Richard Arnell (1917-2009)

Started by vandermolen, July 29, 2007, 02:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on August 01, 2008, 02:11:43 PM
Oh... :(

Cheer up, Colin!  :) I am hardly depressed at the end! But it is as I said.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

You are clearly a more perceptive listener than I am :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on August 01, 2008, 02:21:48 PM
You are clearly a more perceptive listener than I am :)

It's only my view. I could be hearing too much!
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on August 01, 2008, 02:43:44 PM
It's only my view. I could be hearing too much!

No, no, Johan......don't worry :) :)  Sorry!!

I am just frustrated at how difficult it was to copy three album covers into the 'Purchases Today' thread(took me four attempts because of resizing issues!).

(Also hacked off that nine minutes away from my birthday I am in a bit of pain :()

J.Z. Herrenberg

MANY HAPPY [AND PAINLESS] RETURNS, COLIN!!

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on August 01, 2008, 03:00:39 PM
MANY HAPPY [AND PAINLESS] RETURNS, COLIN!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH INDEED!! I really appreciate that :)

(I did get a letter from the surgeon today to tell me that I would hear "soon" about my op. I bet 'soon' is a word of considerable elasticity!)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on August 01, 2008, 03:04:58 PM
(I did get a letter from the surgeon today to tell me that I would hear "soon" about my op. I bet 'soon' is a word of considerable elasticity!)

His assistant could have simply phoned you. They're playing for time... 'Elastic', indeed.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on August 01, 2008, 02:51:14 PM
No, no, Johan......don't worry :) :)  Sorry!!

I am just frustrated at how difficult it was to copy three album covers into the 'Purchases Today' thread(took me four attempts because of resizing issues!).

(Also hacked off that nine minutes away from my birthday I am in a bit of pain :()

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FROM ME TOO COLIN!  :) :) :)

Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 02, 2008, 12:18:25 AM

Quote from: Jezetha on August 01, 2008, 03:00:39 PMMANY HAPPY [AND PAINLESS] RETURNS, COLIN!!

As always, I'm a bit late. Still: many happy returns, dear Colin !! Hope you wille enjoy many fine new Arnell recordings to follow  :D :D :) :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

sound67

Just picked up Arnell's "Lord Byron - Symphonic Portrait" during my Proms trip:

Thomas
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on August 02, 2008, 12:18:25 AM

Jeffrey

Thank you very much, Jeffrey!

Quote from: Christo on August 02, 2008, 12:24:25 AM
As always, I'm a bit late. Still: many happy returns, dear Colin !! Hope you wille enjoy many fine new Arnell recordings to follow  :D :D :) :)

Bedankt, Johan!!

Dundonnell

Quote from: vandermolen on July 30, 2008, 02:47:25 PM
Bizarre, isn't it? But that's what it says in the booklet notes.

I've just listened to the whole CD again and like it more and more. The Angels, in particular.  The slow movement is quite beautiful and the very beginning and end of the work is especially memorable.  The Great Detective is good fun with some great moments.

I agree with you about the new Arnell Ballets CD from Dutton. "The Angels" is a particularly impressive score with a splendid slow movement. In his booklet notes the indefatigable advocate of lesser-known British music, Lewis Foreman, jokes that those involved with the recording christened that score as Arnell's Symphony No. 5 and a half :) It certainly is a symphonic work of genuine substance.

I don't wish to be morbid but, given Arnell's age(91) I do hope that Dutton intend to record more of his music sooner rather than later.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on August 03, 2008, 04:23:58 PM
I agree with you about the new Arnell Ballets CD from Dutton. "The Angels" is a particularly impressive score with a splendid slow movement. In his booklet notes the indefatigable advocate of lesser-known British music, Lewis Foreman, jokes that those involved with the recording christened that score as Arnell's Symphony No. 5 and a half :) It certainly is a symphonic work of genuine substance.

I don't wish to be morbid but, given Arnell's age(91) I do hope that Dutton intend to record more of his music sooner rather than later.

Yes, me too but at least he has lived to see two cycles of his symphonies being recorded and much renewed interest in his music on both sides of the Atlantic.  Just wished they'd played Symphony 5 (or 3) at the Proms with the old man in attendance. But that is sadly unrealistic.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Thom

I agree with you Jeffrey about the Ballet Music cd: The Angels is definitely the better score, however - I may add - not in the same league as the symphonies. Still a nice addition to his discography. Couldn't agree more with your wish about Dutton to record more.

vandermolen

Quote from: Thom on August 11, 2008, 06:55:07 AM
I agree with you Jeffrey about the Ballet Music cd: The Angels is definitely the better score, however - I may add - not in the same league as the symphonies. Still a nice addition to his discography. Couldn't agree more with your wish about Dutton to record more.

Hi Thom,

I find that I am enjoying the Dutton CD with the Symphony 2 and Piano Concerto on more and more. No 3 and 5 remain my favourites; terrific scores which deserve performances.

Best wishes

Jeffrey

Thom

Hello Jeffrey,

Yes we agree. S2 and the piano co are gradually catching up with the other symphonies, the more i listen to them. What happened with the first symphony by the way? Was is withdrawn by Arnell or is there a chance that the 1st will be released by Dutton also?

Thom

vandermolen

Quote from: Thom on August 11, 2008, 10:52:32 PM
Hello Jeffrey,

Yes we agree. S2 and the piano co are gradually catching up with the other symphonies, the more i listen to them. What happened with the first symphony by the way? Was is withdrawn by Arnell or is there a chance that the 1st will be released by Dutton also?

Thom

Hi Thom,

The article below has some info about Symphony 1 ("Chamber Symphony"). No idea about a recording but I'll keep my fingers crossed!

http://www.musicweb-international.com/arnell/index.htm

There is also now an Arnell website but the link to the musical extract from Symphony 1 does not work:

http://www.richardarnell.com/index.html

Jeffrey

Thom

yes of course, that article. I read it some time ago but forgot. The writer calls the 1st "......a very attractive work full of melodic invention, an enviable clarity of texture and a welcome contrast of energy and tenderness." so there may be hope that it is considered worth of a recording.

Thank you for the url to that website. Didn't know that one.

Thom

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 12, 2008, 12:23:23 AM
The article below has some info about Symphony 1 ("Chamber Symphony"). No idea about a recording but I'll keep my fingers crossed!

According to the info provided by the Music Director of MusicaNova, coming with their new release of the fourth and fifth symphonies (see Musicweb review: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2008/May08/arnell45_CBR27452.htm), they have recorded all six of the symphonies!

"We have not mastered any of the remaining works - both time and money are at a premium, but I fully intend to get on trying to get more finished this summer, and if possible to record some more works - we did the Sinfonia Quasi Variazione and Ode to the West Wind as a 90th birthday tribute to Arnell this part fall, and the works were very enthusiastically received."

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Thom

http://www.musicanovaaz.org/recordingsrelease8_14_05.htm

This is an interesting though maybe somewhat outdated newsitem on the Musica Nova website. In it a schedule is mentioned: "The first recording, which includes Symphonies no. 2 and no. 5, will be internationally released in June of 2006 with Symphonies no. 3 and no. 6 released in October of 2006 and Symphonies no. 1 and no. 4 released in February of 2007.". This schedule is obviously outdated.

Worthwhile mentioning is also this quote:

"At this very moment, Arnell is working on Symphony no.7, which he is dedicating to me," continued Cohen. And if he has it ready in time (and it is 20 minutes long, as he says it will be) we will add it to the third CD, giving us Symphonies no. 1, no. 4 and no. 7 on that one."