Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsifal

I had a number of these discs when they were being released individually. I like Kovacevitch but many of these recordings were made during a time when EMI engineering was too harsh for my taste.

Marc

Quote from: Scarpia on September 25, 2017, 08:49:10 AM
I had a number of these discs when they were being released individually. I like Kovacevitch but many of these recordings were made during a time when EMI engineering was too harsh for my taste.

Not sure if they are remastered and therefore sounding better than in their first release(s), but it was less harsh than I expected. In the later recordings, the sound was, despite being still direct, quite warm and deep.
Now listening, to close my Beet/Kovacevich listening for today, to opp. 49: they're good, they really are. No hammering here. Swift and very pleasant IMO.

Parsifal

Quote from: Marc on September 25, 2017, 08:53:23 AM
Not sure if they are remastered and therefore sounding better than in their first release(s), but it was less harsh than I expected. In the later recordings, the sound was, despite being still direct, quite warm and deep.
Now listening, to close my Beet/Kovacevich listening for today, to opp. 49: they're good, they really are. No hammering here. Swift and very pleasant IMO.

They did a better job (for my taste) towards the end, and I recall that some sonatas were recorded a second time, with the first recording omitted from the collection. I do recall liking this one:

George

Then Kovacevitch Beethoven to have, IMO, is the Philips recordings.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Marc

Quote from: George on September 25, 2017, 09:00:17 AM
Then Kovacevitch Beethoven to have, IMO, is the Philips recordings.

I'll remember that... who knows, later. :)

Madiel

One thing I particularly love from that set is the op.28 'Pastoral'.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

prémont

Quote from: Marc on September 25, 2017, 08:53:23 AM

If the booklet doesn't tell anything about this, we probably have to realize, that the set wasn't remastered.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 26, 2017, 07:42:04 AM
If the booklet doesn't tell anything about this, we probably have to realize, that the set wasn't remastered.

Yes.
Which means: no.
I guess.

:D

Quote from: ørfeo on September 26, 2017, 01:35:16 AM

Going to do opus 28 before a pastoral night rest.
Sweet dreams ahead.

:)

George

Quote from: ørfeo on September 26, 2017, 01:35:16 AM

Same here.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Parsifal

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 26, 2017, 07:42:04 AM

I assume it is a re-boxing of the complete set released in 2004.

Whatever re-mastering might have been done for that set presumably applies to the new bargain release.

Brian

Pianist Andreas Haefliger has begun a new collaboration with BIS Records. Each solo album will include a Beethoven sonata "as the point of departure" for other works.

It's a continuation of his "Perspectives" series, which began on Avie Records:
Vol 1 - Schubert D. 537 / Adès Darknesse Visible / Mozart No. 17 K. 570 / Op. 111
Vol 2 - Op. 54 / Bartók Out of Doors / Op. 90 / Brahms No. 3
Vol 3 - Op. 28 / Op. 57 / D. 960
Vol 4 - 1.X.1905 / Op. 53 / Op. 78 / Brahms No. 2
Vol 5 - Op. 106 / Années Year 1
Vol 6 - Op. 14 No. 2 / two Berio encores / Op. 109 / two more Berio encores / Schumann Op. 17

The first BIS album will be marked Volume 7 and will couple a Beethoven sonata with Berg's, plus works by Mussorgsky and Liszt.

prémont

Quote from: Scarpia on September 26, 2017, 10:43:13 AM
I assume it is a re-boxing of the complete set released in 2004.

Whatever re-mastering might have been done for that set presumably applies to the new bargain release.

This is precisely what I want to know, since I own the original release and wonder, if a purchase of the new bargain release is justified for the matter of sonic upgrading.

Parsifal

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 26, 2017, 01:01:15 PM
This is precisely what I want to know, since I own the original release and wonder, if a purchase of the new bargain release is justified for the matter of sonic upgrading.

The would never remaster anything for a straight bargain box re-release. I am 99% sure it would be the same.

prémont

Quote from: Scarpia on September 26, 2017, 01:30:43 PM
The would never remaster anything for a straight bargain box re-release. I am 99% sure it would be the same.

This is also what I think, but Marc's description of the sound of the bargain release makes me wonder.

Brian

I think ClassicsToday just said the Gieseking Debussy box in that series was newly remastered?

Todd

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 26, 2017, 01:33:18 PM
This is also what I think, but Marc's description of the sound of the bargain release makes me wonder.

The Warner site does not mention any remastering.

Quote from: Brian on September 26, 2017, 01:39:58 PM
I think ClassicsToday just said the Gieseking Debussy box in that series was newly remastered?

That appears to be a reissue of the EMI Signature Collection from 2012, later Warner branded.  I doubt it was remastered again so soon.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Parsifal

Quote from: Brian on September 26, 2017, 01:39:58 PM

EMI did a new remastering of the Geiseking Debussy for a high resolution SACD release in 2012.

[asin] B0079J283C[/asin]

That's what they used.  I have it, it sound much better than the purple box which preceded it.

[asin]B000002S6Z[/asin]

Marc

Quote from: (: premont :) on September 26, 2017, 01:01:15 PM

No remastering mentioned.

I did some reading about the Kovacevich recordings during the last years, and some reviewers mentioned the hard, direct and metallic sound. So that's what I expected.
My own experience until now: the early recordings are indeed rather harsh and metallic.
But the later ones sound good on my hifi set. Still direct, but warm and deep.

I think that, in general, the recordings match Kovacevich's own insights.
And I'm happy with the purchase, because it adds something different to my collection so far.

Jo498

I have 3-4 of the single issues and am rather undecided about them. The low price of the new box is tempting, of course. In my experience the sound was not as bad as some claimed but not good either (and even less pleasant).
And while I generally like fast Beethoven (Gulda/Amadeo is still a great favorite in many sonatas) Kovacevich is sometimes too relentlessly fast and brutal for me. E.g the first movement of op.2/1 mentioned above is way too fast in my opinion. It should feel slower than the finale and while K is fast in the finale he is so faster in the first one. He is also often quite fast in slow movements.

Overall the older Philips recordings (only 8 sonatas + Diabellis and Bagatelles, though) have far more pleasant sound and they are more "balanced" (also more "mainstream") performances. The concertos with Davis are also very good.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

I never had any issue with the sound at all.** In my view any aggression comes from the playing.

**Noting that some of the early recordings of the single issues were replaced by new ones in the box set.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!