Frasier - One Of The Greatest Sitcoms Of All-Time?

Started by Mirror Image, February 26, 2012, 07:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 29, 2012, 08:09:25 AM
Yes, that's a fantastic episode. I know  this was an early episode. Was this on the second season? I can't quite remember.

Yes, season 2. Here is a complete episode guide: http://frasierzone.tripod.com/s1.html

Lethevich

I've been watching it a bit recently because of this thread. It is really good, but does sometimes overuse the following (and varients of):

X knew what Y was going to confront Z with something
Y didn't changed their mind and exits
X comes in and Z gives the impression Y told them the thing, X unintentionally reveals the unsaid thing relieved that it now appears to be out in the open

More than once the exchange ends in "...he didn't say a word to you did he?" or a close varient of.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Lethevich on March 27, 2012, 05:43:37 PM
I've been watching it a bit recently because of this thread. It is really good, but does sometimes overuse the following (and varients of):

X comes in and Z gives the impression Y told them the thing, X unintentionally reveals the unsaid thing relieved that it now appears to be out in the open

More than once the exchange ends in "...he didn't say a word to you did he?" or a close varient of.

It also suffers from being really white and oft times unrelatable.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Philoctetes on March 27, 2012, 05:46:50 PM

I wonder if someone has ever accused Sanford & Son of being really black or whatever the hell this means?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethevich on March 27, 2012, 05:43:37 PM

I have found that in the later seasons the show did suffer from less than good writing. I felt the first couple of seasons (maybe 1-5) were really what made me love the show. I kind of lost interest in it when Daphne and Niles got together because so much of that show's edge was lost IMHO.

Lethevich

Quote from: Philoctetes on March 27, 2012, 05:46:50 PM

Hehe, I've haven't had problems with that so far. I may be terminally poor and kinda-asian, but I have enough subtle snobby inclinations and terminal neuroses to cringe at the characters from a point of understanding rather than bemusement.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Lethevich on March 27, 2012, 06:31:03 PM
Hehe, I've haven't had problems with that so far. I may be terminally poor and kinda-asian, but I have enough subtle snobby inclinations and terminal neuroses to cringe at the characters from a point of understanding rather than bemusement.

I assume I may be singular in that reaction. I also find the show mostly unfunny, except for Niles. He took being white to a whole new level.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Philoctetes on March 27, 2012, 06:33:27 PM
I assume I may be singular in that reaction. I also find the show mostly unfunny, except for Niles. He took being white to a whole new level.

::)

I wonder if people found that Fred Sanford took being black to whole new level?

Philoctetes

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 27, 2012, 06:36:25 PM
I wonder if people found that Fred Sanford took being black to whole new level?

He's not even close to being the blackest guy on television. He was moderately black. But that show was actually funny, so it does have that advantage.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Philoctetes on March 27, 2012, 06:43:06 PM
He's not even close to being the blackest guy on television. He was moderately black. But that show was actually funny, so it does have that advantage.

Something being funny is purely subjective. If you don't like Frasier then that's fine, but there are plenty of people who do like the show as indicated by this thread and I think it's very funny.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 27, 2012, 06:59:22 PM
Something being funny is purely subjective. If you don't like Frasier then that's fine, but there are plenty of people who do like the show as indicated by this thread and I think it's very funny.

Hence why I indicated why I was singular.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Philoctetes on March 27, 2012, 07:00:46 PM
Hence why I indicated why I was singular.

You didn't indicate it to me, Philo, so that why I made that comment to you.

Philoctetes

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 27, 2012, 07:05:57 PM
You didn't indicate it to me, Philo, so that why I made that comment to you.

It wasn't indicated to anyone in particular. It was indicated to anyone who happened to actually read my post.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Philoctetes on March 27, 2012, 07:07:28 PM
It wasn't indicated to anyone in particular. It was indicated to anyone who happened to actually read my post.

Well, your indication failed to make over my way. Anyway...moving on...::)

One of my favorite episodes of Frasier occurs in the 5th season. The episode is titled The Ski Lodge and here is a breakdown of the storyline:

Roz wins a free trip to a ski lodge, including lessons from a skiing instructor, but is talked into trading them to Frasier in return for a big screen TV. So Frasier decides to take the whole family to the ski lodge, including Daphne and her friend Annie, a swimsuit model. There they meet Guy (played by James Patrick Stuart), a gay ski instructor, who likes Niles and thinks he is gay too. This is confirmed by misinformation given by Martin who has hearing difficulty due to a blocked ear. Throughout the episode confusion arises as Frasier is lusting after Annie, who desires Niles. Niles, however, attempts throughout the episode to confess his feelings for Daphne, while Daphne attempts to pick up Guy, who thinks that Daphne and Annie are lesbians. Throughout the night, various people visit each other's rooms or discover someone in their bed. Once the truth is revealed, Frasier realized that no one is lusting after him.

eyeresist

Quote from: Philoctetes on March 27, 2012, 06:43:06 PMHe's not even close to being the blackest guy on television. He was moderately black. But that show was actually funny, so it does have that advantage.

"See, black guys drive like this: a-doom... pah! a-doom-a-doom pah! But white guys, they drive like this: de-doo-doo-doo-doo de-doo-doo-doo..."
"It's true! We are so lame!"

Philoctetes

Quote from: eyeresist on March 27, 2012, 11:44:19 PM
"See, black guys drive like this: a-doom... pah! a-doom-a-doom pah! But white guys, they drive like this: de-doo-doo-doo-doo de-doo-doo-doo..."
"It's true! We are so lame!"

Whites are pretty lame.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Soapy Molloy on March 28, 2012, 03:05:18 AM
In fact it was watching that episode when it was repeated in the UK recently that made me see the connection to Feydeau.  That plot is pure French farce, characters running in and out of (the wrong) bedrooms the whole time.   And superbly done.  Love it. ;D

Yeah, it's fantastic.

Bulldog

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 27, 2012, 07:11:38 PM
Well, your indication failed to make over my way. Anyway...moving on...::)

One of my favorite episodes of Frasier occurs in the 5th season. The episode is titled The Ski Lodge and here is a breakdown of the storyline:

Roz wins a free trip to a ski lodge, including lessons from a skiing instructor, but is talked into trading them to Frasier in return for a big screen TV. So Frasier decides to take the whole family to the ski lodge, including Daphne and her friend Annie, a swimsuit model. There they meet Guy (played by James Patrick Stuart), a gay ski instructor, who likes Niles and thinks he is gay too. This is confirmed by misinformation given by Martin who has hearing difficulty due to a blocked ear. Throughout the episode confusion arises as Frasier is lusting after Annie, who desires Niles. Niles, however, attempts throughout the episode to confess his feelings for Daphne, while Daphne attempts to pick up Guy, who thinks that Daphne and Annie are lesbians. Throughout the night, various people visit each other's rooms or discover someone in their bed. Once the truth is revealed, Frasier realized that no one is lusting after him.

That was one of my least favorite episodes - way too contrived.