Label / Number: Gramola 98742/50

and (for completeness's sake) this for the Astree PI cycle

Media:  Compact Disc (CD)
Contains: 9 CDs
Performers: -
Instrument: Hammerflügel der Sammlung Badura-Skoda
Recorded / Published: 1978-1989 / -
Label / Number: Astrée E 8700 (NAÏVE)

The MHS cycle was originally issued by a label named Intercord, apparently. (I don't remember ever hearing the name before.)  At least some of it was recorded on a Steinway.  It's possible that Intercord/MHS set includes some of the same performances on the Gramola, and that Badura-Skoda re-recorded for Gramola only some of the cycle--but wouldn't Gramola have to indicate that some of the recordings in its cycle were licensed from Intercord (or vice versa)?  I don't see any way to reconcile the information Distler brings in the name of "American management" with the website. (ETA: misread what Distler said).   It is possible that some of the performances on the Gramola are the same as some of the ones in the Intercord/MHS set, but if some of the Intercord/MHS was recorded starting in 1955 on a Steinway, then it's not totally identical to the Gramala set.   And the website's listings for the Westminster recordings are too skimpy to say how those may have figured in the Intercord/MHS set.

(I wrote this while Todd was posting his remark.  I should point out that the dates for the Intercord/MHS set given on the website say it was begun in 1955, but don't give an ending date, except the one implied by the date of the MHS (re)issue.  We could theoretically have one sonata recorded in 1955 and 31 sonatas recorded in 1969-70.)

Todd

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 26, 2012, 06:20:33 PMThe MHS cycle was originally issued by a label named Intercord, apparently. (I don't remember ever hearing the name before.)

Intercord is a small German label; I have some late career Rudolf Firkusny Mozart concertos on the label.  It apparently didn't get underway until 1966, but that may just mean that Intercord was the European distributor for the first cycle, and MHS the US distributor, and some other person or entity produced the recordings.  The discography is also careful to state that the Gramola cycle is on an Imperial Grand whereas the earlier cycle simply states Bosendorfer.  Perhaps just a clerical oversight, perhaps not.  Based on Distler's comments in the review, and this discography, I'm inclined to think there are three cycles, unless, again, someone has concrete proof one way or the other.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brian

Look what just appeared on Naxos Music Library.

21, 22, 23, 30, 31, 32... truly jumping in at the deep end. NML somehow screwed up and put the final aria/fugue from Op 110 on the same track as the beginning of Op 111.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on November 27, 2012, 09:56:03 AM
Look what just appeared on Naxos Music Library.

21, 22, 23, 30, 31, 32... truly jumping in at the deep end. NML somehow screwed up and put the final aria/fugue from Op 110 on the same track as the beginning of Op 111.

That's an incomplete cycle as far as I can tell.  Ms Chemin recorded three volumes at the turn of the century and stopped.  Some discs are still available in France.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

betterthanfine

Question time! I know Kempff's mono cycle is held in high regard in these parts, but how do people feel his stereo recordings compare?

Brian

Todd alert: Jonathan Biss, volume 2, comes in January. Moonlight, Op 7, and Op 78.

Meanwhile, I'm so glad I got that Serkin box. I'm in love with what I've heard so far.

George

Quote from: Brian on December 17, 2012, 08:07:15 AM
Todd alert: Jonathan Biss, volume 2, comes in January. Moonlight, Op 7, and Op 78.

Meanwhile, I'm so glad I got that Serkin box. I'm in love with what I've heard so far.

Then I suggest that you keep an eye out for the mono stuff, as it's at least a notch above the stereo recordings, IMO.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Brian

Thanks, George. A notch above this, is a must-hear. :)

Details of the last volume from Francois-Frederic Guy have arrived; it will be released in February 2013. Also in February: volume 2 of Yuri Martynov's Beethoven/Liszt symphonies project will contain Symphonies 1 and 7, on the same 1837 Erard piano.

DavidA

Quote from: david-jw on November 25, 2012, 04:34:37 AM
A  "hairs of the back of the neck" Waldstein imo found on thus budget set:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solomon-Master-Pianist/dp/B00166QKJM/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1353850248&sr=1-1

I have this set. The Beethoven performances are tremendous. The Hammerklavier is great.

DavidA

Quote from: betterthanfine on November 29, 2012, 12:24:30 PM
Question time! I know Kempff's mono cycle is held in high regard in these parts, but how do people feel his stereo recordings compare?

I have the stereo cycle and parts of the mono cycle. I would say on the whole the mono is the one to go for as Kempff's technique is that bit more assured. The stereo remake is very fine, though.

DavidA

Quote from: Brian on December 17, 2012, 08:07:15 AM

Yes, I have the Serkin box too. He was a great Beethoven player.

aukhawk

Is it a portent that this thread has reached page 111?

Beale

Hello guys, back for another question. What are your best recommendations for op 110, no. 31 in A flat major?

Mandryka

Quote from: Beale on January 02, 2013, 07:20:35 AM
Hello guys, back for another question. What are your best recommendations for op 110, no. 31 in A flat major?

The live Gulda from Montpellier in 1993. And Yvonne Lefebvre.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Beale on January 02, 2013, 07:20:35 AM

Rudolf Serkin, 1960, SONY. The Unreleased Studio Recordings 3CD set

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

George

Brian

Quote from: George on January 02, 2013, 11:41:49 AM
Rudolf Serkin, 1960, SONY. The Unreleased Studio Recordings 3CD set[/1]

This box includes Serkin 1960 and 1971:

I actually listened to the 1960 a few days ago and liked it very much. But I had divided attention (was writing), so now I want to hear it again.

For big emotional impact, I prefer Gilels/DG, but the most-played version in my collection, since it was released in 2011, is probably Penelope Crawford's. She's playing an 1830 piano, but she's such a great artist that the piano sound is an added feature instead of the main attraction.

George

Quote from: Brian on January 02, 2013, 11:48:38 AM
I actually listened to the 1960 a few days ago and liked it very much. But I had divided attention (was writing), so now I want to hear it again.

And I'll want to know what you think.

QuoteFor big emotional impact, I prefer Gilels/DG...

His is one of my #2 picks. It's a tie between Annie Fischer (Hungaroton), Kempff(st) (DG), Gilels (DG) and Bernard Roberts (Nimbus)

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on January 02, 2013, 11:48:38 AM
This box includes Serkin 1960 and 1971:

For big emotional impact, I prefer Gilels/DG, but the most-played version in my collection, since it was released in 2011, is probably Penelope Crawford's. She's playing an 1830 piano, but she's such a great artist that the piano sound is an added feature instead of the main attraction.

In spite of my pretty good-sized piano collection, I only have one CD by Rudolf Serkin and probably do not have any of his recordings on LP either ...