Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

I found this to be a rather moving performance of Symphony No. 5 conducted here by Sir Andrew Davis with the Frankfurt RSO:

https://www.youtube.com/v/LsQGFlcqUmA

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Two American 6ths

I haven't had time to root around in this thread, so I'll put the question here.

Can I get some opinions on two VW 6ths made long ago with American orchestras: Abravanel (Utah) and Stokowski (NY)?

I heard Stokie's 1st mvt. on YouTube and was bowled over by the energy in it. But these are old recordings - how do they stack up sonically?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

vandermolen

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on February 13, 2017, 01:18:34 PM
Two American 6ths

I haven't had time to root around in this thread, so I'll put the question here.

Can I get some opinions on two VW 6ths made long ago with American orchestras: Abravanel (Utah) and Stokowski (NY)?

I heard Stokie's 1st mvt. on YouTube and was bowled over by the energy in it. But these are old recordings - how do they stack up sonically?
Both old recordings but fine performances; also I think that you get the fastest (Stokowski) and slowest ( Abravanel) versions of the 'Epilogue' last movement. I enjoy both but prefer the more recent Abravanel version. I think that Stokowski's was the first recording beating the Boult EMI version by one day. If you want better sound I'd go for Abravanel but the Stokowski is a very powerful version. Sorry, this probably doesn't help you very much!  I wouldn't be without either version and I'm sorry that Bernstein never recorded it. As for modern American conductors neither Slatkin or Previn are top recommendations.  The Stokowski version is available in the best sound on the Cala label:
[asin]B000222YGO[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on February 13, 2017, 01:18:34 PM
Two American 6ths

From what I've heard of Abravanel's 6th, it's an outstanding performance. I own the dreaded CD/DVD combination of the Abravanel, but recently bought the Vanguard Classics recording. The CD sounds awesome. I can't speak for the Stokowski as I haven't heard it, but it sounds like a performance I should investigate.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on February 13, 2017, 01:24:46 PM
Both old recordings but fine performances; also I think that you get the fastest (Stokowski) and slowest ( Abravanel) versions of the 'Epilogue' last movement. I enjoy both but prefer the more recent Abravanel version. I think that Stokowski's was the first recording beating the Boult EMI version by one day. If you want better sound I'd go for Abravanel but the Stokowski is a very powerful version. Sorry, this probably doesn't help you very much!  I wouldn't be without either version and I'm sorry that Bernstein never recorded it. As for modern American conductors neither Slatkin or Previn are top recommendations.  The Stokowski version is available in the best sound on the Cala label.

Hmmm, I actually like Previn's a lot actually. He captures the symphony's apocalyptic mood quite well IMHO. I agree with you about Slatkin however. I'm not a fan of his RVW symphony cycle at all.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2017, 01:29:30 PM
From what I've heard of Abravanel's 6th, it's an outstanding performance. I own the dreaded CD/DVD combination of the Abravanel, but recently bought the Vanguard Classics recording. The CD sounds awesome. I can't speak for the Stokowski as I haven't heard it, but it sounds like a performance I should investigate.
Yes, I agree but get the above version for the best transfer - also you get a rather poignant work - Scott's 'From the Sacred Harp' thrown in - complete with composer's introduction to the American Forces. Having said that the other Sony/CBS disc has Mitropolous's recording of Symphony 4 which is unmissable and a great favourite of the composer's. I'm always interested to hear American conductors perform Vaughan Williams.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2017, 01:31:26 PM
Hmmm, I actually like Previn's a lot actually. He captures the symphony's apocalyptic mood quite well IMHO. I agree with you about Slatkin however. I'm not a fan of his RVW symphony cycle at all.
I think that the Previn is better than many others but the last movement maybe a bit lacking in mystery - ok, I must listen to it again. His versions of 2,3 and 8 are my favourites. Slatkin's No.9 is good.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Thanks for your feedback. While I consider the 6th to be one of VW's greatest works, I have a hard time finding recordings that do everything right. Right now I'm happy with Handley/RLPO, but it's kind of "middle of the road," and I'd like to hear a more individualistic take on the piece.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on February 13, 2017, 01:46:44 PM
Thanks for your feedback. While I consider the 6th to be one of VW's greatest works, I have a hard time finding recordings that do everything right. Right now I'm happy with Handley/RLPO, but it's kind of "middle of the road," and I'd like to hear a more individualistic take on the piece.

Then listen to Berglund's 6th. You'll thank me later. ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on February 13, 2017, 01:39:27 PM
I think that the Previn is better than many others but the last movement maybe a bit lacking in mystery - ok, I must listen to it again. His versions of 2,3 and 8 are my favourites. Slatkin's No.9 is good.

Previn is one of my favorite all-around RVW conductors for the symphonies and, for me, he didn't make many missteps. I also feel the same way about Boult and Thomson. Of course, we can talk about individual great performances all day long, but I think Apollo will be quite happy with Abravanel in the 6th. I suggested the Berglund 6th as well.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2017, 02:06:50 PM
Previn is one of my favorite all-around RVW conductors for the symphonies and, for me, he didn't make many missteps. I also feel the same way about Boult and Thomson. Of course, we can talk about individual great performances all day long, but I think Apollo will be quite happy with Abravanel in the 6th. I suggested the Berglund 6th as well.
Berglund is a great choice but he's right that few performances get it right in all respects. My top choice remains the Boult LPO Decca recording with Vaughan Williams's speech at the end:
[asin]B00007A3E2[/asin]
And here is the fine Berglund set:
[asin]B0018OAP2U[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on February 13, 2017, 02:43:41 PM
Berglund is a great choice but he's right that few performances get it right in all respects. My top choice remains the Boult LPO Decca recording with Vaughan Williams's speech at the end:
[asin]B00007A3E2[/asin]
And here is the fine Berglund set:
[asin]B0018OAP2U[/asin]

The audio quality of the Boult turns me off of course, but from a musical standpoint --- the early Boult on Decca is a fine set, but I believe RVW's music only got better whenever stereo started really happening as the intricacies and subtleties of much of his music can be better appreciated.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 13, 2017, 02:59:57 PM
The audio quality of the Boult turns me off of course, but from a musical standpoint --- the early Boult on Decca is a fine set, but I believe RVW's music only got better whenever stereo started really happening as the intricacies and subtleties of much of his music can be better appreciated.
That's quite true and, in that respect, Boult's later EMI recording has many admirers, including myself. It featured as the choice in a 'Top 1000' Classical CDs book:
[asin]B0009AD3DC[/asin]
You can pick it up for about £1.00 second hand on Amazon (UK) and for $0.1 (US) - one of the great CD bargains!

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on February 14, 2017, 12:11:17 AM
That's quite true and, in that respect, Boult's later EMI recording has many admirers, including myself. It featured as the choice in a 'Top 1000' Classical CDs book:
[asin]B0009AD3DC[/asin]
You can pick it up for about £1.00 second hand on Amazon (UK) and for $0.1 (US) - one of the great CD bargains!

Of course, I already own Boult's stereo EMI cycle, so no need to buy the original issue CD, although that cover looks quite cool. ;) I'll have to revisit Boult's 6th at some point.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 14, 2017, 05:07:15 AM
Of course, I already own Boult's stereo EMI cycle, so no need to buy the original issue CD, although that cover looks quite cool. ;) I'll have to revisit Boult's 6th at some point.
Yes, it's subsequent release featured a rather less interesting cover (the one featured in the CD Guide book).
[asin]B00000DO97[/asin]
VW would, I suspect, have disapproved of the symphonies being linked to World War Two - something he vehemently denied. However, it does, I suppose, provide some generalised historical context for the symphonies.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on February 14, 2017, 05:29:22 AM
Yes, it's subsequent release featured a rather less interesting cover (the one featured in the CD Guide book).
[asin]B00000DO97[/asin]
VW would, I suspect, have disapproved of the symphonies being linked to World War Two - something he vehemently denied. However, it does, I suppose, provide some generalised historical context for the symphonies.

I know RVW denied that either World War had anything to do with his Symphonies Nos. 4 & 6, but I have a gut feeling that it actually did. I'd say being an ambulance driver during WWI must have affected him in some way. I mean how could an experience like that not affect a man? If I'm not mistaken, much of A Pastoral Symphony, or at least the genesis of the work, was created on the frontline.

Mirror Image

Abranavel's 6th is on the way to me today, so I'm hoping to give it a listen tonight if I'm not too tired. I recall it being an outstanding performance. Santa Fe Listener, whose reviews I seldom care to read as he's a prime example of pure puffery and snobby elitism, actually said something rather interesting about this particular performance in his headline for the review: "An amazing Vaughan Williams Sixth--as huge and open as Copland (!)". That certainly sounds intriguing. Whether it's true or not, I haven't the foggiest idea, but, nevertheless, I'm quite anxious to revisit this Abravanel performance.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 14, 2017, 07:19:42 AM
Abranavel's 6th is on the way to me today, so I'm hoping to give it a listen tonight if I'm not too tired. I recall it being an outstanding performance. Santa Fe Listener, whose reviews I seldom care to read as he's a prime example of pure puffery and snobby elitism, actually said something rather interesting about this particular performance in his headline for the review: "An amazing Vaughan Williams Sixth--as huge and open as Copland (!)". That certainly sounds intriguing. Whether it's true or not, I haven't the foggiest idea, but, nevertheless, I'm quite anxious to revisit this Abravanel performance.
I hope you ordered the Vanguard CD with Dona Nobis Pacem John - Great disc and very nicely presented too. One of my favourite couplings too.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on February 14, 2017, 09:01:24 AM
I hope you ordered the Vanguard CD with Dona Nobis Pacem John - Great disc and very nicely presented too. One of my favourite couplings too.

Yep, that's the one I bought and I also bought the other RVW Abravanel recording with various orchestral works like Flos Campi, Tallis Fantasia, 'Dives and Lazarus', among others.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 14, 2017, 06:42:07 PM
Yep, that's the one I bought and I also bought the other RVW Abravanel recording with various orchestral works like Flos Campi, Tallis Fantasia, 'Dives and Lazarus', among others.
All excellent in my view. Abravanel is an underrated conductor.