Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Todd on November 04, 2012, 06:31:16 PM
Yes.
Now, supposing I'm saving up to buy R. Serkin/RCA and Brautigam (when boxed), and don't know anything of the two Buchbinders or any Backhaus, and have meh-quality MP3s of Kempff/DG (but 16-32 only), still worth those $40?

Fred

Am presently downloading the complete beethoven (10CDs) by KORSTICK from 7digital for $11.  Surely, there is some mistake!

George

Quote from: Brian on November 04, 2012, 07:34:20 PM
Now, supposing I'm saving up to buy R. Serkin/RCA and Brautigam (when boxed), and don't know anything of the two Buchbinders, and have meh-quality MP3s of Kempff/DG (but 16-32 only), still worth those $40?

R. Serkin RCA? Do you mean Peter Serkin RCA?

And from your post, do you mean you don't have a single set of the 32?  :o

I LOVE the mono Rudolf Serkin Beethoven sonatas (on Music and Arts and SONY.) More info here.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

Quote from: George on November 04, 2012, 07:40:18 PM
R. Serkin RCA? Do you mean Peter Serkin RCA?

And from your post, do you mean you don't have a single set of the 32?  :o

I LOVE the mono Rudolf Serkin Beethoven sonatas (on Music and Arts and SONY.) More info here.

Ooops! I meant R. Serkin but not RCA: they're all part of the same mega-empire though.

[asin]B008CG1HPQ[/asin]

(It looks like in that box only the Diabellis are listed as mono. I could be wrong...)

I do have the 32, just trying to decide on the next 32. :)

xochitl

Quote from: DavidRoss on November 04, 2012, 06:01:06 PM
http://open.salon.com/blog/ronp01/2009/09/27/the_african_heritage_of_ludwig_van_beethoven

lol [and i'm not even white]

interesting concept, but the 'musicological' aspect is pretty laughable

George

Quote from: Brian on November 04, 2012, 07:48:31 PM
Ooops! I meant R. Serkin but not RCA: they're all part of the same mega-empire though.

Oh, OK.

Quote[asin]B008CG1HPQ[/asin]

(It looks like in that box only the Diabellis are listed as mono. I could be wrong...)

No, you're right.

QuoteI do have the 32, just trying to decide on the next 32. :)

Which complete sets do you already have?

Todd

Quote from: Brian on November 04, 2012, 07:34:20 PMNow, supposing I'm saving up to buy R. Serkin/RCA and Brautigam (when boxed), and don't know anything of the two Buchbinders or any Backhaus, and have meh-quality MP3s of Kempff/DG (but 16-32 only), still worth those $40?

Serkin, Kempff, and Backhaus should take priority over Barenboim's third cycle, which in turn should take priority over Buchbinder and Brautigam.  The Serkin set, while incomplete, also has arguably the finest Diabellis recorded, and a near-complete concerto cycle that is top flight.  Well, it is complete in that all five are included, but the E flat with Bernstein is included in favor of the Ormandy, which was in (excellent sounding) mono.  The Ormandy is one of the best ever.  Of course, so is the Bernstein.  And the earlier concertos are all superb.  I look back now at my brief hesitation in buying the Serkin box, since I had almost everything already, as really rather silly.  Much better to have everything.  Had Serkin done a complete cycle, it might have surpassed even Ms Fischer.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

PaulSC

Quote from: Fred on November 04, 2012, 07:36:00 PM
Am presently downloading the complete beethoven (10CDs) by KORSTICK from 7digital for $11.  Surely, there is some mistake!
Korstick can be bangy and mannered, but there is a lot to like about this cycle. (I've heard roughly half of it.) Good find, pricing mistake or not!
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

Brian

Quote from: George on November 04, 2012, 11:36:43 PM
Which complete sets do you already have?

I think I might just have one.  :o

- My first set was Lucchesini's, a Todd recommendation.
- Incompletes: I have Gilels/DG, which will be forever incomplete (sad); Vols. 1-2 of Francois-Frederic Guy, which I'll buy the rest of or review for MusicWeb; and #s 16-32 of the stereo DG Kempff, on 256kbps MP3s.
- Misc recitals: I have various sonatas by Richter (live), Gilels (live), Pollini, Moravec ("Pastoral"), Schnabel, Michelangeli, Jando, Brautigam, Crawford, Komen.
- Naxos Music Library: have listened to Kovacevich, Takacs, Annie Fischer, Goodyear, and tragically HJ Lim, though even more tragically, the EMI addition so far does not include Heidsieck.

xochitl

i just heard brendel's old vox recordings [sonatas 17-26] and im terribly impressed

i had the cds laying around for years since i bought them on sale [i was still in high school haha] and wasnt very impressed so i put them away in favor of more fire and brimstone interpretations

now coming back to them i was startled by the clarity and intelligence.  ive seldom heard Beethoven sound so 'smart' and fresh, yet still weighty and passionate.

i almost sold these off for a dollar at a yard sale!

betterthanfine

A pianist friend of mine sent me a Youtube link of Richter playing the Appassionata. After listening to it, it became clear to me that I need more of his Beethoven in my collection! There are so many different options though: which recordings are must-haves?

trung224

Quote from: betterthanfine on November 08, 2012, 01:55:53 PM
A pianist friend of mine sent me a Youtube link of Richter playing the Appassionata. After listening to it, it became clear to me that I need more of his Beethoven in my collection! There are so many different options though: which recordings are must-haves?
I think the best way ist the Richter's edition on Brilliant Classics, sound is very listenable, great performances attractive price
[asin]B008L62XEG[/asin]
    and the mid-price CD on Regis is also great
[asin]B007EVQMMI[/asin]
   And indeed, the classic recital in Leipzig , one of greatest Beethoven recital
[asin]B00004R8WM[/asin]
   Beethoven's Variations is one of Richter's strength and if you can tolerate mono sound, this dazzling performance is priceless
[asin]B004UBB3VU[/asin]
   His "Hammerklavier" is also great
[asin]B00004Y6OG[/asin]
   IMHO, you should avoid Richter's Beethoven performance on Decca, which capture him in late period with technical decline and loosing the imperious, power and imaginative quality, which make Richter special. Richter is not Gilels, who played slow even when he still young (as I know when he ist 50) and created the great performance for this style,  Richter slowed down because he didn't have enough technique and memory to play fast. Indeed, when he aged, he played Bach more efficiently but not Beethoven.

George

Quote from: betterthanfine on November 08, 2012, 01:55:53 PM

betterthanfine

Thanks, both of you! I was considering the Regis disc since it has both the Appassionata and the Tempest sonata, which is one of my favourites of the 32. I think I'll get that one and/or the 3 disc Brilliant set to start me off.

George, that Melodiya disc looks very interesting as well. When was it recorded?

Brian

Quote from: betterthanfine on November 08, 2012, 03:55:05 PM
Thanks, both of you! I was considering the Regis disc since it has both the Appassionata and the Tempest sonata, which is one of my favourites of the 32. I think I'll get that one and/or the 3 disc Brilliant set to start me off.

George, that Melodiya disc looks very interesting as well. When was it recorded?
The Brilliant set is something like $10, so you can get both. It really is excellent. :)

George

Quote from: betterthanfine on November 08, 2012, 03:55:05 PM

1952 and 1959

George

Today I listened to the last 3 CDs of this box set. They contain Beethoven sonata recordings by Cortot. However, only Les Adieux is presented in it's entirety, while Appassionata, Moonlight, Pathetique, Op. 90 and Op. 79 are presented in shorter snippets, interspersed with commentary (in French) by the pianist. The recordings were made at the very end of his life, just a few years before he passed away. I was annoyed by the commentary interrupting the music, so I edited the commentary out using Audacity. The resultant music was under 65 minutes long!

Sadly, Cortot's playing here is the worst I have ever heard. His technique really had fallen off and he makes numerous mistakes. The sound is wonderful and we really get to hear Cortot's tone, but the fact that most of it is abbreviated and what is there is not played very well is a big disappointment.

Todd

Quote from: George on November 08, 2012, 04:19:42 PMSadly, Cortot's playing here is the worst I have ever heard.

A bummer, though not unexpected.  I'll still buy for all the other items in the set.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

Quote from: George on November 08, 2012, 04:19:42 PM

Today I listened to the last 3 CDs of this box set. They contain Beethoven sonata recordings by Cortot. However, only Les Adieux is presented in it's entirety, while Appassionata, Moonlight, Pathetique, Op. 90 and Op. 79 are presented in shorter snippets, interspersed with commentary (in French) by the pianist. The recordings were made at the very end of his life, just a few years before he passed away. I was annoyed by the commentary interrupting the music, so I edited the commentary out using Audacity. The resultant music was under 65 minutes long!

Sadly, Cortot's playing here is the worst I have ever heard. His technique really had fallen off and he makes numerous mistakes. The sound is wonderful and we really get to hear Cortot's tone, but the fact that most of it is abbreviated and what is there is not played very well is a big disappointment.

Why is he making a commentary? Is it a masterclass?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Holden

Quote from: George on November 08, 2012, 03:43:07 PM

These are two of the recordings of Richter's LvB that I would wholeheartedly recommend. I'd also add this.

Op 31/2 and Op 31/3 are just brilliant

His early LvB is also great and his only recorded take on Op 14/2 is a real winner.
Cheers

Holden