Vaughan Williams's Veranda

Started by karlhenning, April 12, 2007, 06:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Christo

Quote from: karlhenning on May 12, 2013, 01:49:34 PM
Well, I regret having been he who cast up the bone of contention : )
;) Bone of contention - ha! La pomme de la discorde.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

calyptorhynchus

I've just been listening to a CD from Naxos/Marco Polo entitled The Best of Chinese Pop, which is a series of tracks of arrangements of Chinese Pop music for violin and orchestra.

I knew that Chinese folk-music shared with European folk-music the pentatonic scale, but I was amazed to listen to these tunes. Slowed down a little and with a less jaunty accompaniment many sounded exactly like "The Maid and the Soldier" (fictitious title) sung in a pub in Hampshire c1904, or some of the themes for the Norfolk Rhapsodies. If you run out of VW to listen to you should pick up this disc.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I'm gonna hear VW's 5th Symphony in concert on Wednesday, as part of the Grant Park Festival.

This will be my first-ever live hearing of a VW symphony, I think. (I missed an earlier performance this year of the 8th.)
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

vandermolen

Quote from: Velimir on June 24, 2013, 03:47:11 PM
I'm gonna hear VW's 5th Symphony in concert on Wednesday, as part of the Grant Park Festival.

This will be my first-ever live hearing of a VW symphony, I think. (I missed an earlier performance this year of the 8th.)

Great news - let us know what you make of it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Velimir on June 24, 2013, 03:47:11 PM

This concert will be streaming live on www.wfmt.com starting at 6:30pm central time.

Enjoy the show, Velmir!

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 25, 2013, 02:47:15 AM
This concert will be steaming ....

Panning the event ahead of time, Greg? Tut-tut! 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on June 25, 2013, 03:02:36 AM
Panning the event ahead of time, Greg? Tut-tut! 8)

Ha! It should be a scorcher!  8)

vandermolen

Just listening to the 1952 recording of the ubiquitous 'Lark Ascending' played by Jean Pougnet (LPO/Adrian Boult). I must say that I am so over familiar with this work, largely through the Classic FM exposure that I expected to be rather bored by it. Quite the opposite in fact! The emotion is underplayed and therefore, paradoxically, more moving. I really enjoyed this much more than expected. Pougnet's performance is much less 'sugary' and 'no nonsense' than many more modern recordings and is, in my view, a much greater performance, which I shall return to.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaughan-Williams-Dona-nobis-pacem/dp/B00005Q2X8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1380833037&sr=1-1&keywords=Lark+ascending+Pougnet
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

jlaurson

bump:

Votes collected:

Sy/InterpreterBoult IBoult IIHaitinkHandleyHickoxPrevinSlatkinA.DavisThomsonOther
No.1 A Sea Symphony I0III000I000
No.2 London............0I00III '13I '36001Goosens '20, Barbi, HandleyLPO
No.3 Pastoral...........I0II0III0000
No.4........................I000000I0Berglund x2, Bernie
No.5........................00000I000Barbi x2, Menuhin, Previn-Tel
No.6........................II0I00001/20Berglund x1.5
No.7 Antarctica........I0II001/20000
No.8........................001/2I 1/20I000Barbi
No.9........................00II0000I 1/2Stokes, Bakels

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on October 03, 2013, 01:49:30 PM
bump:

Votes collected:

How does a performance get a half vote...or one and a half votes? And what does III '13 and I '36 mean?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

jlaurson

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 03, 2013, 02:53:34 PM
Quote from: jlaurson on October 03, 2013, 01:49:30 PM
bump:

Votes collected:

Sy/InterpreterBoult IBoult IIHaitinkHandleyHickoxPrevinSlatkinA.DavisThomsonOther
No.1 A Sea Symphony I0III000I000
No.2 London............0I00III '13I '36001Goosens '20, Barbi, HandleyLPO
No.3 Pastoral...........I0II0III0000
No.4........................I000000I0Berglund x2, Bernie
No.5........................00000I000Barbi x2, Menuhin, Previn-Tel
No.6........................II0I00001/20Berglund x1.5
No.7 Antarctica........I0II001/20000
No.8........................001/2I 1/20I000Barbi
No.9........................00II0000I 1/2Stokes, Bakels

How does a performance get a half vote...or one and a half votes? And what does III '13 and I '36 mean?

Sarge

Half-votes are where someone was split on a favorite for one particular symphony.

'13 and '36 are the versions (revisions) of that symphony.

Mirror Image

Coming out very soon...

[asin]B00E4VUJP2[/asin]

Apparently, all of these works have not been recorded before. I'll definitely be picking this one up when it comes out.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 31, 2013, 08:10:08 PM
Coming out very soon...

[asin]B00E4VUJP2[/asin]

Apparently, all of these works have not been recorded before. I'll definitely be picking this one up when it comes out.

This is already available over here (downtown rural East Sussex  8)). It is a super CD. The Solent is especially fine but disconcerting to hear it away from its reappearance in Symphony No 9. I also enjoyed the music from the Mayor of Casterbridge. In fact the whole CD will bring much pleasure to VW fans.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on November 01, 2013, 01:10:28 AM
This is already available over here (downtown rural East Sussex  8)). It is a super CD. The Solent is especially fine but disconcerting to hear it away from its reappearance in Symphony No 9. I also enjoyed the music from the Mayor of Casterbridge. In fact the whole CD will bring much pleasure to VW fans.

Excellent! I think this comes out week after next here is the States. Sounds like a winning recording.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 31, 2013, 08:10:08 PM
Coming out very soon...

[asin]B00E4VUJP2[/asin]

The Solent is superb-a magically evocative and atmospheric work which I can't believe hasn't been recorded before. The other works I was less impressed by, but, after all, they are juvenilia.

calyptorhynchus

If I remember rightly VW reused a theme from the Solent in his Ninth Symphony. "In my end is my beginning".

:-)
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

>:(
Quote from: calyptorhynchus on November 01, 2013, 05:19:40 PM
If I remember rightly VW reused a theme from the Solent in his Ninth Symphony. "In my end is my beginning".

:-)

Yes, he did - good point.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 01, 2013, 08:07:22 AM
The Solent is superb-a magically evocative and atmospheric work which I can't believe hasn't been recorded before. The other works I was less impressed by, but, after all, they are juvenilia.

Did you buy this recording as a download, Kyle? It's not out yet in the States.

The new erato

They ship across the pond you know, I used to buy quite a lot from the states, not so much with the recent postage increases, but just recently some ATMA discs from amazon.ca.

Brahmsian

In honour of Veterans' Day/Remembrance Day

Symphony No. 5 in D major

Boult
London Philharmonic Orchestra

[asin]B00004YA0V[/asin]