Worst looking CD/LP artwork

Started by Maciek, April 12, 2007, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Mookalafalas on June 02, 2015, 08:44:22 PM
I couldn't find a smaller version of this. Sorry.

Well, Copland was gay.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Mookalafalas on June 02, 2015, 08:44:22 PM
I couldn't find a smaller version of this. Sorry.

I must admit that I'm not bothered by this cover at all. Well, not totally. The only things that bother me are pretty insignificant, such as the diagonal text (I'm not a fan of diagonal text), the pink text touching David and Gerard's hair, and the word "conductor" clashing with the chrome on the clarinet (which, in The Grand Scheme Of Things, is nothin').

That's about it. Everything else says "fun!" to me. Especially the bow ties. I don't know why, but I keep focusing on those bow ties.

kishnevi

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 03, 2015, 03:11:50 PM
I must admit that I'm not bothered by this cover at all. Well, not totally. The only things that bother me are pretty insignificant, such as the diagonal text (I'm not a fan of diagonal text), the pink text touching David and Gerard's hair, and the word "conductor" clashing with the chrome on the clarinet (which, in The Grand Scheme Of Things, is nothin').

That's about it. Everything else says "fun!" to me. Especially the bow ties. I don't know why, but I keep focusing on those bow ties.
Text shooting out of the soloist's head is odd.
But the oddest thing to me is the placement of the EMI logo,  the label label.  Usually tucked into a corner but here prominently emblazoned on the conductor's tux.

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 03, 2015, 06:58:36 PM
Text shooting out of the soloist's head is odd.

Yep. (It's as if David is thinking: "Quiet City, Dance Panels...")

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 03, 2015, 06:58:36 PMBut the oddest thing to me is the placement of the EMI logo, the label label. Usually tucked into a corner but here prominently emblazoned on the conductor's tux.

I didn't even notice the EMI logo until you mentioned it. Now that you have mentioned it, I'm noticing it. Wow, that's large. And its placement is bizarre, as if the graphic designer was determined to make that logo a part of Gerard's suit. (Graphic Designer: "Can we make it bigger? No? That's as big as we can make it? Are you sure?")

For me, the sensible place to put the logo is in the bottom left (and make it smaller). But it would still be a part of Gerard's clothing. I'll see what I can do about that. Time to fire up the graphics editing program.

Peter Power Pop

Here's a modified version of that Copland cover:

Corrections:

1) The pink text is no longer touching David and Gerard's hair (because the text ain't there anymore).

2) David is now thinking about Quiet City and Dance Panels.

3) The EMI logo is a much more sensible size and tucked away in the bottom right corner.

4) The clarinet chrome that was bothering the text has been removed to make the text clearer.

Here's the original for comparison:

Peter Power Pop

For Martha Argerich album covers, I reckon they don't get much worse than this:

I've seen some pretty awful covers featuring Martha, but that one takes it to a new level of "What???".

(I found that cover whilst lurking in this post on this very forum.)

Florestan

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 03, 2015, 06:58:36 PM
But the oddest thing to me is the placement of the EMI logo

The oddest thing is David's and Gerard's positioning. It's as if they were having... ummm, never mind.  ;D ;D ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Florestan on June 05, 2015, 12:08:53 AM
The oddest thing is David's and Gerard's positioning. It's as if they were having... ummm, never mind.  ;D ;D ;D

The way I put it is: They're having fun. Wearing bow ties.

Peter Power Pop

Yuuuuuuck.

It looks to me like someone was a bit too enthusiastic with the "Oil Paint" Filter in Photoshop.

(Image found in this post.)

EigenUser

Quote from: orfeo on June 01, 2015, 01:49:53 AM
Maybe you should read your own post again, as you've clearly forgotten it!

If you weren't thinking about it, it's very impressive that you managed to write about an issue you weren't thinking about. You even managed to put it first in your list of issues you weren't thinking about.
Stop ruining our fun!

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 04, 2015, 11:49:52 PM
For Martha Argerich album covers, I reckon they don't get much worse than this.
I disagree. It is horrible, but at least they were trying to be "artsy". This, however, there is just no excuse for:
[asin]B000001G4S[/asin]
Most of these are screwed up due to some poor or over-creative graphic designer, but this is the opposite.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: EigenUser on June 05, 2015, 02:08:32 AM
I disagree. It is horrible, but at least they were trying to be "artsy". This, however, there is just no excuse for:
[asin]B000001G4S[/asin]
Most of these are screwed up due to some poor or over-creative graphic designer, but this is the opposite.

Wow. That is one of the least flattering photos of a musician I have ever seen.

Possible Scenario Regarding The Photo 1: Somebody took a photo of Martha watching another musician play, but she wasn't enjoying the other musician's performance all that much.

Possible Scenario Regarding The Photo 2: Martha was at a party, and not very interested in the conversation that the people near her were having. The photographer took a photo of the moment, and decided to crop out the other people, leaving an image of Martha being uninterested in the other people who aren't in the photo.

Madiel

Possible Scenario 3: She doesn't give a shit what people think about her looks, she's interested in how they think she sounds.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on June 05, 2015, 07:27:24 AM
Martha at her least flattering is still hot.

Agree, and I like her expression. Of course it's not a good photo. The arm is chopped off awkwardly for one thing (like the mistake I made with a photo of Mrs. Rock I posted recently). But she looks good.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 04, 2015, 05:39:51 PM
Here's a modified version of that Copland cover:

Corrections:

1) The pink text is no longer touching David and Gerard's hair (because the text ain't there anymore).

2) David is now thinking about Quiet City and Dance Panels.

3) The EMI logo is a much more sensible size and tucked away in the bottom right corner.

4) The clarinet chrome that was bothering the text has been removed to make the text clearer.

Well and if we want it to look actually decent, lets straighten that text and include the names of the other works under Clarinet Concerto. Copland's name on a single row, of course.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: North Star on June 05, 2015, 08:40:46 AM

Well and if we want it to look actually decent, lets straighten that text and include the names of the other works under Clarinet Concerto. Copland's name on a single row, of course.

Okey dokey.

I've straightened the text:

Your other suggestions might take a while, but we'll get there.

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 04, 2015, 11:49:52 PM
For Martha Argerich album covers, I reckon they don't get much worse than this:

I've seen some pretty awful covers featuring Martha, but that one takes it to a new level of "What???".

(I found that cover whilst lurking in this post on this very forum.)

Is the cross to ward away vampires? 

Ken B

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on June 05, 2015, 04:52:55 PM
Okey dokey.

I wonder what it would look like if Quiet City and Dance Panels were hoizontal where Schwarz's name is, and Schwartz's name were in the bubble.

North Star

Okey dokey.

A good start ;)

My photographs on Flickr

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: North Star on June 05, 2015, 08:40:46 AM

Okey dokey.

We got there:

I couldn't quite get the titles of the other works to fit comfortably under the "Clarinet Concerto" text (they would have been way too small). So I put 'em where I put 'em.

Here's the original to see how far it's strayed from what it looked like in the first place:

North Star

The way Shifrin is surrounded by the text is a bit disturbing, but still this is an improvement. Smaller font for 'Clarinet Concerto', ditch Copland's first name, find a decent photo of the two artists and it's approaching a decent cover ;D

My photographs on Flickr