Missing Members

Started by Cato, October 24, 2011, 07:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato (+ 1 Hidden) and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 04, 2022, 08:29:38 PM
This will be my final post on GMG and I just want to thank everyone here who has showed me kindness and, most of all, understanding. I deleted my Facebook a day or so ago, but I won't delete my account here.

To be even more direct, I'm not going to be on a forum when a certain member here who I looked up to and I thought was a friend is a regular contributing member here. Why not just put this member on ignore? Well, because the ignore function doesn't even do what it's supposed to do. Anyway, it's just easy to leave and let him have his way, because there's nothing I can say or do that will change such immaturity. Life's too short for that shit.

I WILL NOT BE BACK AND I WILL NOT ANSWER ANY MORE POSTS HERE OR PRIVATELY. I'll simply post on another forum where I'm actually respected and not treated as some kind of ingrate because I have a different political view.

Take care everyone!

Very sad to read this, John. It's a shame that someone was so disrespectful towards you, but I do hope you'll reconsider coming back to GMG. You have far more friends than enemies here. :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

aligreto

Quote from: kyjo on August 07, 2022, 07:41:01 PM
Thank you very much, aligreto! :)

How very nice of you to drop by and say hello  :)

ritter

Quote from: kyjo on August 07, 2022, 07:41:32 PM
I am now pursuing my MM in Cello Performance at Indiana University Bloomington. :)
Great!

My son is at the same school, finishing his Ph. D. in law(he should be defending his dissertation next spring). I visited some years ago, and was very impressed by the Bloomington campus.

My son  being a music lover like his dad, he feels privileged to be able to attend performances (particularly operas) presented by the Music School, which by any standard is among the most prestigious in the world.

Best wishes!

bhodges

I am now pursuing my MM in Cello Performance at Indiana University Bloomington. :)

Quote from: ritter on August 08, 2022, 04:36:00 AM
Great!

My son is at the same school, finishing his Ph. D. in law(he should be defending his dissertation next spring). I visited some years ago, and was very impressed by the Bloomington famous.

my son  being a music lover like his dad, he feels privileged to be able to attend performances (particularly operas) presented by the Music School, which by any standard is among the most prestigious in the world.

Best wishes!

And another Indiana Bloomington connection: my brother-in-law went there to study voice, and had a fairly successful operatic career. He met my sister when they were both singing at the Houston Grand Opera. From his reports, and these two here, and many others -- yes, it's an excellent music school.

--Bruce

André

Quote from: aligreto on August 07, 2022, 01:41:11 AM
I have not been posting on GMG for a few days so I am coming late to this situation. This is most regrettable.

It would seem that we have yet another casualty on our music thread as a result of "political differences" which makes this loss all the more lamentable.

It is not clear from John's post whether the "ignore" issue is on Facebook or on GMG.

If it is on GMG, there have been issues in the past with the "ignore" function here on GMG. However, this issue has recently been resolved and one can now "ignore" any member if they so wish. If John feels that the issue is here on GMG I would encourage him to contact our moderators to discuss the grievance. I can vouch that he will receive a speedy and fair response to any grievance that he might have. In my experience the moderator to be approached must be open to the grievance and specifics of that grievance must be cited, to be fair, along with a possible solution. The discussion is certainly worth entering into, John.

One should never leave this or any other forum for fear of being bullied.

There may, of course, be two sides to this story. We do not know the facts of the case here, to be fair. However, I strongly believe that bullies should be called out for what they are. There should be a zero tolerance for these faceless cowards who hide behind internet anonymity. As others have alluded to above, John [Mirror Image] is too valuable an asset to this forum to lose because of [perceived] bullying.

Perhaps John will take a Time Out, Reflect and Return in due course. I also certainly hope that he will.

Same here.

And amen to all of what you wrote.

Pohjolas Daughter

Excellent!  :)  Good luck with that!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

kyjo

Quote from: ritter on August 08, 2022, 04:36:00 AM
Great!

My son is at the same school, finishing his Ph. D. in law(he should be defending his dissertation next spring). I visited some years ago, and was very impressed by the Bloomington campus.

My son  being a music lover like his dad, he feels privileged to be able to attend performances (particularly operas) presented by the Music School, which by any standard is among the most prestigious in the world.

Best wishes!

What a coincidence, Rafael! It is a small world after all. :D The IU campus is beautiful indeed, and I'm really looking forward to studying there!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Brewski on August 08, 2022, 04:52:16 AM
And another Indiana Bloomington connection: my brother-in-law went there to study voice, and had a fairly successful operatic career. He met my sister when they were both singing at the Houston Grand Opera. From his reports, and these two here, and many others -- yes, it's an excellent music school.

--Bruce

Thanks for sharing, Bruce! I'm honored to be attending a school with so many distinguished alumni. :)

Brian

I didn't attend IU, but I was born and raised in Columbus, 30 miles to the east, where the semi-professional Columbus Philharmonic is frequently made up of IU students. That was my first introduction to orchestral music of any kind, and its then-conductor, David Bowden, won national awards for adventurous programming. For many years my mom was on the orchestra's board, and (it being a small outfit) she used to put snacks in the dressing-rooms for guest artists. André Watts married a Columbus girl and made an annual appearance with the orchestra while visiting family. I hope they're still around and hope you get to play for them. To prepare, you can listen to their Naxos appearance:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: kyjo on August 08, 2022, 09:11:01 AM
Thanks for sharing, Bruce! I'm honored to be attending a school with so many distinguished alumni. :)
Kyjo,

I'd love to know if you encounter any professors who were there at the time and knew Janos Starker and had any stories/views/news which they would care to share with you.  He's a favorite cellist of mine.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Brian

Whoa, the Pacifica Quartet are faculty there? You better join a chamber group!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brewski on August 08, 2022, 04:52:16 AM

--Bruce

My son (North Carolina born but from a family of Big Ten graduates, i.e. the U of Michigan) went to IU in the early 1990s - we also love the beauty of the Bloomington campus and the 'hilly' southern Indiana topography (and the movie below which I own as a HD streamer from Amazon) - his major was in telecommunications w/ a minor in computer science - met his Indiana wife there (graduated the same year) and now live in Indianapolis (have not done in a visit in nearly 3 years w/ COVID isolation and not wanting to take a plane).  Good luck kyjo w/ your musical degree.  Dave :)

bhodges

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 08, 2022, 10:28:14 AM
My son (North Carolina born but from a family of Big Ten graduates, i.e. the U of Michigan) went to IU in the early 1990s - we also love the beauty of the Bloomington campus and the 'hilly' southern Indiana topography (and the movie below which I own as a HD streamer from Amazon) - his major was in telecommunications w/ a minor in computer science - met his Indiana wife there (graduated the same year) and now live in Indianapolis (have not done in a visit in nearly 3 years w/ COVID isolation and not wanting to take a plane).  Good luck kyjo w/ your musical degree.  Dave :)

Thanks for that! Despite having been in Indiana, I have never been to Bloomington. And appreciate the nod to Breaking Away, which I had not thought about in many years. PS, sorry to hear of your (understandable) COVID isolation, but hope that changes soon. It's been a long spell for many. Even now, I'm back to a "no NYC travel" mode, with too many cases in the last few months.

--Bruce

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brewski on August 08, 2022, 01:11:29 PM
Thanks for that! Despite having been in Indiana, I have never been to Bloomington. And appreciate the nod to Breaking Away, which I had not thought about in many years. PS, sorry to hear of your (understandable) COVID isolation, but hope that changes soon. It's been a long spell for many. Even now, I'm back to a "no NYC travel" mode, with too many cases in the last few months.

--Bruce

Hi Bruce - in June my son rented a house in Knoxville, TN - we met there (little longer drive for him) - house was great (put up some pics in one of the threads) - we ordered delivery food for 4 nights which was well done (plenty of options and quite good meals).  We'll likely plan a similar meeting in the fall somewhere in-between.  Stay safe - Dave :)

bhodges

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 08, 2022, 01:36:44 PM
Hi Bruce - in June my son rented a house in Knoxville, TN - we met there (little longer drive for him) - house was great (put up some pics in one of the threads) - we ordered delivery food for 4 nights which was well done (plenty of options and quite good meals).  We'll likely plan a similar meeting in the fall somewhere in-between.  Stay safe - Dave :)

Oh good, glad to hear on all fronts.  :)

--Bruce

dhibbard

Quote from: Brewski on August 08, 2022, 01:11:29 PM

--Bruce

Ah yes.... I am a grad of IU also.... with an Accounting/Business degree and Music Minor...   fond memories of Foster quad and Johnston Dorm in the GRC. 
1980s grad.... Bloomington and the hills around it are wonderful!!

The new erato

Bloomers all over the place it seems.

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on August 08, 2022, 09:49:13 AM
I didn't attend IU, but I was born and raised in Columbus, 30 miles to the east, where the semi-professional Columbus Philharmonic is frequently made up of IU students. That was my first introduction to orchestral music of any kind, and its then-conductor, David Bowden, won national awards for adventurous programming. For many years my mom was on the orchestra's board, and (it being a small outfit) she used to put snacks in the dressing-rooms for guest artists. André Watts married a Columbus girl and made an annual appearance with the orchestra while visiting family. I hope they're still around and hope you get to play for them. To prepare, you can listen to their Naxos appearance:

That's really interesting, Brian! I'll see if the Columbus (IN) Philharmonic is holding any auditions soon. ;)

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on August 08, 2022, 10:26:04 AM
Whoa, the Pacifica Quartet are faculty there? You better join a chamber group!

Yep, that was definitely a huge draw for me! I'll be studying with the Pacifica's cellist, Brandon Vamos, and have a string quartet formed for the fall semester.

Karl Henning

Quote from: kyjo on August 09, 2022, 12:19:56 PM
Yep, that was definitely a huge draw for me! I'll be studying with the Pacifica's cellist, Brandon Vamos, and have a string quartet formed for the fall semester.

Fabulous!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot