Poll: Haydn String Quartets

Started by chasmaniac, April 04, 2012, 02:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What's Your Favourite Opus?

54/5
71/4

chasmaniac

Just curious. Mine is 64.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

mszczuj

Karl Henning

I think I must go with Op.50. Davey should be pleased : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Quote from: karlhenning on April 04, 2012, 04:01:18 AM
I think I must go with Op.50. Davey should be pleased : )

Excellent.

Sergeant Rock

Checking out my Top Ten list, it seems Op.33 has to be my choice.

op.9/4   D minor
op.20/2 C major
op.33/1 B minor
op.33/2 E flat "Joke"
op:33/3 C major "Bird"
op.50/4 F sharp minor
op.64/3 B flat major
op.74/3 G minor "Rider"
op.76/2 D minor "Fifths"
op.77/1 G major

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

chasmaniac

6 votes in and no 76s. Bit of a surprise that.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Madiel

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 04, 2012, 05:55:29 AM

I can 'fix' that for you, but it didn't seem appropriate because I only know 2 sets (76 and 71/4).  And even then it's not a very fair fight when I know 76 intimately and 71/4 considerably less well.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 04, 2012, 05:55:29 AM

If it had been 'vote for your top 2 faves'.... :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

chasmaniac

Quote from: orfeo on April 04, 2012, 06:00:32 AM
I can 'fix' that for you, but it didn't seem appropriate because I only know 2 sets (76 and 71/4).  And even then it's not a very fair fight when I know 76 intimately and 71/4 considerably less well.

I reckon as long as you know more than one, it's fair to say what your fave is.

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 04, 2012, 06:09:34 AM
If it had been 'vote for your top 2 faves'.... :)

8)

Ha! More than 1 is hopeless! Mine would start at one end and run clear to the other!  :)

Madiel

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 04, 2012, 06:14:34 AM
I reckon as long as you know more than one, it's fair to say what your fave is.

76 it is then.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 04, 2012, 06:16:29 AM
Ha! More than 1 is hopeless! Mine would start at one end and run clear to the other!  :)

Yes, in truth it is whatever one I'm listening to at the moment...  I'm even sort of disappointed not to see Op 1 & 2 in there; they were some of the best music of their time, without which Haydn would have never got his start. :)

8)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 04, 2012, 06:37:20 AM
I'm even sort of disappointed not to see Op 1 & 2 in there; they were some of the best music of their time, without which Haydn would have never got his start. :)

8)

Fixed.

Leon

Since I enjoy all of these works fairly uniformly, this was a somewhat meaningless choice. 

Each work has it own strengths and Haydn was such a masterful composer, especially in the string quartet idiom, that it is hard for me to claim any strong preference.

That said, Op. 76 edges out the others as my favorite primarily because of my special affection for #2.

:)

kishnevi

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 04, 2012, 06:16:29 AM

I'd have to vote for all of them except 1, 2 and 42, and that's only because I've never heard those particular sets  complete through.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Arnold on April 04, 2012, 06:40:14 AM
Since I enjoy all of these works fairly uniformly, this was a somewhat meaningless choice. 

Each work has it own strengths and Haydn was such a masterful composer, especially in the string quartet idiom, that it is hard for me to claim any strong preference.

That said, Op. 76 edges out the others as my favorite primarily because of my special affection for #2.

:)

That d minor is probably my favorite single quartet. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: chasmaniac on April 04, 2012, 06:39:55 AM
Fixed.

Thanks. I hope someone now can also show them some love. :)

8)

Mirror Image

:-\ Shouldn't this be in the polling section of the forum?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 04, 2012, 08:02:54 AM
:-\ Shouldn't this be in the polling section of the forum?

Yup. Thought it was. Where would I be? :)

8)