Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Todd on February 13, 2014, 11:34:36 AM
What do you think of Yaeko Yamane's cycle?
I was going to ask about Lucchesini's but BO says "available." And then I got sad that people can't buy Lucchesini's set anymore. It's like evangelizing for a heaven that's already full.  :(

Todd

Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2014, 11:56:59 AMI was going to ask about Lucchesini's but BO says "available." And then I got sad that people can't buy Lucchesini's set anymore. It's like evangelizing for a heaven that's already full.  :(

Yes, it is most unfortunate that Lucchesini is OOP.  Maybe it will come back to market.  It should.

I wonder if BO has any comments on Michael Houstoun's set or Shoko Sugitani's set, too.  Both are currently available and have been for years, but pretty much no one who posts online ever comments about them.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

amw

And what about the cycle by the fascinatingly obscure Peruvian pianist Ayahualpa Camaxtliatepec? Some strange interpretive choices (I believe this may be the slowest "Tempest" I've ever heard) but well worth having for comparison. Amazon doesn't list it but I know there are a few copies still in stock at the Inca Music Centre on the slopes of Nevado Santo Domingo, a two-day donkey ride from Cuzco. (You may want to call in advance to check—ask for Manuel)

Todd

Quote from: amw on February 13, 2014, 12:36:56 PMAnd what about the cycle by the fascinatingly obscure Peruvian pianist Ayahualpa Camaxtliatepec? Some strange interpretive choices (I believe this may be the slowest "Tempest" I've ever heard) but well worth having for comparison. Amazon doesn't list it but I know there are a few copies still in stock at the Inca Music Centre on the slopes of Nevado Santo Domingo, a two-day donkey ride from Cuzco. (You may want to call in advance to check—ask for Manuel)

Modestly amusing, but BO claims to have owned or currently own all available stereo cycles, so I'm just hoping s/he has some insight on some obscure cycles.  I'm only interested in ones that require a bit of mouse clicking.

Brian

Quote from: amw on February 13, 2014, 12:36:56 PM
And what about the cycle by the fascinatingly obscure Peruvian pianist Ayahualpa Camaxtliatepec? Some strange interpretive choices (I believe this may be the slowest "Tempest" I've ever heard) but well worth having for comparison. Amazon doesn't list it but I know there are a few copies still in stock at the Inca Music Centre on the slopes of Nevado Santo Domingo, a two-day donkey ride from Cuzco. (You may want to call in advance to check—ask for Manuel)
You had me going for a sentence and a half but by the end I was doubled up in silent don't-disturb-the-office laughter.

Baroque Obama

Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2014, 11:56:59 AM
I was going to ask about Lucchesini's but BO says "available." And then I got sad that people can't buy Lucchesini's set anymore. It's like evangelizing for a heaven that's already full.  :(
"Availability" of course depends on many things Brian. Should I be proud that I have Lucchesini's cycle? I don't remember turning to those in recent years.

Baroque Obama

Quote from: amw on February 13, 2014, 12:36:56 PM

Great response to arrogance and narcissism :)

Todd

Quote from: Baroque Obama on February 13, 2014, 01:00:14 PM"Availability" of course depends on many things Brian.

No it doesn't.  Available means available - as in it can be purchased.  I can only surmise that you not addressing my questions means that you either lied about having all available cycles, or you are ignorant of what is available.  Which is it?

Brian

MusicWeb just sent me a batch of three new Beethoven sonata CDs to review.

Steven Masi plays Op. 14 (both), Op. 57 "Appassionata", and Op. 110
Here's my review of Masi Volume I
By the way, the executive producer is one David Strathairn.

Maria Perrotta plays Opp. 109-111, plus a Scriabin etude which is placed last as an encore.

Inna Faliks plays the Eroica Variations and Op. 111, plus the Polonaise in C, which I've somehow never heard.

All three of these were recorded in January-February 2013, with the Perrotta being recorded live in one night. And I still have to review James Brawn's Pathetique-Moonlight-Waldstein album.

kishnevi

Currently listening to Jonathan Biss's latest installment (Vol. 3: Op. 28, Op. 31/1, Op. 53

Not as hard edged as some others I've heard;  more lyrical and softer touches, seems somewhat slower paced, especially in the Waldstein. Overall approach is coherent, just not quite how I prefer the music to be played.

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 13, 2014, 05:34:17 PMseems somewhat slower paced

Even in the Pastoral?!? What performances do you know that are significantly faster than Biss's Pastoral?

The Waldstein is indeed slower and softer-edged, but that is actually how I like my Waldsteins (except Brautigam and a few other exceptions).

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2014, 05:47:15 PM
Even in the Pastoral?!? What performances do you know that are significantly faster than Biss's Pastoral?

The Waldstein is indeed slower and softer-edged, but that is actually how I like my Waldsteins (except Brautigam and a few other exceptions).

I did make specific reference to Op. 53, not Op. 28!

The Pastoral in fact did not seem very much out of the average from what I remember of other performances.

Baroque Obama

Quote from: Todd on February 13, 2014, 01:04:56 PM

No it doesn't.  Available means available - as in it can be purchased.  I can only surmise that you not addressing my questions means that you either lied about having all available cycles, or you are ignorant of what is available.  Which is it?

Surmise all the way, but if you guess only two options that are self-absorbed...

The answer you were looking for is, my wife is a kindergarten teacher and thought me how to deal with the likes of you. But I must admit I am not equipped to deal with a whole nursery so I'll follow my own statement which one of your enablers kindly reminded me, not understanding that I was proving my point for the reasonable audience, that is if there are left any...

Todd

Quote from: Baroque Obama on February 14, 2014, 05:45:55 AM
Surmise all the way, but if you guess only two options that are self-absorbed...

Curious, you post words like "arrogance" and phrases like "self-absorbed", yet it was you who previously posted that Schnabel and Badura-Skoda abuse Beethoven's music.  They are renowned artists, and you are a nobody.  Who offers greater insights into Beethoven?

As to the rest of your feeble attempt at a sanctimonious post, you are clearly an ignoramus when it comes to what Beethoven is available, but you can't admit it.  The internet is really quite easy to use.  You should spend a bit of time figuring out how to use it.

Cosi bel do

Quote from: Mandryka on February 13, 2014, 09:13:51 AM
And yet I think that Heidsieck is slightly irritating and full of mannerisms. Rubato's a strange thing, and like lovers' faces, what you like and dislike is so subjective that really, you have to suck everything and see. I'm no more positive about Gulda 2, though I'm not sure I'd noticed that  it's full of mannerisms. Can you point out an example or two, so I can listen?

Anyway the main thing I want to say is that no discussion of Richter's Beethoven should leave out his wonderful op 14s on BBC Legends.

Of course, but I was only mentioning the best Richter versions available. Unfortunately this BBCL CD is not...

Quote from: Todd on February 13, 2014, 10:39:49 AM

Heidsieck's set is most definitely filled with mannerisms - it's one of the most mannered sets in existence, or at least among the 75.75 complete sets I've heard.  That written, I find it among the best cycles yet recorded.  I find Gulda far less mannered, and he, too, is among the best ever.

In your opinion, of course. I've rarely encountered people who are really interested in piano interpretation and ine Beethoven sonatas, and who like Gulda...
But that's just like people who like Kempff, when I barely consider him as a "pianist". ;) As I was saying in introduction, all that is a matter of taste and, sometimes, I wonder if everyone hears the same thing. I'll think about a blind comparison on a Beethoven sonata in the near future (when this experience was done on other forums, Arrau, Grinberg and Edwin Fischer were generally ahead)...

Todd

Quote from: Cosi bel do on February 14, 2014, 10:03:02 AMIn your opinion, of course.

I wrote it, so of course it's my opinion.  Writing IMO, or some variation thereof, on a message board is an exercise in redundancy. 

Wanderer

Quote from: Cosi bel do on February 14, 2014, 10:03:02 AM
I've rarely encountered people who are really interested in piano interpretation and in Beethoven sonatas, and who like Gulda...

It is us, the not so rarae aves of the musical world!

Mandryka

Quote from: Cosi bel do on February 14, 2014, 10:03:02 AM

But that's just like people who like Kempff, when I barely consider him as a "pianist". ;)

Are you talking about the stereo recordings or the mono or both ?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on February 14, 2014, 11:12:21 AMAre you talking about the stereo recordings or the mono ?

And when discussing mono, is one considering the 78s or the tape recordings.