Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Started by George, July 21, 2007, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Michael Houstoun interviewed over several hours about the beethoven sonatas

http://www.radionz.co.nz/concert/programmes/beethovenrecycle

Todd

Coming next month.  I'm not a fan of Pienaar's Mozart, but I do think I will be getting this.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

Kiwis know how to do Beethoven.  My copy of Michael Houstoun's new cycle arrived today, and the packaging and presentation is of the super-deluxe variety.  The book is about 190 pages, includes a summary of each sonata, a lengthy biography of the pianist, and some lavish photos.  The text is English only, so it appears to be meant for the home market only.  The discs are stored in a flipbook style package.  I did a quick sound check of disc one, which opens with 10/3.  Sound and playing are none too shabby.  I look forward to listening a bit more.  I'm thinking of waiting until Pienaar's cycle is released and doing an A/B, though I doubt I can wait that long.

Holden

I'm also wondering how it compares with his previous cycle which is available for a listen on NML.

I'll  be very interested to hear your thoughts Todd.
Cheers

Holden

Todd

Quote from: Holden on January 09, 2015, 12:29:12 PM
I'm also wondering how it compares with his previous cycle which is available for a listen on NML.

I'll  be very interested to hear your thoughts Todd.

I'll be able to A/B the last five sonatas between both sets since I downloaded the first set a few years ago, but it will take a bit of time.  I've got a to-listen to pile that is rather large, though, of course, LvB sonatas always, or at least usually, jump to the head of the pack.

Oldnslow

Is the Houstoun set really 14 CDs? Must be some kind of record for most discs in a complete set.....

Todd

Quote from: Oldnslow on January 09, 2015, 09:12:27 PM
Is the Houstoun set really 14 CDs? Must be some kind of record for most discs in a complete set.....

Yes.  The discs are basically LP length - 45ish minutes, give or take a few minutes - with each of the seven recitals split into to two discs.

Fred

I've been listening to vol 2 of the Complete Beethoven Sonatas by a pianist called Younhwa Lee which I pulled down off the net.  I would, in fact, love to purchase the complete set, because her playing has tonnes of personality.  However, the only thing I've been able to find out about her is that she is a professor of piano at Chung Ang University in Korea.  No indications where the complete set can be purchased, if it is available.  Anyone know anything more. 

Holden

Quote from: Fred on January 10, 2015, 01:47:08 PM
I've been listening to vol 2 of the Complete Beethoven Sonatas by a pianist called Younhwa Lee which I pulled down off the net.  I would, in fact, love to purchase the complete set, because her playing has tonnes of personality.  However, the only thing I've been able to find out about her is that she is a professor of piano at Chung Ang University in Korea.  No indications where the complete set can be purchased, if it is available.  Anyone know anything more.

Perhaps you could ask her

Jlee@siu.edu
Cheers

Holden

Todd

Quote from: Fred on January 10, 2015, 01:47:08 PMAnyone know anything more.

I wish I did.  Volume 2 has half the sonatas, implying that volume 1 has the other half.  Could be a heretofore unknown cycle. 

Fred

Thank you Holden.  But she might not be pleased with the circumstances in which I have, ahem, obtained Vol 2.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Fred on January 11, 2015, 08:42:12 PM
Thank you Holden.  But she might not be pleased with the circumstances in which I have, ahem, obtained Vol 2.

I'll bet she would be delighted to have been noticed and appreciated! Just don't forget to ask where the music can be purchased. 
It's all good...

Brian

I had a professor who told us, "I'm so glad my books are online for free now! Finally, people will read them!" She'd been lobbying years for her publishers to let her do it herself.

Anyway, just say that you "acquired" the recordings, without saying how. :)

Fred

Thank you all for your advice.  Reminds me of a New Yorker cartoon I read in which a fan goes up to a musician and says: "I'm a big fan, I've downloaded all of your stuff".  I will give it a go.

Mateus

I bought Younwha Lee's set at http://www.gmarket.co.kr/. You have to search for her name in Korean (이연화), though.

Brian

At long last, this Saturday my copy of Eric Heidsieck's 32 arrived from Berkshire Record Outlet. New and in the shrink wrap, 19 years after it was printed. So far I've listened to 12, 13, and 15, and while I haven't heard any of the eccentricities and strong-minded ideas Heidsieck is famous around here for, everything I have heard has been immaculate, deeply intelligent, and oh-so satisfying.

EDIT: Never mind about the "no eccentricities," I just got to the Pastoral sonata's scherzo. Zoinks  ???

Todd

Pollini's last disc in his cycle.  The watchword is speed.  Unyielding, relentless speed.  He plays faster than even Gulda (Amadeo, natch) most of the time.  He shaves off close to a minute in the slow movement of 31/2 compared to his earlier recording.  (Overall, I prefer the earlier recording a bit.)  Even the Op 49 sonatas are taken fast.  The sound is too distant and unclear for my tastes.  Yet.  Yet, this is a successful disc.  Pollini is deadly serious, even when he plays the light-hearted outer movements of 31/1.  But unlike the early sonatas - especially Op 7, which is basically crushed under Pollini's awesome fingers - this music can take it.  The fast movements are exhilarating at times.  These are not the best Op 31 sonatas out there, or even in the top five (or ten?) for me, but they do serve to show that while other pianists search for unique individual insights and so on, Pollini will have none of such musical tomfoolery, and instead sits down to play serious music seriously.  Pollini does let up a bit with the Op 49 sonatas, but these are not dainty little gems.  They are heavy-duty light Beethoven pieces.  A good, solid end to a cycle that peaked impossibly high with the late sonatas, and had some other exceptional high points (eg, the live Waldstein).  But now what is left for Mr Pollini?

George

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2015, 06:26:51 PM
At long last, this Saturday my copy of Eric Heidsieck's 32 arrived from Berkshire Record Outlet. New and in the shrink wrap, 19 years after it was printed. So far I've listened to 12, 13, and 15, and while I haven't heard any of the eccentricities and strong-minded ideas Heidsieck is famous around here for, everything I have heard has been immaculate, deeply intelligent, and oh-so satisfying.

EDIT: Never mind about the "no eccentricities," I just got to the Pastoral sonata's scherzo. Zoinks  ???

Indeed! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbJMTvzArA
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Fred

MATEUS - Many many thanks.  Will order.