Last Movie You Watched

Started by Drasko, April 06, 2007, 07:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T. D.

A Kurosawa (loose) Shakespeare adaptation (Hamlet) which I (a massive Kurosawa fan) inexplicably never saw before.

SonicMan46

The Solid Gold Cadillac (1956) - a Cato recommendation after wife & I watched Judy Holliday in Born Yesterday - did an Amazon HD rental and really enjoyed (saw many years ago but forgot details) - brief summary below (more at link) - different story although scenes of Washington, D.C. in both - both films highly recommended.

Popeye (1980) - despite the widely varied mixed reviews, we really enjoy this comic fantasy and have watched it at least a dozen times - Williams & Duvall seem ideal in their roles (to us). BUT the reviews were mixed - Leonard Maltin declared it a BOMB in his video book; 58%, Rotten Tomatoes and 5.4/10, IMDB - HOWEVER, Roger Ebert gave the film a 3 1/2*/4* with an insightful review that I agree with wholeheartedly - but just my 2 cents.  Dave :)

P.S. Robert Altman's grandson played Swee'Pea adorably; the filming took place on the island of Malta and the Popeye Village remains a tourist attraction (LINK)

QuoteThe Solid Gold Cadillac is a 1956 American comedy film directed by Richard Quine and written by Abe Burrows, Howard Teichmann, and George S. Kaufman. It was adapted from the hit Broadway play of the same name by Teichmann and Kaufman that pillories big business and corrupt businessmen. The film stars Judy Holliday and Paul Douglas. The film is in black-and-white except for the final scene, which is presented in Technicolor.]The Solid Gold Cadillac is a 1956 American comedy film directed by Richard Quine and written by Abe Burrows, Howard Teichmann, and George S. Kaufman. It was adapted from the hit Broadway play of the same name by Teichmann and Kaufman that pillories big business and corrupt businessmen. The film stars Judy Holliday and Paul Douglas. The film is in black-and-white except for the final scene, which is presented in Technicolor. (Source)
QuotePopeye is a 1980 American musical comedy film directed by Robert Altman and produced by Paramount Pictures and Walt Disney Productions. It is based on E. C. Segar's Popeye comics character. The script was written by Jules Feiffer, and stars Robin Williams as Popeye the Sailor Man and Shelley Duvall as Olive Oyl. Its story follows Popeye's adventures as he arrives in the town of Sweethaven. The film premiered December 1980, in Los Angeles, and opened in the rest of the United States the following week. It grossed $6.3 million in its opening weekend, and $49.8 million worldwide, against a budget of $20 million. It received negative reviews from critics when it was first released, but has received improved reviews over time. (Source)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 21, 2024, 09:03:34 AMPopeye (1980) - despite the widely varied mixed reviews, we really enjoy this comic fantasy and have watched it at least a dozen times - Williams & Duvall seem ideal in their roles (to us). BUT the reviews were mixed - Leonard Maltin declared it a BOMB in his video book; 58%, Rotten Tomatoes and 5.4/10, IMDB - HOWEVER, Roger Ebert gave the film a 3 1/2*/4* with an insightful review that I agree with wholeheartedly - but just my 2 cents.  Dave
I remember not being very enthusiastic when walking out of the movie house, but I've revisited it and like it very well. And, as the commentary notes, since Ray Walston played Poopdeck Pappy. It's the only movie to feature two Television aliens: Mork and My Favorite Martian.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot