Author Topic: Brexit Negotiations.  (Read 138735 times)

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
Re: Brexit Negotiations.
« Reply #1400 on: November 17, 2020, 12:33:56 AM »
Scottish fishers planning to land and sell their fish in Northern Ireland, so it can be exported within the EU without tariffs and paperwork.

Brexit: Will Scottish fishing boats move to Northern Ireland?

Smart, but bad for Scotland...
And we are going to see more of this after the transition period: businesses will conduct their activities how and where it is best for them... they are not interested in political monologues about "sovereignty".

Q

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #1401 on: November 17, 2020, 01:56:39 AM »
Scottish fishers planning to land and sell their fish in Northern Ireland, so it can be exported within the EU without tariffs and paperwork.

Brexit: Will Scottish fishing boats move to Northern Ireland?

Smart, but bad for Scotland...
And we are going to see more of this after the transition period: businesses will conduct their activities how and where it is best for them... they are not interested in political monologues about "sovereignty".

Q

Well yes. I happen to know, for example, that there are some Australian exports that currently arrive into the EU in England, but which are ultimately destined for the continent. And so next year those exporters are going to change their shipping patterns so that their goods go direct to the continent. It's inevitable that businesses will make that kind of assessment and change their behaviour to minimise cost and paperwork.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #1402 on: November 17, 2020, 04:22:32 AM »
Well yes. I happen to know, for example, that there are some Australian exports that currently arrive into the EU in England, but which are ultimately destined for the continent. And so next year those exporters are going to change their shipping patterns so that their goods go direct to the continent. It's inevitable that businesses will make that kind of assessment and change their behaviour to minimise cost and paperwork.
Do you know why they have currently been going to England vs. elsewhere?  Just curious.

PD

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #1403 on: November 17, 2020, 04:44:09 AM »
Do you know why they have currently been going to England vs. elsewhere?  Just curious.

PD

No, not really. Maybe some of the product is meant for the UK and offloaded there. Or maybe it's just some other convenience factor. All I know for certain is that there are exporters who won't want the product counted as going to the UK once the UK is no longer counted as part of the EU for trade purposes (after 31 December).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline accmacmus

« Reply #1404 on: November 19, 2020, 08:07:14 AM »
How do you say Oh merde! in English?

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #1405 on: November 19, 2020, 12:35:17 PM »
How do you say Oh merde! in English?

Brexit?
“Especially as far as I am concerned, romanticism is not the bloodless intellectual commitment to a program, but the expression of my most profound mind and soul.” --- Sergei Bortkiewicz (1877-1952)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #1406 on: November 19, 2020, 04:14:45 PM »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1407 on: November 19, 2020, 11:51:09 PM »
The Dutch banking group ABN-AMRO has calculated that even if the deal that is now being negotiated will go through, it will result in a €4.5 bilion hit on Dutch GDP and a loss of 17.700 jobs.

In a no deal situation the damage to the Dutch economy is €17.5 billion and the loss of 70.000 jobs.

This is just sheer and utter madness....  ???

Q

« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 11:23:46 AM by Que »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1408 on: November 23, 2020, 04:31:49 AM »
UK should not sign EU deal at any price, says Sunak

Interestingly, some EU member states have expressed the same sentiment....

Which makes a scenario possible in which a negotiated deal could be rejected by either British politics or one or more EU member states.

Q

Offline Iota

« Reply #1409 on: November 23, 2020, 04:58:05 AM »
It seems to me that the overall tenor of remarks emerging from Downing St, including the one from the consistently unpalatable Johnson the other day (https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-johnson-keeps-talking-with-eu-but-says-uk-should-prepare-for-no-deal/), are attempting to prepare us for a no deal already privately decided on by the UK goverment.

But it's a situation so fraught with uncertainty and brinkmanship to which Que's link above only adds, that any guess is a wild one at the moment, and I would very much like to be wrong.