Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 28, 2024, 10:34:09 AMHonestly, I just didn't think that K.C.'s character was written as strongly as the original movie was.
No argument. Where Marion was a partner, Willie is a mere comic encumbrance. Temple of Doom is easily the weakest in the franchise. I still enjoy the claustrophobic roller-coaster set piece, among other things.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 28, 2024, 09:46:07 AMInteresting to read the list.  There are some films listed there that I hadn't realized that he had done.  And like you, I'm quite surprised that Nightmare wasn't on there; the clever and unusual story, the singing, and the animation...well, I would have thought that that one would be on there.  Corpse Bride is another one too.

PD

Just looked at his Wiki list of films - not listed as 'Director' the the Nightmare film - the reason?  Dave

Brian

Quote from: Todd on May 28, 2024, 10:36:18 AMBlame Disney.  Literally.  Ever since it undertook to become the behemoth of the industry when it bought Marvel in 2009 - then Lucasfilm, then Fox - the entire industry has become ever more risk averse and it has begun to resemble a dominant firm industry described in industrial org textbooks.  Furiosa is what, the fifth movie in the Mad Max "universe"?  While Covid obviously did a number on movie attendance, the decline in quality and constant rehashing of the same material over and over and over again is not drawing audiences.  I mean, in addition to the Mad Max "franchise", the recent Planet of the Apes franchise film (!?!) pretty much flopped, the recent Ghostbusters franchise film (?!?) flopped, The Fall Guy (you know, the 80s TV show rehash) flopped, the Mean Girls remake flopped, the Marvel/Spiderman universe Madame Web flopped, and there are others I forgot.

But wait, there's more.  The rest of this year will see the latest movies from the following franchises: Alien, XXX, Bad Boys (wtf?), Lord of the Rings, Transformers, the Lion King, and no doubt some others. Most movies most years suck, I know that, but things have changed in that previously reliable IP is being recycled to death.  Back in the 80s, there was not a fifth sequel to Casablanca, or Singing in the Rain, or other hits of thirty to forty years before.  (OK, Father of the Bride was resurrected in the 90s.) Why pay good dough to see the same crap when one can stream it in three weeks?

This reminds me, I'd like to watch the reboot of "Fletch" on an airplane sometime. But I'm happy to wait until it's on the airplane.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on May 28, 2024, 11:26:18 AMThis reminds me, I'd like to watch the reboot of "Fletch" on an airplane sometime. But I'm happy to wait until it's on the airplane.

I did not know such a thing existed.  I looked it up.  Jon Hamm is fine, but early 80s Chevy Chase was prime Chevy Chase, to the extent such a thing exists.

Maybe Caddyshack can be remade now. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

DavidW

Quote from: Todd on May 28, 2024, 10:36:18 AMWhy pay good dough to see the same crap when one can stream it in three weeks?

When watching the trailers that was my reaction to literally all but one movie (MaXXXine).  Why go to the theater? 

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 28, 2024, 10:58:42 AMNo argument. Where Marion was a partner, Willie is a mere comic encumbrance. Temple of Doom is easily the weakest in the franchise. I still enjoy the claustrophobic roller-coaster set piece, among other things.

The sad part was that Willie was not even funny, she just screamed ALL THE TIME.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on May 28, 2024, 02:27:25 PMThe sad part was that Willie was not even funny, she just screamed ALL THE TIME.
Harsh, but fair.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: Todd on May 28, 2024, 10:36:18 AMBlame Disney.  Literally. Ever since it undertook to become the behemoth of the industry when it bought Marvel in 2009 - then Lucasfilm, then Fox - the entire industry has become ever more risk averse and it has begun to resemble a dominant firm industry described in industrial org textbooks.

.... the decline in quality and constant rehashing of the same material over and over and over again is not drawing audiences.  I mean, in addition to the Mad Max "franchise", the recent Planet of the Apes franchise film (!?!) pretty much flopped, the recent Ghostbusters franchise film (?!?) flopped, The Fall Guy (you know, the 80s TV show rehash) flopped, the Mean Girls remake flopped, the Marvel/Spiderman universe Madame Web flopped, and there are others I forgot

Hollywood now exists to supply material for satirists like The Critical Drinker and Ryan George of Pitch Meeting and others.

Plagiarize the past, re-make a classic but do it badly, make a sequel by using the same story with different actors, etc.

Just do not use an original idea!!!

And if you think you have an original idea, make sure it is a stupid mess of bizarre things, because everybody knows that being bizarre is the heart of being original...uh, maybe...

Make sure the script is full, in fact overflowing with cliches!  Don't worry about ill logic, don't bother with research to avoid errors in the story, nobody will care, e.g. if a jet plane appears in a World War I movie if the scene is awesome and TIGHT!    8)

See Ryan George...

and then The Critical Drinker:

(And no, he does NOT think it is the "Best Movie of the Year" at all!   ;D  )

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on May 28, 2024, 02:27:25 PMThe sad part was that Willie was not even funny, she just screamed ALL THE TIME.
One mildly funny item is the visual suggestion, when Jones, Willie and Short Round have taken to the air, that they pass over the Great Wall, which of course is nowhere near their flight path.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 28, 2024, 06:05:27 PMOne mildly funny item is the visual suggestion, when Jones, Willie and Short Round have taken to the air, that they pass over the Great Wall, which of course is nowhere near their flight path.
I think, too, that whenever I feel blasé about John Williams, Temple of Doom is the movie I should turn to. A lot of delicious work.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

I saw a pretty good video on the topic of people not going to movies:

Karl Henning

To her credit, she does reach through the bugs to pull the handle to save Indie's life.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 29, 2024, 11:15:41 AMTo her credit, she does reach through the bugs to pull the handle to save Indie's life.

I think I would have been like "whelp... nice knowing you." :laugh:

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on May 29, 2024, 11:32:21 AMI think I would have been like "whelp... nice knowing you." :laugh:
Funny, or bad?-- while Indie is hanging on the bridge, the worst archers in the world. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Papy Oli

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
(1937)

Hi ho, hi ho, it was very fun-oh  8)
Olivier

VonStupp

Quote from: Todd on May 28, 2024, 11:40:31 AMI did not know such a thing existed.  I looked it up.  Jon Hamm is fine, but early 80s Chevy Chase was prime Chevy Chase, to the extent such a thing exists.

Maybe Caddyshack can be remade now. 

It would have to be better than Caddyshack 2? Wouldn't it...?
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Hitchcock's Rope. Probably only the second time I've watched it, a delicious slowburn. I was prompted to revisit it by my sister's mentioning that it's her favorite Hitchcock, liking it even more than The Birds.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA