Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octave

Quote from: NJ Joe on March 13, 2013, 05:16:45 PM
I have not yet had a chance to peruse this thread, but I am currently immersing myself in the Gulda/Eloquence set, starting at the beginning and working in order. I'm currently up to No. 7, listening to each work 2-3-4 times.

For the first time, after several tries over the years with various performances, these pieces are being unlocked for me. It's an experience that is beyond words.

I am 100% for that Gulda set, Joe; it totally knocked me out when I got it not very long ago.  FYI maybe you would dig Gulda's Mozart sonatas as well and maybe for similar reasons, if your response is like mine; I just got the COMPLETE MOZART TAPES set (the one that collected the smaller Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 sets), and even though the recorded sound is iffy, his playing is marvelous.  I am glad I have alternatives for these pieces, but I must say that Gulda ignites them.  Sorry for the off-topic digression, everyone.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Wanderer

Mandryka

Quote from: Holden on March 14, 2013, 01:32:13 AM
I have another Sokolov Hammerklavier that I rate very highly. It's from 1975 and the slow movement is just so superbly played, but then again so is the rest of the sonata. It is my favourite version. Hasanyone else heard it and can compare it to this 2012 rendition?

But why din't you just listen to the 2012 yourself?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Wanderer, Todd and George
Yes.

Well, that's saved me a few quid.

NJ Joe

Quote from: Octave on March 14, 2013, 06:01:37 AM
I am 100% for that Gulda set, Joe; it totally knocked me out when I got it not very long ago.  FYI maybe you would dig Gulda's Mozart sonatas as well and maybe for similar reasons, if your response is like mine; I just got the COMPLETE MOZART TAPES set (the one that collected the smaller Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 sets), and even though the recorded sound is iffy, his playing is marvelous.  I am glad I have alternatives for these pieces, but I must say that Gulda ignites them.  Sorry for the off-topic digression, everyone.

I appreciate your comments, as I've been reading up on Gulda and learning that he was thought highly of as a Mozart interpreter. I most definitely plan on exploring his Mozart, as well as his WTC Book II (I have Book I and love it).
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

Brian

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

Quote from: Todd on March 28, 2013, 07:22:38 AM

Sure looks that way.  Now I'm left wondering, should I buy?

With a name like James Brawn, how can you go wrong?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Todd

Quote from: George on March 28, 2013, 07:45:00 AMWith a name like James Brawn, how can you go wrong?

What if his playing is characterized by delicate legato?  (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)  No, I know I will buy.  Do I buy disc by disc, or wait a few years and buy all at once?

George

Quote from: Todd on March 28, 2013, 07:52:38 AM

What if his playing is characterized by delicate legato?  (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)  No, I know I will buy.  Do I buy disc by disc, or wait a few years and buy all at once?

I say wait.

Todd

Quote from: George on March 28, 2013, 10:22:28 AMI say wait.

I'm inclined to agree, unless I start reading that his cycle is The Bomb.

Brian

Quote from: Todd on March 28, 2013, 11:39:20 AM
I'm inclined to agree, unless I start reading that his cycle is The Bomb.

You can at least wait long enough to find out how long a delay there will be between issues, I s'pose.

MusicWeb offered the chance to review Yundi (Li)'s new 8/14/23, but I listened to clips and it sounded like a snooze. I don't like having to write reviews when the words that come to mind are "average, plain, same."

Todd

Quote from: Brian on March 28, 2013, 11:49:34 AMYou can at least wait long enough to find out how long a delay there will be between issues, I s'pose.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the whole thing is slated to be done in about 2020.

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on March 28, 2013, 11:49:34 AM
... when the words that come to mind are "average, plain, same."

That's an adequate review of it, right there.  ;)

Add "perfectly nice" to the mix, that wonderfully cliched (sometimes very useful) phrase of damnation with faint praise... because it's that, too. Listened to it a few times, then twice more out of courtesy, then it went onto the thanksbutnothanks pile.

kishnevi

Quote from: jlaurson on March 28, 2013, 03:45:16 PM

Add "perfectly nice" to the mix, that wonderfully cliched (sometimes very useful) phrase of damnation with faint praise... because it's that, too. Listened to it a few times, then twice more out of courtesy, then it went onto the thanksbutnothanks pile.

I have both the Yundi CD and Jonathan Biss's second volume en route to me from Arkivmusic; I expect a contrast.  But even as I ordered it, I expected Yundi's performance to fit into the "perfectly nice" category (or what I often think of as "a safe choice to suggest to someone who has had no real exposure to [composer/music genre/specific genre by a specific composer] ) .

George

Quote from: jlaurson on March 28, 2013, 03:45:16 PM

Nice is not a word I ever want to see in a Beethoven review. I'd run for the hills.

Fred

BEen listening to Byron Janis (op21, 17', 109) in the new box set.  What a stunning pianist he was in prime.  Terrible that he didn't record more beethoven.

Wakefield

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 28, 2013, 07:21:44 PM
I have both the Yundi CD and Jonathan Biss's second volume en route to me from Arkivmusic; I expect a contrast.  But even as I ordered it, I expected Yundi's performance to fit into the "perfectly nice" category (or what I often think of as "a safe choice to suggest to someone who has had no real exposure to [composer/music genre/specific genre by a specific composer] ) .

It's a great practical lesson about how to be condescending in music.  ;)

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

George

Quote from: Fred on March 31, 2013, 01:36:52 AM
BEen listening to Byron Janis (op21, 17', 109) in the new box set.  What a stunning pianist he was in prime.  Terrible that he didn't record more beethoven.

I agree.

Mandryka

Quote from: sanantonio on March 31, 2013, 04:58:55 AM
Jonathan Biss has so far impressed me the most of all the newer cycles in progress; his playing of Beethoven is almost perfect for my taste.

Have you read his book, Beethoven's Shadow?