (or especially) on a great old harpsichord like this one.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2020, 11:42:43 PM »

When I heard him in concert it was clear that this artist’s core skill is in producing sounds from a modern piano. The colours and the contrast of registers, the weight of the sounds, especially the strong and sweet bass notes that he can coax out of a Steinway, are distinctive and impressive. His art is somehow about the physicality of piano sound.

All that is pretty well lost on that recording of Bach partitas, it may never have been there. So we’re left with something unique and intermittently interesting, as you say.

He may be a one trick pony - the trick being The Diabelli Variations. The rest - Szymanowsky, Mozart, Bach and maybe stuff I’m forgetting  - are just at best unique and intermittently interesting.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 11:45:28 PM by Mandryka »

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #210 on: September 06, 2020, 02:54:33 AM »
I'm trying to muster up all my love for this but I can't. Absolutely stunning instrument, the 1740 3-manual Hass harpsichord, but the playing is so extremely soulless and boring. I know Puyana is an "old master" (said ironically) but even his Pleyel monsterchord recordings are much better than this. So can someone tell me something to redeem this in my mind? I take no as an answer.

I guess this is a cautionary tale about harpsichord playing. There is no hiding, even (or especially) on a great old harpsichord like this one.

I'm afraid that, for all the preciousness about the product and the greatness (alleged or actual) of the instrument, this never quite did the trick for me, either...

Offline Selig

« Reply #211 on: December 26, 2020, 05:44:27 PM »
Do have a listen to Siegbert Rampe's partitas if you've got time, they're in spotify,  I love them.

This is why I keep skimming these threads for recommendations. What a gem! And he never recorded any other of Bach's solo keyboard works?!

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #212 on: February 20, 2021, 05:26:57 PM »
Listening today: Egarr: much drama and depth. Schepkin: another pianist who doesn’t care about rubato.

« Reply #213 on: February 28, 2021, 12:24:43 PM »

Cross posted from new releases, I listened to the 2nd partita and the sarabande of the 6th. It's nice playing but a bit uniform - nothing really to write home about. Great sound from the German-style harpsichord.

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2021, 06:56:52 AM »

Cross posted from new releases, I listened to the 2nd partita and the sarabande of the 6th. It's nice playing but a bit uniform - nothing really to write home about. Great sound from the German-style harpsichord.

Thanks for the comments. I think I shall pass it by, already owning many recordings of the partitas.
As soon as a word has left the lips, not even the fastest horse can catch up with it.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2021, 09:42:57 AM »
I’ve said this before, but Tilney’s account here is top of the heap. This dude is 87 year’s old!