Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

Sometimes too aggressive? Yes, occasionally. The Appassionata is the one that stands out for me in that regard, it's always been a bit uncomfortable. But only occasionally would I say the playing is aggressive. In my view, more often it's dynamic without tipping over. And there are works and movements where a comparison between Kovacevich and another version I have is very much in his favour.

I certainly don't have any problem with the sound in the edition that I have.

I seem to remember reading that he actually re-recorded a few sonatas for the box because he wasn't happy with what he had done for the single releases. Off the top of my head I think it was op.2 he did that for.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Turner

I have 8 cycles (including Schnabel, Kuerti, Korstick, Annie Fischer, Goodyear) but consider 3 of them of less interest (Brendel/Vox, Kempff/DG, Gulda/Amadeo). Skipped another one recently. Lots of individual albums too, so 27 Appassionatas, for example. I agree that Kovacevich is currently tempting, but I've stopped for now, with the possible exception of a cheap LP record now and then, perhaps.

prémont

Quote from: Turner on January 03, 2018, 03:54:38 AM
I have 8 cycles (including Schnabel, Kuerti, Korstick, Annie Fischer, Goodyear) but consider 3 of them of less interest (Brendel/Vox, Kempff/DG, Gulda/Amadeo). Skipped another one recently. Lots of individual albums too, so 27 Appassionatas, for example. I agree that Kovacevich is currently tempting, but I've stopped for now, with the possible exception of a cheap LP record now and then, perhaps.

Well, I have also skipped some (Gould, Ciani, Øland, Kuerti, Schiff and Nicolajevna), and I do not intend to acquire more, other than exceptional sets. This is why I recently got Goodyear's set.
Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

Turner

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 03, 2018, 04:09:30 AM
Well, I have also skipped some (Gould, Ciani, Øland, Kuerti and Nicolajevna), and I do not intend to acquire more, other than exceptional sets. This is why I recently got Goodyear's set.
What I've heard of Øland wasn't remarkable, and Ciani too (it wasn't Beethoven though, and I know that some hold him in esteem). I guess Nikolaeva is a bit sketchy and rough (a guess only, didn't hear her in Beethoven), but the eccentricities of Gould and Kuerti certainly appeal to me personally - Kuerti, it must be said, of a rather introvert sort ...

amw

Badura-Skoda on Astrée is the cycle I consider indispensable and listen to most often, and practically speaking the only one I "need", but I also have Schiff, Goodyear, Shimizu, Kikuchi, and Jumppanen. And through streaming I have listened to most or all of Fischer, Kovacevich, Pienaar, Korstick, Pollini, Brautigam, Levinas, Frank, Schnabel, Gulda I & III, Lim, Brendel I & II, and Zhao, of which I found Kovacevich and Pienaar to be the most interesting and Fischer to be the best. I mean I guess I've heard a lot of cycles then, and am just low on available hard disk space for them.

I haven't practiced the piano in 750 years but back when I did, the sonatas I had learned were 31/2 and 109. 31/2 is where I'd start again if I ever go back to playing regularly, since it's easier but still has some useful challenges, but maybe work my way up to it through an easier sonata like 22. eventually of course my sights are set on 106 but that's not realistic for me at the moment—don't have enough control or security in any aspect of technique yet. Getting secure with easier beethoven sonatas & mozart & Bach fugues is what's important if you ever want to try the hammerklavier, as far as I can tell.

San Antone

Quote from: amw on January 03, 2018, 05:27:14 AM
Badura-Skoda on Astrée is the cycle I consider indispensable and listen to most often, and practically speaking the only one I "need", but I also have Schiff, Goodyear, Shimizu, Kikuchi, and Jumppanen. And through streaming I have listened to most or all of Fischer, Kovacevich, Pienaar, Korstick, Pollini, Brautigam, Levinas, Frank, Schnabel, Gulda I & III, Lim, Brendel I & II, and Zhao, of which I found Kovacevich and Pienaar to be the most interesting and Fischer to be the best. I mean I guess I've heard a lot of cycles then, and am just low on available hard disk space for them.

I haven't practiced the piano in 750 years but back when I did, the sonatas I had learned were 31/2 and 109. 31/2 is where I'd start again if I ever go back to playing regularly, since it's easier but still has some useful challenges, but maybe work my way up to it through an easier sonata like 22. eventually of course my sights are set on 106 but that's not realistic for me at the moment—don't have enough control or security in any aspect of technique yet. Getting secure with easier beethoven sonatas & mozart & Bach fugues is what's important if you ever want to try the hammerklavier, as far as I can tell.

I had momentarily forgotten about Schiff's ECM cycle.  They are available to stream, and I've listened to some - I might splurge for the box.  I am enjoying his new recordings of both Beethoven and Bach on ECM.  In fact, ECM New Series is challenging Hyperion as my favorite label.

prémont

Quote from: Turner on January 03, 2018, 04:17:18 AM
What I've heard of Øland wasn't remarkable, and Ciani too (it wasn't Beethoven though, and I know that some hold him in esteem). I guess Nikolaeva is a bit sketchy and rough (a guess only, didn't hear her in Beethoven), but the eccentricities of Gould and Kuerti certainly appeal to me personally - Kuerti, it must be said, of a rather introvert sort ...

Nicolajevna's set is a live recording, made late in her career, and filled with an extraordinary large amount of fingerslips and failing memory, so much that it is impossible to enjoy the playing. And concerning Gould and Kuerti - yes it was their eccentricities I did not stand. Strange because there are other eccentric pianists I find rather good Heidsieck, Pienaar, Lim and Eduardo del Pueyo e,g.

prémont

Quote from: The One on January 03, 2018, 04:15:00 AM
I consider myself a total Beethoven freak

I was once, but the growing number of available recordings eventually made a completistic strategy impossible. 

prémont

Quote from: The One on January 03, 2018, 06:12:44 AM
That is implied in "freak"

Admittedly English is not my first tongue, but in my book "freak" means an eccentric enthusiast / addict, and does not imply whether one in practice is able to live ones interests out or not. Completism is eccentric, but I have given it up. So I was a freak, but am not anymore. Correct me if there is somthing I got wrong.

prémont

Quote from: The One on January 03, 2018, 07:30:59 AM
This was per Jens' knowledge of English but he deleted his post :))

No, not at all. "Freak" comes with a bit exaggeration and ambition. The common denominator with a completist should be the obsessiveness.

Well, obsessiveness was what I implied in the word addict,

Am / is  - of course, a stupid mistake because I have to think about the grammar all the time. :)

Jens often deletes his posts. He should know me that well by now, that I am not easily offended.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 03, 2018, 08:11:21 AM

Jens often deletes his posts. He should know me that well by now, that I am not easily offended.

Now I offended for not wanting to offend?  :o ;D

I often think that I've come up with something totally hilarious and post it on the net -- only to find that someone took great offense. And it really gets to me, every time. So I'd rather err on the side of caution after the fact, if I can't err on the side of prudence in the first place.  :-\

Cheers

P.S. "aren't", technically.

prémont

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 03, 2018, 10:12:36 AM
Now I offended for not wanting to offend?  :o ;D

Only if someone else was offended on my behalf. And this sounds unlikely.

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty
I often think that I've come up with something totally hilarious and post it on the net -- only to find that someone took great offense. And it really gets to me, every time. So I'd rather err on the side of caution after the fact, if I can't err on the side of prudence in the first place.  :-\

Cheers

P.S. "aren't", technically.

I understand you well, and it is always frustrating if others are offended on an invisible basis. What I note is that your posts always are meant in a friendly way.

prémont

Quote from: The One on January 03, 2018, 10:57:31 AM
Noo. You didn't see it. It was really offensive. And not only to you, there were some heavy stuff directed to Danes...or was it to danish cake, can never be sure. But I remember crying when I first read it. [sinister whisper] Never forgive himm. Master knows. Yes, Precious...

Hmm, now I am becoming curious. But until proven otherwise I am going to suppose, that he [Surprised by Beauty] just wanted to express some innocent humor.

P.S. It has never occurred to me, that you [the one] might be Danish.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: (: premont :) on January 03, 2018, 11:19:17 AM
Hmm, now I am becoming curious. But until proven otherwise I am going to suppose, that he just wanted to express some innocent humor.

P.S. It has never occurred to me, that you might be Danish.

He's kidding. I was just supposing that you were Danish and consequently likely better at both English and possibly German than many an average native speaker.

prémont

San Antone

prémont

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 03, 2018, 12:56:14 PM
I was just supposing that you were Danish and consequently likely better at both English and possibly German than many an average native speaker.

You may be right, at least concerning English, I don't know.

prémont

Quote from: San Antone on January 03, 2018, 02:35:50 PM
He?  I assumed The One was a Neanderthal woman.

Yes, everyone has got to choose one's avatar with care, even The One.

Josquin13

Unfortunately, many of the finest Beethoven pianists I've heard in my life never recorded or finished a complete set of all 32 Piano Sonatas: Such as Rudolf Serkin, Sviatoslav Richter, Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, Emil Gilels, Solomon, Miecyslaw Horszowski, Edwin Fischer, Youra Guller, Zoltan Kocsis, Bruno-Leonardo Gelber, Clara Haskil, Penelope Crawford, and Glenn Gould (who could be either brilliant or off the mark in Beethoven, depending on the sonata--in my view).  But I am very grateful for what Beethoven I have from these remarkable pianists.

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: San Antone on January 03, 2018, 02:35:50 PM
He?  I assumed The One was a Neanderthal woman.

I assumed it was a candid selfie.  ???

But back to Beethoven:

Beethoven: Complete Piano Sonatas
JEAN-EFFLAM BAVOUZET

Bavouzet's cycle is out as a set now... I didn't entirely warm to volume 1 but I'll re-immerse myself soonish.

And I have to update my Beethoven Sonata survey, finally.

Anyone have any information on Aquieles delle Vigne's cycle on WideClassique?